GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 03:30:27 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Static Prop Alpha Textures  (Read 4598 times)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Static Prop Alpha Textures
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:29:18 pm »

Hey, I've been stuck on this problem for a few days, and am wondering if anyone here knows the answer. I've been trying to use the alpha channel on a static grate prop to cast lightmap shadows, and regardless of what I do, I can't seem to get it to work.

I'm compiling with -StaticPropPolys, -TextureShadows, and -StaticPropLighting and I have the models included in my lights.rad, and the compile window is telling me that it loaded the grate texture just fine.

Here's an excerpt from the compile window:

Code: [Select]
Valve Radiosity Simulator     
4 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[60 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\....bsp
Loaded alpha texture materials\Goldeneye\grate02.vtf
Loaded alpha texture materials\Metal\metalgrate013a.vtf
Loaded alpha texture materials\Models\props_c17\fence_alpha.vtf
Loaded alpha texture materials\Metal\metalgrate013b.vtf
Setting up ray-trace acceleration structure... Done (0.04 seconds)

materials\Metal\metalgrate013a.vtf is the texture I'm using, so I know vrad is loading it to calculate the shadows.

Here's my .vmt:

"vertexlitgeneric"
{
"$alphatest" 1
"$basetexture" "Metal/metalgrate013a"
"$nolod" 1
"$nodecal" 1
"$surfaceprop" "metalgrate"
}

Here's my .qc, I think the problem exists somewhere in here, but I can't figure out what it is:

$staticprop
$modelname "props/library/grate02a_grate"
$scale "1.000000"
$body "Body" "grate02a_grate_ref"
$cdmaterials "models/props/library"
$sequence idle "grate02a_grate_ref"
$surfaceprop "metal"
$collisionmodel "grate02a_grate_phys"  {
$automass
}

Here's a screenshot ingame, it works fine with fourtecks' grate props from Library Classic, but I can't seem to get it working with my own(The one on the left is mine):

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1280/propshadowtest0000.jpg
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:34:14 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
Re: Static Prop Alpha Textures
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 06:49:04 pm »

Doesnt appear to be anything wrong as far as i can see :S

Tried decompiling teck's prop and checking his QC?

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 07:18:42 pm »

MDLDecompiler doesn't quite decompile props correctly, and the props have to be in the Episode 1 format in order to be decompiled (as in, they can't be decompiled, and if they could, it probably wouldn't give me whatever I'm missing).

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:37:52 pm »

$translucent 1

... I think that's what you need. Instead of $alphatest 1
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:45:56 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:04:58 pm »

Tried that, doesn't work.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 02:41:16 am »

SSL, really low lightmap on the textures, and use the "blocklight" texture. Just like you did in bunker.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 03:23:23 am »

I know what lightmaps are and how to use them. The Orange Box engine has the ability to create lightmap shadows based upon the alpha channel of the texture of a static prop, as seen with Fourtecks' grate prop on the right in the screenshot I posted when using the -TextureShadows command with vrad. If I can't get it working, I could just use blocklight textures, but it's wouldn't be as accurate to the texture, and wouldn't make sense to use when the OB engine has this great feature readily available to use.

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:02:11 am »

I looked into this further for you today. It seems it does not like the UVs created by that awful vmf --> smd tool you are using. I rebuilt the UVs for a test and I got them to cast properly. Next time you see me online get ahold of me and I can hook you up with some updated files, though I may be slightly hard to get to this weekend as my friend is in town. Sunday night would be best, but I should be home noon-ish EST Fri + Sat.

@sharp : That method is quite outdated and counter-productive for this type of thing. Plus it's not as accurate. textureshadows are amazing, now they just need to add support so you can get brushes to cast them.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:06:48 am by Mike [fourtecks] »
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 01:28:56 am »

I'm having related problems with casting shadows from those library grate props in a map I'm working on...

Seemingly for no reason they completely block light in my map despite the fact that they cast shadows correctly on library. Is there a reason why? It's definitely not the lightmaps, is there some special trick to making it work?

Thanks.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 02:16:13 am »

It turns out that the problem I was having was caused by the UV's being improperly aligned when the prop was compiled (or something like that).

When you compile the map, go to expert compile mode, select light.exe, and add the parameters -TextureShadows and -StaticPropPolys. This tells vrad to look for props with alpha channels that can be used to cast lightmap shadows.

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 07:12:36 pm »

Thanks SSL! That's super helpful!
Pages: [1]   Go Up