GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 01:05:06 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Living Daylights game mode  (Read 3690 times)

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
Living Daylights game mode
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:15:54 pm »

In my opinion, I think the Living Daylights game mode should have only 1 flag.  At the beginning of the match, the flag would spawn in various locations.  If teams were enabled, the teams would fight over the flag.  A team member would grab the flag, and it would be the other teammates responsibility to protect him or her.  If the flag was dropped, it would respawn at a random location in x amount of seconds if it was not picked up by another player.  If teams were not enabled, the person carrying the flag would be forced to evade all other players.   Having numerous flags and seeing everyone run around hitting each other makes no sense.  I know I am not the only one that feels this way because I have seen many others complain.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Living Daylights game mode
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:34:13 pm »

The reason for why there are multiple flags is very clear. In GE64 you only had a maximum of 4 players, in GE:S there can be any number of players from 2 to 32, generally speaking there's only usually around 6 to 20 people playing. Extra flags are spawned to compensate and make it more competitive and fair.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Troy

• 00 Agent
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:57:10 pm »

Respawning more flags to compensate for players only makes things worse.  That means there's more flags and more people hitting each other with flags or (slappers).  One flag is all that is needed.  When I see everyone else with a flag, I feel like I need to get one too so I can fit in.  That way I can run around, slap others, and get a few points on the board.  To win in this game mode, all you have to do is grab a flag and hide in a room.  Whoever does this the longest, wins the game.

Some of you may think my way of modifying this game mode would be lame.  However, I think it would be acceptable as long as the radar didn't show the flag's position or the person carrying it (just like in the N64 Goldeneye).  That way the person carrying the flag cannot be easily hunted down.  The player would be forced to use the flag as his/her only defense since he/she cannot fire any weapons.

A few days back, I played this game mode with a few other guys in the facility.  I held the flag while my team mates protected me (since the person carrying the flag cannot use a weapon).  A person on the other team also held a flag, and his team protected him.  My team held the flag in the facility's gas chamber room.  When a person from the other team entered, he/she was quickly gunned down.  It was then that I remember thinking that this game mode would be a lot more fun with one flag.  If the other team had the flag, it would be their sole intentions of keeping and protecting their flag carrier.  However, it would be the opposing team's intentions in finding the flag carrier and claiming the flag for their team.  (Now bear in mind the only way to score points in this game mode is by carrying the flag.  This isn't Capture the Flag it is Flag Tag.)

Now I just want to say I really enjoy playing this mod.  I think the developers have done an excellent job improving throughout the years.  However, I absolutely hate this game mode.  It needs to be more like the original Living Daylights (Flag Tag) mode on the N64.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:45:29 am by Troy »

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 01:57:58 am »

Please remember there are all kinds of weaponsets possible on every map playing this gamemode.
It's easy to see where this going to lead when you manage to camp in one particular room with your team using explosives -> instant round win by just staying in there.
Having several flags compensates this flaw, because every team should be able to grab about half of them.
Besides: just staying in one room doesn't get you the maximum points, because you wouldn't be able to pickup as many stuff as you could running around the map and let's not forget it's sometimes useful getting hit so you can score points for escaping, which you can't if no one gets to you in the first place.
E.g. on temple you can score points easily by being shot from a long distance and then running away in the other direction around some corner, which gives you the most points if done repeatedly.
Other than that there's a strategical element to multiple flags as well: your team can decide how many flags to get and how many people to go and hunt the enemy to stop them from getting points.

Troy

• 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 02:18:06 am »

It's easy to see where this going to lead when you manage to camp in one particular room with your team using explosives -> instant round win by just staying in there.
I agree with you there.  I had thought about this, but not in depth.  It would suck if there were 10 people in a room guarding the flag carrier.  It would be nearly impossible to retrieve the flag.  I see now see why multiple flags are needed.  This solves the problem for various weapon sets.  However, I feel when there is a decent amount of people on a server, too many flags are spawned.  There needs to be a limit.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:30:15 am by Troy »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 02:43:31 am »

As I mentioned in the server today (you may have missed it) this functionality is ALREADY PRESENT in the gameplay.

We implemented the gameplay such that you can define the number of flags per player. This is up to the server to set this setting. Complaining to us will not work, you have to convince the server hosts.

Read this for further clarification: http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/Living_Daylights#Console_Variables

Personally, I disagree with your position. Once you get up to 8 players it becomes a total crap shoot with people clambering for the same flag and NO ONE ends up getting points because you can't hold on to it long enough. This limitation is mitigated in gameplays like MWGG because the Golden Gun is so powerful you can easily land 4 kills in 3 seconds right after picking it up. Flag tag is not designed for this quick point mechanic.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 02:45:15 am by killermonkey »

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 06:54:38 am »

I'm going to have to agree with KM... if there are 16 players and one flag no one would be able to get any points because everyone would be going after the same flag and 15 vs 1 doesn't usually go over well.

And I dunno about you but if someone just gets a flag and hides they probably won't win... you get far more points for running and escaping danger and stealing points by beating others with your flag as well as collecting ammo crates to increase the rate of your score... standing in a room is not only boring but it will not get you the win if anyone else actually knows what they are doing.
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."
Pages: [1]   Go Up