GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 05:34:28 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WTF Intel Buys McAfee for $7,680,000,000  (Read 5026 times)

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
WTF Intel Buys McAfee for $7,680,000,000
« on: August 20, 2010, 03:45:46 am »

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Acquisitions-Law-Malware-Spyware-antivirus,11118.html

Way to go fucking Intel, you just bought the shittiest company that exists on planet earth.

I think they should have bought Nvidia, that would rock our socks off.

But seriously, 7.6billion? why? WHY? Isn't 1 billion enough for that shit company? Heck if I was an Intel CEO, I would buy that for $0.01

Its a good thing it didn't happen the opposite way Mcaffe buys Intel, then the whole world would just fall of bridges.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: WTF Intel Buys McAfee for $7,680,000,000
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:04:41 am »

Despite Macafee being shit, it is the established name.  Every old fart with an email television has Macafee on it if anything because to them, Macafee = antivirus.  All Intel needs to do is make a non-shit antivirus, and they'll sell billions of licences just because it has the Macafee name on it.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:06:57 am »

It's all about the name. People would buy shoes made out of newspaper as long as there was a Nike swoop on it.

terps4life90

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 04:07:57 am »

McAfee Honestly sucks in my opinion, has done nothing but create nonsense pop ups on my computer.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:20:00 am »

Don't forget about the SiteAdvisor service and software - it's als from McAfee, free and not that bad if you want to get a general idea of whether a site is safe or not.
I mean: have you tried to find a site providing song lyrics recently?
If you have no idea which site to trust and you're not lucky enough to find that particular song on youtube /w lyrics or as some guitar tab/chord sheet /w lyrics, even picking a lyrics site is like walking in a mine field blindfolded and that even if you happen to have good security settings.

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 04:51:05 am »

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20014175-245.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

There's an interesting article from CNET about the possibility of built-in security in the future.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 12:28:12 pm »

At least it wasn't Norton.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 06:56:39 pm »

"Today if a hacker wants to come into a system it almost always is done through software. But Intel and McAfee are capable of adding even another level of security, which would make a hacker have to break the hardware code as well as the software code."

This reminds me of that thing.... oh yah thats right.... the United States Government trying to solve beurocracy problems with yet more beurocracy. In the end it is a big waste of money, bloats your end product, and is easily defeated the first time someone finds the weak spot (in the case of government, their wallets).

Why in gods name would anyone think that implementing STATIC ON-CHIP security would be a good idea at all? Once the weakness is found it is exploited, and unless this is a programmable chip (read SOFTWARE again) the hackers will have free reign over your system again anyway. Useless.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 10:06:27 pm »

It doesn't matter if it doesn't work, it can be a bullet point on a slideshow, and that's enough to sell units.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 01:14:03 am »

It's all about the name. People would buy shoes made out of newspaper as long as there was a Nike swoop on it.

Wait, you mean they're not made out of newspaper?
Pages: [1]   Go Up