GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 12:43:29 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4.2 Cons  (Read 6825 times)

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
4.2 Cons
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:27:36 am »

This is a rant thread on 4.2's "play-style". (Let it be clear I'm thankful that the devs put in hard work for 4.2, and that this topic means no disrespect in anyway to the developers.)

When i began playing 4.2, i noticed a lot of "flaws". I'll state them below.
 - Damage Increase on multiple weapons that were not powerful in 4.1.
 - Spawn System was messed up to the point of "spawn camping"
 - Increased flashing when getting shot, (hazard amongst epilepsy users)
 - Knockback when getting shot (very hard to re-adjust your gun)
 - Console commands were altered, or cannot be used.
 - Being Immortal back in 4.1, meaning it was harder to die, is gone.
 - Other bugs that I can't really remember.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that this happened, but I was wanting the GE:S team to be aware of these problems, which in-turn is pushing away older GE:S members.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
Re: 4.2 Cons
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 06:32:23 am »

1. The entire gun mechanics had an overhaul, and some weapons seem more powerful. We are trying to get a balance with what works well.
2. I have not seen any spawn camping yet. Is there a map where this is more prominent?
3. I have not noticed the flashing whilst being shot, but thank you for bringing it to our attention.
4. Knock back is a nice realistic touch to the game. No one would be a brick wall whilst getting shot and not move.
5. Console commands were altered, and the new commands should be up on the wiki.
6. As stated in number 1, the gun mechanics got a rehaul, including invuln time periods, because too many people were complaining about shots being unregistered. The invuln period is still there though.

Thank you for your input :)
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

cadwal

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • cadwal has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:44:43 am »

I don't know if this is something on my end, but during a match on the archives I noticed some lag or delay on one of the official servers.  I recognize there may be some delay since it's online play, but I was dying from a grenade launcher without seeing the grenade launch or fire.  I fired a grenade on a few occasions and there was no explosion since I died before it landed.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:52:09 am »

Aside from the spawn system, i wouldn't really recognize these as flaws.

Weapon damage has remained consistent across 4.1 and 4.2, the only thing that's been adjusted is the accuracy of a few weapons and the invulnerability time.  The main thing in play is the invurn time, as it is now possible to kill someone much faster with weapons like the dd44 and P90.  While i think other second tier weapons like the autoshotty could use a slight buff to compensate for the new instant death P90, i find the invurn time adjustment to overall be a positive change as it corrects a few critical gameplay issues that you seem to have considered features.

With the changes, i've had a much easier time dealing with people who like to sit on top of an armor vest, and then spam the entire hallway when someone tries to pass by them.  While the invurn time means they could arguably kill me faster, their refusal to aim means they'll be doing damage at a somewhat slower rate than i would.  If their crosshair happens to pass over my head once every second or so, they would still have a good change of comming out on top in 4.1.  In 4.2, however, i would have a good chance of winning the fight even without armor if i consistently tracked them.

So, yes, it initially seems like a step towards an unpro GE:S, but it's actually the opposite.  You can no longer remain alive just by crouching on top of an armor vest and spamming your silver PP7; now you need to be more intelligent about who you engage and how many times you hit them within the second.  Weapons like the CMAG are no longer as potent, but now it's possible to do just as well with weapons like the PP7.

Anyway, I've noticed that oddity with the spawning system as well; it seems like it's rather fond of placing people in the exact same spawn i came from 2 seconds ago.  But don't worry, we're looking into it.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 01:01:37 pm »

So far all I have heard is how great it feels now, and I agree. I feel the gameplay has a much better balance now, before it was very much in favor of the hardcore players, average players like me and newcomers to the mod can at least have an enjoyable game now without being permanently owned by the pro's.
I realize that the sharp shooters are probably a bit pissed now that it's not as easy to get a massive lead score as it used to be, but the mod is in need of more players and servers and deserves to be more popular, I feel it was a necessary step forward for the benefit of the mod and the players.

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:34:13 pm »

Damage/invulnerability seems pretty close to 4.1 to me. The KF7 seems maybe a little stronger now compared to the other automatics like the ZMG. DD44 a little bit too.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 01:36:37 pm »

I personally haven't noticed much difference between 4.1 and 4.2, I can still frag as much as I used to, And die as much as I used to.

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:13:44 pm »

I just brought this up to notify the team, maybe to confirm if there was a significant change. I feel like it's a lot easier to die, etc. Some don't see a change but i personally do.

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:26 am »

All these replies are just plain silly, i feel like the gameplay has become much easier than 4.1, also it is much easier to get way up on the leaderboard.

Props to the devs. 8)

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:09:10 am »

I don't care for the new spawning system.  At the beginning of a round on Cradle, somebody spawned with me on one of the towers.  Around 3 other people were on that server.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 01:17:49 am »

My most biggest con is not having Natalya and in a bikini!   :'(

Other than that, the game works fine except for a few bugs here and there.

Thanks everyone!

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 03:28:42 am »

After some more time spent playing 4.2, I think TriDefiance brings up some good points. The spawn system has definitely regressed, it wasn't perfect before but at least it usually put you somewhere relatively safe most of the time.

The knockback is excessive, IIRC it was already toned down between 4.0 and 4.1, why bring it back? It makes the weapons that already do some of the most damage even more powerful, not to mention it lessens the utility of the knife when someone can keep you away via knockback.

I complained a bit in-game about the new hit tag sound at first, I did get used to that after a little bit, it is nice to know when your shot didn't register.

Did the flash really increase when you get hit? I can't tell for sure. Is it always the same no matter where you get hit? I never really thought about it much before.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 06:22:56 pm »

Did the flash really increase when you get hit? I can't tell for sure. Is it always the same no matter where you get hit? I never really thought about it much before.

If I recall correctly it did increase. This is because previously it flashed too fast, to the point where it was basically unnoticable. Some people even complained that there was no flash. If you had like 50fps or lower you wouldn't even see it because it would flash between frames. Even when you could it was all too brief, lasting only one or two screen updates.

- Increased flashing when getting shot, (hazard amongst epilepsy users)

Quite honestly epileptic gamers know that they play at their own risk if they are very prone to flashes. As far as I'm aware it's regular strobing and flashes that more commonly trigger seizures, not irregular flashes like ours.

We've had no complaints from people who actually have epilepsy.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer
Pages: [1]   Go Up