GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:50:54 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UE4 Facility (students project)  (Read 5725 times)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
UE4 Facility (students project)
« on: January 12, 2016, 04:44:31 pm »

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
Re: UE4 Facility (students project)
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:16:05 pm »

I'm not too familiar with how UE4 graphics are supposed to look like, however when I see this I'm not that impressed :/ The source engine does the job well in making sure facility has a modernized look with the classic feel to it. This just removes the classic portion of it entirely. All in all it was a good to see what other engines can do with such a popular map.

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:33:44 pm »

I wish I could get phong-like specularity in the Source Engine on world geometry/LightMappedGeneric. Static cubemaps are so god-damned ugly and don't behave realistically. CSGO now has the ability but a big shortcoming is that it only works for light_environment (sun)
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 06:01:54 pm »

I prefer Fourtecks' grimier look, and the static prop/mesh scaling in his (for example, railing thickness) is a lot better IMO. The wall textures in the UE4 map look awesome because of the phong spec though.

I assume this was probably done under time pressure for an assignment though, so comparing it to Fourtecks' 10 years of iteration is hardly fair haha.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 07:58:05 am »

yeah it doesnt look grungy enough
it looks very vanilla

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 04:21:03 pm »

The Facility GE:S has right now is really dirty and broken to the point it seems they just don't care about the place. In the movie it was grungy, but far from what it is right now in GE:S, and it wasn't broken.

The one on that video is dirty enough, but the problem is that the walls look like plastic and missed some details that were on the movie, maybe if he changed the walls to concrete and work a bit on the floor texture, it'd look much better and like in the movie but probably he wanted to keep that N64 feel. Also probably not enough time since it's a school project.

Also, the stairs and railings are closer to the movie than the ones in GE:S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up