GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 12:52:35 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: rj_tower  (Read 11461 times)

Falko

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Falko barely matters.Falko barely matters.
Re: rj_tower
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 07:59:06 pm »

I tried and did on 700.
I managed to do the most part quite "easily" (I would say) but got stuck for a big while on the fire platforms and then the U-turn.
I'll try a little bit more tomorrow and see if I can do better.
You have probably noticed on the video, I crouched before jumping quite oftenly.
That worked very very well for long distances (even on default gravity) but not at all when it came to reach a tall surface.

As for the map, I still have a lot to learn. All I did for the moment was creating blocks, moving blocks, cutting blocks, putting lots of fires^^ (that sometime drop for no reason), some random lights, placing textures (best part), "painting geometry" (awesome tool and so easy), working on the global dimensions (again and again - well, not for this map actually) etc.
This map was just some kind of arena, one big room with some junctions... a test map where I can shape things I have in mind.
If you say that it looks like some random TF2 map, thanks! xD Because for me it looks like nothing ;D
I just made a hole in my arena's roof this morning then add some blocks. é_è
But you're right, I get your point.
Even though, if I had to choose, I'd rather play a visually crappy game with some awesome gameplay than the opposite.

I'll take a look at your advice, thanks.
Actually, that won't really help me since I need thousand of advices ;-)
Sorry to monopolize your thread :P

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
Re: rj_tower
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:24:57 pm »

you have ruined my thread!

nah, in all seriousness, i think the real difficulty in tower lies in the fourth part.  In development i actually had to make the fire platforms and u-turn jump easier because i couldn't complete them reliably myself (like 1 in 10 tries for each individual jump).  Of course, every time i try a complete 0 death run i can get past those parts just fine...and then panic on the last jump in the map and screw up horribly.

Regardless, i too prioritize gameplay over aesthetics, and to that end i usually draft the layout of a map before i start adding detail and lighting.  However, it's important to keep in mind how you want your map to look while making the draft; otherwise you'll end up with a level structure that is very difficult to work with and restricts your freedom.  But if it comes down to a choice between the two, i would definitely choose gameplay.

Anyway, if you need any help/advice/etc feel free to pm me/add me on steam.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:27:15 pm by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up