GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:28:48 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I'd like to be programmer  (Read 8335 times)

davidc538

• Programmer
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • davidc538 has no influence.
So I'd like to be programmer
« on: August 27, 2008, 09:40:10 pm »

I'd like to join the Goldeneye source team as a programmer, I have a good understanding of C++ and have made a few simple brush, model and logical entities, don't have much experience in game developement but I have been interested in doing this for a long time and Goldeneye source is the most interesting HL2 mod in development from my perspective.

I'm also fairly experienced with hammer it counts for anything
You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness...

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: So I'd like to be programmer
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 10:58:42 pm »

Beef up your application in accordance with the standard given on this forum and I will evaluate your knowledge.

davidc538

• Programmer
  • Agent
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 03:12:45 am »

Sorry to have wasted your time, I got a little hasty once I seen you guys were looking for a programmer as I've been trying to find this opportunity for some time.

My experience with Source is limited, I've only recently begun programming entity's. Fortunatly I have quite a bit of experience in C++(And VB6 and HTML if needed), I started teaching myself C++ 2 and a half years ago and now I have a pretty good grasp, I understand pointers, classes, structs, inheritance, functions, implementation of a binary tree or linked list, passing values by reference, value or pointer, reading and writing to files and even a little 3d graphics programming. I filled a Co-op position at a computer store for 6 months and can provide a wealth of knowledge to any team members experiencing problems or considering upgrades or new builds.

I know how to set up version control systems such as Subversion or Perforce, I am comfortable using Visual C++ 2008 and  Code::Blocks for C++ development. I also know quite a bit about setting up maps in source, not to a professional level but setting up entity's for testing and making simple fy maps for Counter Strike: Source, I've also made a few cs and de maps.

For sample work I don't know what to put at the moment, if it can be any sample work I have some programs in C++(A connect4 console game, a keylogger, even and example of texture mapping in OpenGL if your interested) that I can show you, if it has to be Source related then I will need to put something together within the next few days. I am putting together a simple multiplayer soccer game that I could have done within a week or two. Please get back to me on this.

I can be reached by MSN and Email at davidc538@hotmail.com and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:20:31 am by davidc538 »
You were the lightning in that rain, you can still shine through the darkness...

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 03:20:22 am »

Your app looks good, I am interested in you. Source uses VC++ 2005 so you'll have to downgrade from 2008 or else the code WILL NOT work for you. I would like to see the code you made for the entities.

My biggest question are: Are you capable at debugging your own / others code? Have you ever been faced with looking over someone else's code? And finally, how much time do you have to give us?

davidc538

• Programmer
  • Agent
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:45:49 am »

Thanks for your consideration, I have visual c++ 2005 installed(prefer 08 but no big deal), and I will get the DirectX sdk installed and other requirements right away and I will gladly post the necessary code for the entity's in the hockey game once I finish it. I understand how to use the debugger in visual studio and I'm very used to looking over other peoples code as I've learned almost everything I know about C++ from tutorials, examples and snippets that can be found at www.cplusplus.com, www.cprogramming.com, www.gamedev.net and in the forums of www.interlopers.net and www.steampowered.com.

I already spend anywhere from 1 to 4 hours a hours a day working on random programming projects and would be more than happy to put it all towards a Mod. This january I'll hopefully be heading off to college and might not be able to donate as much time after that but I will be able to set up linux on my ps3 and would be happy to use it for Source dedicated server, version control, ventrilo and anything else that may be necessary.(I have not looked into this much as of yet but from what I hear the PS3 is suitable for doing these things)

One thing I feel I need to mention is that I have a limited amount of bandwidth at the moment because I live outside the boundaries of cable internet and have to use a cheap wireless solution.

As for anything in the direction of source related programming I don't have anything finished that I wouldn't consider as being a work in progress. I'm getting the soccer game up and running and will post it for your evaluation as soon as I finish it(hopefully within a few days, maybe up to two weeks, sorry).

The only thing I need to ask of you at this moment is that if you decide you don't need me at the moment could you point me towards some Mods that are in need of someone with my skills.

EDIT: Also if your interested add me on MSN and I'll be able to show some of the Non-source related projects right away.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:48:44 am by davidc538 »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 05:48:16 am »

OK, sounds like a plan. I added you to my MSN buddy list. Don't worry too much about bandwidth, once you get our SVN running its a matter of small downloads/uploads from there. We do have a need for you and I am excited to give you a trial. My only concern is that what I will give you for trial will completely bury you. You see, knowing how to program is one thing, but knowing how the source engine works is completely another. I will try to conjure up a suitable snippet for you to program, but the majority of things left are engine intensive (VGUI, HUD, etc.)  If you want to start studying these things please go here:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:VGUI
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:HUD

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 07:50:14 am »

Looking forward to seeing what you can do.  Good luck. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

davidc538

• Programmer
  • Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 08:14:35 pm »

I will try to conjure up a suitable snippet for you to program, but the majority of things left are engine intensive (VGUI, HUD, etc.)  If you want to start studying these things please go here:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:VGUI
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:HUD

lol, good to know, I'm going to start studying these and put something together right away.

EDIT: you guys might not be able to reach me for a few days but I will be on anywhere from 12 to 6pm(eastern) as its coming up on the last weekend of the summer and theres a party tonight, tommorow night, and possibly the night after but I don't want to leave you guys with the idea I'm not interested, and my VGUI snippets seems well on its way to completion. Cant wait to show it off!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:39:29 pm by davidc538 »

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 08:00:20 am »

have fun at the party dude, thanks for letting us know.

do a  couple body shots from hot girls, and a keg stand for me and scream GES right after you do it... no one will know wtf your talking about haha.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

davidc538

• Programmer
  • Agent
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 08:16:37 am »

have fun at the party dude, thanks for letting us know.

do a  couple body shots from hot girls, and a keg stand for me and scream GES right after you do it... no one will know wtf your talking about haha.

hahaha, i wish i'd seen this earlier
Pages: [1]   Go Up