GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:48:47 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Team Live and Let Die  (Read 2776 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
[Suggestion] Team Live and Let Die
« on: February 21, 2010, 06:19:20 pm »

This may have been proposed internally and rejected, I don't know...

In my opinion a possible remedy to LALD's complicated and difficult gameplay could be to make it team based.

• The Baron is not on any team. Just like LALD when the Baron kills, that person is out of the game.
  • Everyone else is either on MI6 or Janus. The Baron is not a selectable character on Janus Team.
  • The teams fight for posession of the Golden Gun. whoever kills the Baron with the Golden Gun earns a win for their team.

The winner is either:
Baron - survives or kills all players
MI6 - MI6 player defeats the Baron
Janus - Janus player defeats the Baron

Why is this a good idea?: In its current state LALD is a very difficult and unrewarding gametype. The player with the Golden Gun has the hardest task: not being killed by other bonds. Everybody fights for posession of the Golden Gun, and this leads to no progress being made towards the Baron's defeat.

With teamplay, the odds against the Golden Gun carrier is reduced to a reasonable level. Not just because there's 50% less players trying to kill them, but also because the rest of their team can help protect them from the other team. The catch is that they can't really aid the Golden Gun carrier in defeating the Baron, if they attack the Baron trying to assist the Golden Gun carrier they may kill him, resulting in him becoming stronger.

All players spawn at deathmatch spawns instead of team spawns. This reduces the risk of stalemate, camping and one-sided gameplay... it also means that the Baron isn't actively facing a whole team in one location.

Also this provides an even more interesting experience for the Baron, being on neither team he is free to kill everyone.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:23:36 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: [Suggestion] Team Live and Let Die
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 06:30:06 pm »

This is not a viable option (it was considered) because of the way we structure team play. You are either on NO TEAM (dm) __OR__ MI6/JANUS. We don't support mixed teamplay.

My opinion was to spawn more golden guns the more players there are in the server. This is a MUCH easier option and would simulate this teamplay competiton reduction. I am talking like 1 extra golden gun for every additional 8 players. So thats 4 Golden Guns for 32 players.

This is similar to how more keys are spawned in capture the key DM mode the more players there are to spread out the gameplay.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 06:34:34 pm »

That sounds like the best solution.

I just liked my idea.  :P

Possible support for mixed teamplay in the future?  :angel:
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:12:12 pm »

Thing is, the idea of building in more code variants to an already massive range of variations is not in your interests as much as you might think. KM has got his system smooth and bug free. Making changes to the structure will only cause a month of testing and tweaking to current gameplay scripting along the way. That will delay 4.1 by way more than our internal release goals.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:14:09 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 07:40:31 pm »

I contemplated team support.  Balance issues aside, it would no longer be true to the scenario.

Don't forget that this is based on the mission and in the mission you battled Drax grunts as well.  Guess what all the non-Golden-Gun players' role is?

:awesomeface.png:

Besides, how much trouble can the other players be? You've got the Golden Gun.  What's that, Sandvich?  Kill them all?  GOOD IDEA!
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: [1]   Go Up