GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 09:26:18 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine talk  (Read 4281 times)

MostFrantic

Engine talk
« on: February 26, 2008, 10:40:00 pm »

First off W000ts on this great project!

I've played it for about a week now and I like it very much. I would like to give some constructive criticism.

On aiming : By far the biggest asset of the original goldeneye was the accuracy involved. The amount of accuracy was not created by aiming with the analog stick however (note: not in original control style but 1.2 or something: strafe/walk with C-arrows and look around with analog stick.). The increments with wich the analog stick   would move were too big too shoot someone  very far. The accuracy was produced by the strafing! Again :This was by far the games biggest asset. How smooth it was! I remember in multiplayer when someone was so far away you couldn't even see them, the tracers on the other players screen would allow you to make a strafing adjustment to... Bingo! It was so precise! In terms of gameplay this could mean a whole other level for this mod. Smooth out the strafing combined with the accuracy of the mouse and you'd be looking at a whole other game. And it would really tribute to the original. Every FPS I've played on PC lacks smooth strafing, too blotchy and of course wth a on/off functioning keyboard. The controllers on the n64 had analog buttons as well if I remember correctly. I suspect it will be a lot of programming but make it so and I really think you have a very strong possibility of making yourselves IMMORTAL with this already great tribute.

And I'd like to see the awards back! Haha: most dishonorable ! That'll teach spawnkillers. Oh yeah and the All Bonds feature! l Now that's real class... I also like the chique appeal the game has and I think you're already succeeding in this. Love the music too!
Now enough talk and more play!

MostFrantic

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
Re: Engine talk
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 03:21:33 am »

I don't understand.  From what I remember, strafing in GE64 was a good way to aim because the control stick was so bad at aiming.  So strafing + autoaim was the only way to bring the reticle onto the target.  That doesn't make the strafing good though, just better than joystick aiming.  However, with mouse aiming and customizable sensitivity, strafing isn't needed to aim anymore, its mostly useful for movement.  I don't really get how you would want to implement "smoother" strafing.  The only attributes I can imaging being tweakable are strafing speed and acceleration, both of which would sacrifice movement for aiming, which I don't think would be a good idea.  Just my opinion. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

MostFrantic

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 01:03:59 pm »

Yeah forgot to mention I didn't use auto-aim it wasn't necessary IMO. didn't add to the fun. It isn't half as rewarding as true skill.

Furthermore aiming is done most of the times as you are moving or in aim/strafe mode wich is much better. Smoothing strafing out will help accuracy IMO. It's definitely a lot harder to kill with precision weapons as with the spraying ones as was not really the case in the original. With the auto-aim off that is.

Is there auto-aim in GE:S BTW?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 01:10:04 pm by MostFrantic »

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:15:25 pm »

Is there auto-aim in GE:S BTW?

Of course not, we've got a mouse  ;)
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:35:18 pm »

Mouse filter? I'm not sure if I even understand this topic, I strafe to dodge bullets. I thought strafing was always about creating better movement. Mouse filter???

MostFrantic

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:59:04 pm »

Topic : is smoothing out strafing going to add something to gameplay as this was THE reason the original was SO good in terms of gameplay (because in the original the analog stick aiming moved with too large increments in order to be very accurate)

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:54:33 pm »

You shouldn't have to strafe to help with your aiming in GE:S or any other PC FPS. I think I used strafe in GE64 to move in front of someone without having to necessarily move the analog stick all around. This was also when I was playing with autoaim on. (Used strafing to move into someone's view, thus activating autoaim. I don't see how strafing in GE:S can really get any "smoother." Again, it could be that I still don't necessarily understand the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up