GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 03:33:42 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Bug] Server crash after alt-tabbing?  (Read 5492 times)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
[Bug] Server crash after alt-tabbing?
« on: July 14, 2011, 03:57:16 pm »

Okay, This has been happening for a while, So I finally decided to post about this because it is seriously annoying for me and other players but mysterious as well.

At some times, I need to alt-tab out of the game for a few seconds, And once in a while (5% of the time), When I re-open the game, My vision spins like crazy (Just like if I set my mouse sensitivity in the console to 10000 and started shaking my mouse) and then I see nothing but a gray screen, Causing the game to freeze.

I eventually kill the hl2.exe process, Then I go back to the server list, Noticing that I caused the server that I was on to crash. Its just gone, And all players that we're in that server switched to a new one. Every time this bug occur, It crashes the server I was in.
Server's usually down for 3 minutes.

I have absolutely no idea what causes this and how to do it again. It happens randomly when I alt-tab and re-open the game shortly after.

I'll try to shoot a video showing it very soon.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: [Bug] Server crash after alt-tabbing?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 04:54:00 pm »

Would be very helpful if you could post your .mdmp files to help KM determine the cause. This has happened to me previously too.

It's not dissimilar to what happens when a player accelerates to an infinite speed in the void outside of the map.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:56:02 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 05:08:10 pm »

intresting, I used to get this bug ALL the time as well when I would alt tab. I haven't had it happen for a considerable amount of time now. I am not sure if it was an old graphics driver or if it just stopped doing it or what...but it stopped. I thought I was seriously the only one with this issue, so I just ignored it. It is almost like it spins so quick that it overloads the computer and than just freezes the whole thing. Am I right? I think mine got so bad one time that it crashed my whole system lol. I had to do a hard reset.

Like I said, been forever since it has happened, so if you could solve the issue through your memory dump file, that would be cool if it ever happened again for us. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

namajnaG

• namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:24:19 pm »

It is almost like it spins so quick that it overloads the computer and than just freezes the whole thing. Am I right?
Yeah, The game just locks up and you can't do anything except kill the process in the Task Manager. Might be a big issue in XP since CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't do anything at all whilst in a source game.

As for the .mdmp files, I'm not quite sure of the exact location, I've browsed my gesource folder but didn't find anything. Where are these files usually located?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:37:37 pm »

Cause (suspected): Due to your rapid movements you are sending a ridiculous number of updates to your client side data which is most likely overwhelming the server host (think denial of service attack). Besides the fact that Valve sucks at life, this is not a GES problem.

Might be a big issue in XP since CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't do anything at all whilst in a source game.

XP is over 10 years old.... doesn't support the latest hardware/software/driver improvements.... and is prone to locking up.

As for the .mdmp files, I'm not quite sure of the exact location, I've browsed my gesource folder but didn't find anything. Where are these files usually located?

.../steamapps/[STEAM_NAME]/Source SDK Base 2007/

Although I doubt that will help since your crash is most likely being caused in memory, drivers, kernel, etc. This is most likely a windows/driver problem.

namajnaG

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:05:42 pm »

I use 7, Not XP. But since the MDMP files cannot help you, I guess I won't have to send them then.
Although, This never happened in any other source game, But I'll take your word on this one. You definitely know Valve more than me :P

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:46:31 am »

Then why did you say it would be a big issue in XP?

Send them anyway.

namajnaG

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 04:09:06 am »

Then why did you say it would be a big issue in XP?

Send them anyway.

Well, If it occurs with someone under XP, He has to reboot. Disregard that.
Here's the link to my most recent mdmp file.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A6A64FQL

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:28:25 pm »

Wow, I thought I was the only one that has this problem. And to be honest, I keep forgetting to say something about it. It happens on my W7 64bit. I can send my MDMP files as well if needed. It's a pretty odd thing to see, but I wouldn't mind not having to deal with it now.

For reference:

AMD Phenmon II N570 2.1GHz X4
6 GB (1333MHz) DDR3 RAM
ATI HD Mobility Radeon 5650M
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:19:27 pm by Ruone Delacroix »
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:21:23 pm »

The crash is occurring in a network variable update... as I suspect. It really crashes in shaderapidx9.dll but I think they may be related to each other (unbounded values).

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 10:54:12 pm »

I use to get it a lot as well, but not at all lately like saint said.

I suggest running your game in windowed mode with no border. Then when you alt-tab it doesn't minimize just keeps the game up and brings windows over game. Really nice.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

namajnaG

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:59:29 pm »

I suggest running your game in windowed mode with no border.

Might sound stupid, But how do I remove the borders?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 11:11:03 pm »

Launch options I use are:

-novid -noborder -windowed
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.
Pages: [1]   Go Up