GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:44:54 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on creating "Runway" background track  (Read 9759 times)

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
Thoughts on creating "Runway" background track
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:58:02 am »

---------------------------------------
THOUGHTS ON "RUNWAY"

www.audixmusic.com/audix_Runway.mp3

As you can see in the most recent update, one of the tracks we have released is my Runway background music track. As I did last time, I'll comment on some of the stylistic choices and arrangement of the track. For musicians, feel free to ask questions about the production side of things.

Right off the bat, we've got a solo pizzicato violin playing the intro, along with some background pads and a high violin vibrato ensemble to set the mood. If you compare it to the original, I basically followed the same arrangement structure as compared to my Rocking the Cradle mix, which was more of a remix.

At :15 the main melody first hits, with intentionally "weak" drums to make for a bigger impact later on. I was fortunate enough to have the "techno bell" samples which you hear at :34, very similar to the original track's sound. The main groove hits at :38, with stronger drums and the prominent vibraphone (personally love that sound). Throughout the track you may get a bit of an "old school" feel, which was my intention. You can hear this in the somewhat dated male vocal patch I used at 1:12 and the right panned triangle as well.

The original track used a pitch bended string ensemble at 1:20 and 1:28, which is obviously something you'll never hear real orchestras do. However, I wanted to keep the feel the same and used a synthesized cello patch to do the pitch bend. The beat comes back at 1:47 for the big Bond melody. At 2:03 the guitar was an obvious choice to hint at the rock factor that would be coming up later in the song. Background synths fill up the soundscape; you really don't notice them, but if they weren't there the track would sound empty.

Everything drops out at 2:50 again to keep the dynamic flow going; no one wants a song that's loud all the time (except recent mastering engineers). The payoff of the song hits at 3:27 with guitar and strings carrying the track. The song drops back to the original groove and fades out to a loopable ending.

That just about covers the basics. Questions are welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up