GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 10:50:30 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best of Both Worlds  (Read 6734 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Best of Both Worlds
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:10:51 am »

Something came to me just now after visiting the forums, I got to thinking how this mod deserves to be more popular and in doing so it occurred to me that making this mod more user friendly for the modern player doesn't have to mean taking away from the current small but dedicated fan base the mod already has. A simple option in the menu giving the choice of "Classic" & "Modern" game play styles (game mechanics). Selecting "Classic" would list all servers playing Classic mode, and selecting "Modern" would display all servers playing Modern mode, the option of which mode comes down to the owner of the server. This would mean a big increase in player base, a big increase in new talent, more maps, more artwork, more coders (KM could get some much needed help), more modellers & texture desginers etc... Both types of player would benefit from this immensely, and this mod could finally get the respect and popularity it deserves...

What do you think?

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
Re: Best of Both Worlds
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 02:04:19 pm »

.. Didn't we already go over this a few months ago?

Pretty sure KM said, if there ever was a classic mode, it would be a client setting that is purely cosmetic.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 02:56:11 pm »

Didn't we already go over this a few months ago?

Not to my knowledge and if so, I missed it. You didn't answer the question anyway, what do you think, good idea, bad idea? I myself can't see any negatives, but plenty of positives, I think the mod would benefit immensely from something like this... But please correct me if I'm wrong :)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:57:25 pm »

I don't see how dividing up the playerbase into classic and modern players would increase our playerbase at all.

In fact it's very possible to have Classic mode right now by running a 4 slot server with only classic maps, classic gamemodes, classic weaponsets and jumping disabled.

The modern gameplay style is what GES usually plays like right now, maybe with a few more tweaks and balance adjustments here and there.
We won't turn this into another Call of Duty just to get some more noobs playing the game.

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:01:28 pm »

Didn't we already go over this a few months ago?

Not to my knowledge and if so, I missed it. You didn't answer the question anyway, what do you think, good idea, bad idea? I myself can't see any negatives, but plenty of positives, I think the mod would benefit immensely from something like this... But please correct me if I'm wrong :)

I've already said why it's an awful idea in previous threads, but as a short summary; pretty much what Kraid said. It just divides an already-small community simply over the fact that the game has a slight learning curve, and really won't make the mod any more popular. And if a mode is made that is fully "modern," without invulnerability or any other GE-like goodies, what is there to make this stand apart from CoD, other than aesthetics?

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 04:17:15 pm »

Hmm... I see your points. Was just an idea, I thought it was a good one, but going by your responses... NOT! Who needs popularity anyway, popularity is for losers ;)

Delete this thread if you want, didn't mean to start a topic that's already been done.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 05:49:48 pm »

We won't be 'modernizing', that would be disregarding and undermining what the mod is and what it's aims are. These types of 'best of both worlds' things typically divide playerbases more than they do increase them. The law of diminishing returns prevails.

We are however looking at respectful improvements that can be made to gameplay where the mod currently falls short. Not necessarily in ways or areas you might expect.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 06:24:36 pm »

COOOL! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up