GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 18, 2024, 02:23:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Community Map Pack  (Read 58747 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Re: Community Map Pack
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2014, 08:31:25 pm »

StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138]

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2014, 10:31:20 pm »

It's probably just me since I never saw anyone mention it, but the gun looks a bit too light blue. Especially when compared to the original loading screens that have the PPK in them. If this became the layout for all the maps then it wouldn't be too out of place. I would change the gun to look more grey, but that's just me. Everything else is amazing and loved looking at the progress of you making this, just damn OCD and being a perfectionist is making me pay more attention to the blue tint of the gun. :P
I understand if you don't want to change the color, probably would take a lot of work/time since you've most likely made separate layers to easily switch the pictures and change the text.
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2014, 01:19:55 am »

hehe i just had an idea what if instead of  Map Name you could have it as

Mission: (Insert Title)

Authour could be

Agent: (insert mapper)

just an idea

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2014, 06:37:03 pm »

I sorted out the Blue tint on the PPK  :)

Hi Rick, I think displaying selected game mode would be a more appropriate choice for "Mission", and that's something KM would probably have to incorporate. Also, I think having the players name under "Agent" would be more appropriate than having the authors name... Again, this is something KM would have to incorporate, but thanks for the suggestion :)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2014, 01:39:01 am »

The problem with incorporating in-game information is that during the loading sequence it simply isn't available. You don't actually download the list of players and all the game data until the very last couple of seconds of loading.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2014, 06:45:54 pm »

Woo Hoo... My four days off starts tomorrow, so I can get back to work on this Map Pack, got lots to do :)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »

Just spent a large part of this morning not only finding a Magnum image suitable for loading screens, but cutting out and smoothing edges as well as I was unable to find a decent or suitable quality PNG. This is all new to me with Photoshop and there has been some trial and error, my first couple of attempts cutting out were crap to say the least. Anyway, this one isn't too bad but I need the opinion of the fans and pro's to be really sure whether or not it's suitable for use on loading screens...

As always your opinions and advise are invaluable.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2014, 02:14:12 pm »

And here with original layout...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:52:15 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2014, 02:56:01 pm »

Original layout looks far better.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2014, 04:40:13 pm »

I agree, the first one hides a portion of the main image, which isn't really convenient. The pen and paper also hides some of the images on the right.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »

Well... All the Loading Screens are done, now I need to get to work on Bots, so you probably won't hear from me now until I'm ready to release... So for now I'll leave you with this...

Oh... And I'm still need permissions from some authors so I'll try to PM them, hopefully I'll get a response soon.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:22:02 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2014, 06:15:00 pm »

I wanted to drop some feedback on the latest images. Looking decent so far but there's a lot of room for improvement if you are willing to go way out on the dixie with this.

This is just sincere constructive criticism, nothing more:

Drop-shadow effects are best used subtly. If you examine the official template almost every object does use drop shadow effect, but it is used with subtlety. Low opacity and very soft shadows for the most part. Enough to visually separate it off of the object behind it, but not so much as to make it appear as if it's floating or obviously 2D. If you want to use consistent drop-shadow with the rest of the template you can use the Copy Layer Style option when right clicking on layers with drop-shadow and use Paste Layer Style onto other objects. There's a reason why drop-shadow is largely considered a cheesy and lame visual effect, the Comic Sans of visual effects if you will, that is because it is overdone and tends to be just slapped onto things without any sensitivity.

As for the 'tip text' that should be left out in all honesty. Tip text isn't baked into loading screens, it is superimposed and the text is read from the localized language the user has picked. People playing with French set as the language get French tips and so on. Also the position of the text is dependent on what resolution the player is using. You may end up having your baked text covered up by the actual tip text. So it's best to leave that area completely blank.

You should avoid having any object in front of the central image. That is the focal point of the loading screen. It's what people's eyes are immediately drawn to and stands as the image people are supposed to remember the most.

Avoid too much clutter. Your screens are so visually busy I don't know what to look at. The Desert Temple and Chateau loading screens draw my eyes to the revolver and the pen because they are so bright in contrast to the screenshots that are too dark, I can't make out what they are supposed to be. The official loading screens are designed to draw your eyes to the screenshots because those are the most important elements. The gun models are a little eye-candy but they are not obstructive, nor do they completely draw your eyes off everything else.

The PPK image you've used looks awful. The blue lighting on it completely contradicts the way the rest of the scene is lit making it look comepletely artificial. There is a PPK in the official loading screen you can use that was rendered specifically for the loading screens. I don't get why you've not used it. The Cougar Magnum is OK but it is perhaps too bright. It really detracts from the loading screens it's used in. The pen looks fake because in real life a pen wouldn't sit perfectly aligned like that and the drop-shadow used on it is far, far too much.

The post-it is also quite visually distracting. It is just a big yellow box more saturated with colour than any other element.

Anyway, that's my two cents. You can take it or leave it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 06:21:24 pm by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2014, 07:18:37 pm »

All colour was removed from the PPK as you'll see in the latest screens, and the reason I didn't use the original, as I already mentioned was the fact that it's too low quality. These are supposed to be high resolution loading screens at the end of the day, if I was to follow everyone's opinion to the letter, I would end up with the original loading screens with nothing of my own imagination in them. Everyone has there opinion and I respect that, and I have taken a lot on board in the creation of these screens, but I have to draw the line somewhere. I appreciate your feedback, but I really must concentrate on Bots now, I am very pleased with the loading screens and the PPK, I point blank refuse to give in on the use of low quality content... However, if you have some high quality GE:S weapon images for me, I would very much consider using them on my screens. Thank you for your feedback Mangley  :)

EDIT: Your right about the pen, and I have thought that myself but decided to leave it... I'm now reconsidering.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:05:05 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2014, 08:18:19 pm »

OK Mangley... I took another look at the weapon you sent and I still feel it's too low quality, but it did serve as an eye opener to the fact that my weapon doesn't quite blend in with the scene in terms of lighting and contrast, so I had a little play around with it to make it look closer to the original you sent in that respect, and while I was at it I changed the pen and made the shadows a lot more subtle...

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2014, 09:22:09 pm »

All images are brighter now, I used Garrison to show you as these were the hardest to see...

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:25:40 pm by markpeterjameslegg »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up