GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:53:49 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: v4.2 crash on start  (Read 7812 times)

DaFees

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • DaFees has no influence.
v4.2 crash on start
« on: August 04, 2012, 02:28:49 am »

I do not know if this is the game's fault or Valve's/Steam's fault but every time I try to run this game it crashes. The Goldeneye Source loading screen appears and five seconds later it crashes with the error hl2.exe has stopped working.

My system may be a little outdated but it could handle v4.1 and Portal 2 both just fine at 1080p and max settings. Anyways, I've tried running in a window, running with -novid, and running with -autoconfig. Nothing works. I've tried upgrading from v4.1 and doing a complete fresh install 3 times. Twice using a direct download and once using a torrent download. Oh and yes everything is up to date on my system and I meet the minimum requirements for Portal 2 / TF2 so I figure that's good enough for GE:S.

I don't know if it will help much but I'm attaching the newest crash dump file.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4ulo0addrny4kw3

If someone could help me that would be great as I REALLY want to play v4.2 and start "fragging" some bots!

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: v4.2 crash on start
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 03:18:56 am »

Thanks for the dump file, we'll look into what's happening asap.

Are you running the full 4.2 version or the 4.1 > 4.2 patch?

Also it would be helpful if you'd post your system specs, hardware, OS etc..
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

DaFees

• Agent
  • DaFees has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 03:31:45 am »

At first I tried the 4.2 patch and that gave me the problem I'm having. So I uninstalled that and installed the full version. That didn't make a difference.

As for system specs:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Motherboard
Socket 939 Dual Core AMD Opteron 170 2.01Ghz
4GB DDR2 Memory
Radeon X1800 gpu
Audigy 2 ZS sound card
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

If you need any additional hardware information let me know.

I will say that in the meantime I am able to get v4.2 working on my laptop, but 1366x768, not max settings and 2 channel stereo isn't the same as full 1080p, max settings and 7.1 surround sound, :-). Regardless I do like what I see so far.

I do want to thank everyone envolved, especially if it can be figured out why this crashes on my desktop PC, :-).

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:14:00 am »

I know somebody else with the same problem.  -novid to the command line did nothing,  but I think that fix stopped working once β4 released.

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:44 am »

Yes that somebody is me and I used the full install. Also, Steam tries to download Half Life 2 Episode 2 right after I install GES 4.2.

vartaxe

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • vartaxe has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 02:09:06 pm »

can't play either...

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 02:28:01 pm »

@ Koba:

You are crashing in the shaderapidx9.dll, you need to run the game at a lower DirectX level. Add this to your command line parameters: -dxlevel 81

@vartaxe:

You need to reinstall the Source SDK Base 2007 or "defrag" it via the properties. You can find the Source SDK Base 2007 under the tools portion of the games window.

vartaxe

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • vartaxe has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:54:30 pm »

well im just going to uninstall steam and reinstall everything to my external 2tb 3,5" 7200rpm usb 3.0 hdd it may be related to space problem...

edit: having to type a code + answer everytime i post is boring :x also irc channel ges needs and allow coments on the steam group
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 02:56:27 pm by vartaxe »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 02:58:01 pm »

You only have to type the code for the first 5 posts. We have a large spam bot issue that we have fixed with those codes.

Tracking comments on a steam group with 2500 members is impossible.

IRC is stupid, IMO ;-)

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 04:57:03 pm »

I can run the game now with -dxlevel81 but I don't see why I need to do that. I have a DX9 card and it was working fine on 4.1.

Also, Half-Life 2: Episode two (paused download)  keeps coming back each time I restart Steam after running GES 4.2

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 05:19:35 pm »

Right click the "paused download", you might have to hit pause download, then right click again and hit resume download. Steam is stupid.

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 05:43:32 pm »

But I don't want that game installed. Why does running GES trigger its download?

One more issue I'm having is that the game doesn't exit properly (and I have to kill hl2.exe and gameoverlayui.exe) so all my video settings don't get saved.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 07:24:33 pm »

You don't really have a choice since these things are forced on people because that's the way Valve setup their modding system

The game should end properly, I applied a fix that was suggested previously. If you continue to have the problem AFTER updating the game that is paused, let us know.

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 10:33:16 pm »

Okay I let Steam download the 7GB of data for HL2 Ep2 but it didn't help. The game still won't exit properly meaning I have to go through all my settings each time I launch the game. And for each time I launch it there's a new hl2.exe process that I have to kill.

What exactly did you guys change in this release that's causing this?

*edit*
I removed the -dxlevel 81 launch option and everything seems to work now. But I don't get it, does GES now require HL2Ep2 to be installed in order to work? What if someone doesn't have that game?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:44:56 pm by Koba »

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 12:20:17 am »

*edit*
I removed the -dxlevel 81 launch option and everything seems to work now. But I don't get it, does GES now require HL2Ep2 to be installed in order to work? What if someone doesn't have that game?

No, The only requirement is still Source SDK Base 2007, Why Ep2 is downloading is a bug I've encountered before during Beta 3 days, I have no idea why it happens, But I just kept deleting it over and over again.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up