GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:14:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Half life 2 mapping questions.  (Read 5461 times)

JamesBondMan

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • JamesBondMan is looked down upon.
Half life 2 mapping questions.
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:31:35 am »

Ok, so i making a SP Half life 2 map, and I put an ammo crate in the level. it all looks fine in the editor, but when i start my map up for in half life 2, there is a big ERROR where the ammo crate should be.  :-\ I tried the google to help me figure my problem out and i just can't find much info. any help would be much appreciated. also if anyone knows of any good sites with mapping tutorials, post a link. thanks all.
Happines is a warm gun.

JamesBondMan

• Secret Agent
Re: Half life 2 mapping questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 05:01:39 am »

Also, does any one have an idea as to how i could record a video in-game?
Happines is a warm gun.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:04:51 am »

I think the prop is ether the wrong type (dynamic, static..) or it isnt in the right place..

Second question..  FRAPS
http://fraps.com/
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

JamesBondMan

• Secret Agent
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 05:51:51 am »

It's not a prop, it's an Item. and thanks.
Happines is a warm gun.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:52:55 am »

You have to use the right Hammer setup. If you create a map let's say under the GES setup and compile it for HL2 SP, all the custom made content will be missing.
Also entities like weapon-, ammo- & armor-spawns will be missing and might print out an error message in console. Somewhat like: Error - trying to create unknown entity ge_weaponspawner.

In your case, i assume you simply placed a armorcrate prop.

Quote from: Enzo
I think the prop is ether the wrong type (dynamic, static..) or it isnt in the right place..
This would cause the prop to be completly invisible, a big red ERROR is a sign for a missing prop, like the purple-black checkers are an indicator for missing textures, wrong material names or wrong texture paths inside the vmt.

If you wanna make a GES map, use the proper GES setup, if it should be a HL2 SP map, use the setup for HL2SP. That easy.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 02:21:15 pm »

Also, does any one have an idea as to how i could record a video in-game?

I think recording a demo would be the best solution for your performance ingame.
Read for example here how it is done.

Yes, using something like fraps to screencapture the whole thing is still necessary, but you can focus more on playing than on capturing if you just record a demo and capture the replay afterwards.
You can also bind those commands used to record the demo to any keys you wish via the console.
(another point being is fraps at some point only captured a resolution of 600x480 in the trial version, which you surely wouldn't want to play on)

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 05:39:10 pm »

Maybe I'm unusual but I much prefer dumping a movie (startmovie in console I think) and compressing it with VDub or something similar instead.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 06:30:54 pm »

The last time I looked into that movie recording stuff was back when Steam was released - so I wasn't aware of that possibility.

When I looked it up some ppl said the quality wouldn't be that good when specified as avi-file.
source: http://www.gotgames.com.au/forums/graphics-photography-110/css-startmovie-4376/
But hey, there's plenty of possibilities now, so JamesBondMan might just try and see which one fits his needs the best.

JamesBondMan

• Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:56:54 pm »

Ok, so I figured out my problem. I recently got a new computer and installed half-life 2 and both episodes. Now i haven't played though half-life 2 on this computer(because i played thought it once on my other computer). anyways i was playing one of the levels the other day and saw a grenade ammo box, so i of course used it and had fun throwing grenades. I then went to the editor changed the ammo box's ammo type to grenade. I Complied and ran the map and tada! the grenade box was not a big ERROR sign. Though all the other ammo box's are still big errors, it shouldn't be to hard to fix.

Thanks for all the video recording idea's guys.
Happines is a warm gun.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 11:01:24 pm »

I dump TARGAs (I don't trust HL2 to make an AVI file). So you have 30 raw image files per second, that's why you keep so much free space on C.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0
Pages: [1]   Go Up