GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:54:57 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: [Level] ge_siberia_cc  (Read 87824 times)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: GE_Siberia_LuchSaint
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 03:25:48 am »

The map is really looking good.
Just a question: if I understood correctly the pond isn't as bright as before, because it's supposed to have a/some layer/s of snow above the ice, or the snow is very faint. If there is so much snow on it that you could hardly see the ice, why would it be that reflective?

To be honest, I think its just the picture. Plus, if I add more snow to that area it slowly takes the reflection away where the snow is. It only reflects the areas in which the snow isn't blended with the ice. I don't know,  I am still going to tweak it a little to see if I can get it a little better.

As for TeeKay2010, not sure if I would want to use that or not..it looks a little bit odd with each line of glass like that. Also, it looks more like plain water to me. Siberia is kind of a dark map and I feel like that degree of reflection and kind of reflection might detract from the look of the map. It is pretty silvery. And yes, I can make it less blue and less reflective or more blue and more reflective if people don't like it currently. Those are just the base values. I might make it slightly more blue just to see what it looks like.

By the way, here is an earlier version picture of the pond where there was more blue. However, I feel like it might be TOO much blue. Opinions?

Also, yes. I will try and remember to turn AA to full next time. Most of these pictures were taken just for me so I could see them later so I didn't really care what res and detail they were at. That is the reason they aren't 1680x1080 with full AA on most of them. I will give you detailed pics from now that I have a purpose for them. :)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:38:34 am by CCsaint10 »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 04:11:41 am »

I prefer the newer version (that you showed in your first post) in terms of colors, because it seems reasonable to assume a pond somewhere in Siberia is frozen and of course the ice is covered by a fair amount of snow, since the surroundings are also covered in deep snow.

It was just about the reflection - I thought it wouldn't reflect as much, but I'm not sure. (I thought in reality there would be parts of the reflection missing, just where the ice layer is covered with snow)
Actually if I had a mirror I could test it with, I'd put on some sugar or salt on it and line up some objects beside it to 'simulate' a lake and construct a similar setting and see if I was mistaken on this. Unfortunately, I haven't got any mirrors that I could put on the ground.

And considering teekay2010's post: that really looks like water - or a pond with waves on it, that was frozen instantly (-> absurd), at best. :- (

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 08:27:43 am »

I agree with you man. I think the one above is too blue. I haven't changed the color since the final one you saw in the first post. I will probably change the snow markings a little though as they could improve a little. But yeah, lots of little things in the works. I will do an update when I get a chance.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 09:01:10 am »

Nice map. Can't wait to play it, as i've always been a fan of Luchadors version.

The pond is a cool idea too. RT reflections could really add something to it.
Also i never liked the dark borders created wherever displacements intersect.
At least for snow it looks very unnatrually.
Also, you could use a blendmodulate texture for the snow/ice blending.
Just compare the old beta 3 ge_runway asphalt/snow blending to the new one in beta 4.

CCsaint10

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:59 am »

Thanks kraid for the suggestion. I think I will be changing the reflection method a little bit judging by what a few people have told me and I have a good idea of how I am going to do it for the lake. Also, your blend modulation method is a great suggestion too...yet another thing I am going to have to learn..so it might take a while.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 04:17:36 am by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 04:32:40 am »

Take your time, The more time you put into the map, The greater it will be.
Also, I was wondering (Kinda curious :P)... What is at the limit of the map?
Is it 2D trees like outside bunker_kraid (Or just like on the N64 version), 3D trees with an invisible wall or you haven't done that part yet?

EDIT : Yeah I mean't the end of the map. (Didn't want to create another post just to say this, It would had been useless.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 08:19:58 am by namajnaG »

CCsaint10

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:54:34 am »

I assume you mean at the ends of the map. I have it so that mountains go up from the ground and there is a player clip about half way up the rocky mountain side. It works well because of the rock textures that blend with the snow to help you realize where the boundaries are. Maybe one day I will make a 3d skybox but it isn't as important right now since the current way looks fine.

WNxEuphonic

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 106
  • WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!WNxEuphonic is awe-inspiring!
    • Euphonic.dev
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 06:01:15 pm »

Having played the original Luch map, I'm glad someone put so much TLC into it! Looking forward to playing it!

CCsaint10

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 08:55:34 pm »

Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback. I am getting close to giving you guys a great surprise, visually. I am very excited to show you guys..should have some new screens up hopefully by tonight. If they aren't, it is because I am tweaking it to make it look even hotter. :)

Currently Doing List:

- Integrating $blendmodulatetexture on to multiple textures to increase visual blending/effects
     - Bug fixing Cabins/aligning textures
     - Changing some props
     - Reworking some of the displacements

Brainstorming ideas:

- Changing the skybox to match the colors of the lighting to something slightly darker
     - Making the dome have a area open like in the original in which players can jump down into
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 12:44:18 am by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

CCsaint10

Re: Ge_Siberia_LuchSaint
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 08:01:41 am »

Updates!

Changes/Additions:

- Integrated $blendmodulatetextures on walkways, mountain sides, and helipad areas for a much better blended appearance.
     - Aligned all cabin textures and changed a few textures to provide smoother transitions
     - Got rid of some Half-Life 2 props and replaced them with goldeneye props where applicable.
     - Reworked displacements to provide better visuals and accessibility.
     - Made a custom skybox to better fit the environment and lighting.
     - Reworked some displacement alpha blending to adjust what the $blendmodulate did to the textures.
     - Various other cosmetic changes/fixes

I decided to leave the pond with the reflectivity it has currently. After monkeying around with the suggestion given, I decided it would be good for the level because
1) The level has a very dark feel, providing that much reflectivity from a pond would not fit with the dark/cold feel.
2) Performance decreases would be substantially higher in that area. We don't need something with that minimal of a gain to kill performance. Remember the mirrors in Facility?
3) The overall look of it doesn't fit. It has more of a metallic reflectivity like it was frozen recently. The goal of this pond with this much snow is to show that it is NOT a superficial freeze, but a deep freeze. Something the other did not convey to me.

Please shoot your suggestions and criticisms this way. :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:15:11 am by CCsaint10 [bklax23] »

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 08:11:41 am »

All I must say is this is going really great! Seriously, I don't really know what to add/modify on that. Maybe other community members will enlighten you up better than I can.
This is going to be a great map, I salute you with respect.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 02:05:24 pm »

B-e-a-utiful.. Just amazing.. Can't wait to do some testing myself :D

CCsaint10

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 01:23:47 am »

No critiques, comments, or suggestions at all? :(

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2010, 01:24:43 am »

Let me download it, you'll get a pager :D

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2010, 01:27:01 am »

I think it looks awesome, new skybox is sexy!
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up