GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 12:12:36 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i need some help getting started  (Read 5333 times)

MikStarYo

i need some help getting started
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:16:57 am »

I downloaded the beta 4 zip, then i downloaded steam, then i moved the gesource folder into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\sourcemods.
But i can't see the game in steam. Looking around the forums it looks like i still have two things i need to download:
Source SDK (or something like that)
A source game from steam (possibly Half Life 2)

Are these the last 2 things i need?
Where do i get source SDk?
Does the game need to be Half Life 2 or can i just buy the cheapest game?
Do i have to buy the game on  steam and how do i know if it's source?

I'm done for tonight, but I'll check back sometime over the next couple of days.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: i need some help getting started
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:35:29 am »

Ah, well, it's been answered before, but what the heck.

You need any (bought, not free like Portal was!) Source game associated with your account in order to have the rights to download Source SDKs. Cheap Source games (including the Source SDK) are for example the HL2 episodes. (check the store page of the game to see if it includes any SDK, note: also Alien Swarm will NOT work)

Alternatively just search for games including the SDK via advanced search options - maybe there's a game you'd like to buy anyway, that includes the SDK as well.

You can also buy any game including the Source SDK as a retail version (if available) if that's more comfortable for you, you'll be asked to activate it with Steam upon installation and it will be associated with your account. (note: you can't resell games that are activated with Steam because your game key is bound to your Steam account) As far as I know, you don't have to have the game installed to proceed to downloading the SDK, so you might as well just chose Games -> Activate a Product on Steam and just enter the key cancelling the installation. The game will be listed in your Library under Games.

Then (in the Steam client) go to Library, select Tools and install the Source SDK Base 2007.

Since you already installed the mod in the correct folder, you might have to restart Steam once, afterwards. GE: S should appear in your Library under Games like this:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 06:10:50 am by coolDisguise »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:25:17 am »

hl2DM = $5, thats the cheapest non sale game that will work.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 09:50:46 am »

Surely we should have a guide for this written up by now that we can just link to lol

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 12:09:28 pm »

Better, needs an update though lol "type !help for gamemodes". Where the hell is that Taco :P

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »

It needs to be updated with the new steam UI.

coolDisguise thanks for the walkthrough thats awesome.

MikStarYo

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 03:21:25 am »

thanks, especially thanks to coolDisguise. I have it all downloaded and working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up