GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:55:48 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashing on start-up  (Read 7449 times)

xHalcyonx

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • xHalcyonx has no influence.
Crashing on start-up
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

I just installed the game today for the first time ever, version 4.1, and when I try to run the game it goes to the image of the PPK with the little "Loading" message in the lower right of the screen.  After a few moments the game boots me to desktop with the message "hl2.exe has stopped working."  I have uninstalled twice and reinstalled twice after the initial install.  I also attempted to use the "-novid" fix that some have suggested to no avail.

Thanks for your help!

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Crashing on start-up
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:25:07 pm »

Hi

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.

Then can you confirm that -novid does not work via the Steam Launch Options? If that still doesn't work could you provide your system specs.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 01:51:48 am »

-novid was a fix for Beta 4. v4.1 does not use startup videos in the classic sense anymore so -novid does nothing.

Please upload any crash dumps (.mdmp) zipped up from the following directory:

[steam]/steamapps/[steamname]/Source SDK Base 2007/

xHalcyonx

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:17:22 am »

Where should I upload the file to?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:30:19 am »

Anywhere you can

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 06:28:41 pm »

Except RapidShare, KM hates RapidShare.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:09:26 pm »

I use rapidshare because it's really easy for me and totally trolls teh bitches who need the shit I'm providing.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 07:11:23 pm »

I would suggest mediafire.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

xHalcyonx

• Agent
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 07:37:36 pm »

-novid was a fix for Beta 4. v4.1 does not use startup videos in the classic sense anymore so -novid does nothing.

Please upload any crash dumps (.mdmp) zipped up from the following directory:

[steam]/steamapps/[steamname]/Source SDK Base 2007/

Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?ub12esxb35y1am8

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 10:32:41 pm »

You are going to have to redownload the mod. You are missing files essential for the scoreboard and possibly other places.

This is the second time I have seen this problem. It seems there might be an installer out there that is only half working or not extracting entirely / corrupt files.

xHalcyonx

• Agent
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 11:05:17 pm »

Alright, re-downloading it now!  Thanks for the swift response and troubleshooting!

If it helps any, I got the installer from the torrent listed here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-source

djzeratul

• 60% of the time, it works every time.
  • Agent
  • djzeratul has no influence.
    • DivX.com
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 12:17:54 am »

I also got the installer from the torrent... It seems like it worked fine. Maybe one of the hashes failed to download properly...

xHalcyonx

• Agent
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 03:26:05 am »

So I re-downloaded the game after uninstalling it.  I downloaded it directly from moddb.  Same error occurs.  Here are the new crash logs: http://www.mediafire.com/?ndf1izg1f4djs7j

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 03:50:29 am »

Hate to say it, but download the zip and unzip it to your sourcemods folder.

Which version of windows do you have? Do you have antivirus software running? Might want to disable that and try exe install again.

The problem might be installer is failing somewhere before it gets to vgui materials and after the dlls are extracted. In either case it's definitely your computer and not installer.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 03:53:02 am by killermonkey »

xHalcyonx

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 04:59:34 am »

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, no AV was running during the install.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up