GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 05:05:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [W.I.P] NightFire Map Pack  (Read 17943 times)

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
[W.I.P] NightFire Map Pack
« on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:49 pm »

FOR RELEASED MAPS, GO HERE! http://forums.geshl2.com/index.php/topic,7558

Greetings, Community!
As maybe few of you might have heard several months back, A guy named 2Goldenbullet$ was currently working on converting NF maps, Models and textures into Goldeneye Source. His primary concern however is Nightfire, So he stopped.
I talked with him for a while and asked him if he could send me over the files he currently had, He agreed. Since I personally loved NF and I thought that this project could get somewhere, I started working on the project.

So far, It's quite a mess. Corrupted props, Messed up entities and a multitude of bugs here and there, But of course, It's a decompile from a different engine, I can't expect much. :P
But on the bright side, I'm getting somewhere quite plausible, A release might eventually come sooner than I think.
A few maps will have minor additions to the original to balance gameplay in GE:S.

I plan on getting at least 5 maps done. Unfortunately, Too many props are broken and a few maps won't be able to see the light of the day because of that.
I currently have two maps that are stable and nearly completed, Only a few tweaks here and there left to do, Including ones you guys might spot. Here are a few screenies.

nf_power :

nf_maintenance :

I'd love constructive criticism from you guys and see what you think so far about those.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:28:58 pm by namajnaG »

liamcadhain

Re: [W.I.P] NightFire Map Pack
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:24:45 am »

Having never actually played Nightfire before I don't think I'd be the best person to offer some criticism or advice to you properly, but the screenshots of your 2 maps look pretty good so far. Keep up the good work and the best of luck with the rest of your project!

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:54:19 am »

They are really looking good so far!
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 01:39:23 am »

Looks very good- if you are making more nightfire maps can you recreate Fort Knox or Zykosky's Cavier Factory (both are in the Nightfire PC Version)

but i have to say that Nf_power looks really good- bright and open enough for Frag attacks
and NF_matenance looks promising too- cant wait to try out the map

namajnaG

• namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 03:46:59 am »

Thanks for the support people, I really appreciate it!

@Rick Astley = Just to let you know, I am not recreating those maps from scratch, Those are the map files directly ripped from Nightfire, But all of them has a multitude of bugs, Obsolete entities/props and incorrect lighting.

The Caviar Factory is the map I am currently working on, However, It was very broken, Took me hours to fix the crusher under the trapdoor, But I got it working after about a hundred recompiles, Hah.

This map isn't too GE:S friendly, Notably because of all the grappling hooks that helped navigating around the map in NF, Thus, All access to the water has been blocked, And ladders/bridges will be added to several areas to suit GE:S gameplay.
I still have a lot of work to do on it, I should be done within this week though.
As for Fort Knox, I have looked at it quickly and it doesn't look too bad, I probably will look further into it when I'm done with Caviar.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 09:01:47 am »

I still think it would be a good idea to replace the textures with some higher resolution ones and possibly replace the props with GES stuff. Might take a while, might not look 1:1 in some cases but the overall improvements will make these maps more enjoyable.

Think of it like what we did with the GES classic maps. They still look and feel very close to the original N64 map, but the mappers used high res textures instead of 32x32 or 64x64 blurry lowres textures and improved lightning.

I don't see why you couldn't do the same, maybe with a little help from other ppl of the community.

namajnaG

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »

That is a very good idea Kraid, Most textures are already 128/196 (196 ones has been extended to 256 but kept their original resolution) though, But a few does look quite blurry.
Problem is, I personally have no experience in texturing, But a lot of already existing textures in GE:S files could replace a few of those and still look like a re-creation. If anyone is willing to involve themselves in this project, That would be great.

Several props have been already replaced with GE:S ones due to NF props being broken in Hammer though, But I do believe I can replace more, Such as barrels and crates.

Edit : Lol 666th post.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:00:36 pm by namajnaG »

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 07:42:10 pm »

4.2 release will feature many new high quality props and textures (many of them shipping out with a resolution of 1024 x 1024). they truly did a great job. and if you have any questions, feel free to mail me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 07:52:34 pm by The Cy »
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 09:30:39 pm »

I like them, looking good, but like Kraid said, make use of GE:S props and textures and they'll look great.

Oh... And I prefer the new picture Emilia. ;-)

namajnaG

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:10 am »

Sounds good Cy, Thanks for the feedback everybody!
I'll still be doing production on other maps while the wait for 4.2 and post updates once in a while about the progress on everything else and which maps could be released.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 02:52:36 am »

Looking very good but you really need to use light_spot entities for most of the lights! It will look much better than omi-lights.

Contact me on steam if you want some pointers with using them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 03:01:37 am by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

namajnaG

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 04:04:09 am »

@Mangley = Maintenance's lighting is about 95% composed of light_spot entities, And power has about 25% of them. Maybe I haven't done them correctly, Or is a fast compile responsible maybe?

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 03:05:37 pm »

Hmm.. what I said was mainly directed at power. Those lights along the walls near the ground. light_spot works well for that type of lighting.

Perhaps it's just the lightmap resolution that is making me think this?
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

click4dylan

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • click4dylan has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 04:08:40 am »

I actually did the power conversion and dm_office and part of austria. that's when i gave the project over to to namajnaG. the reason the lights on power are like that is because the original used fade values that don't exist in source, so it looks like they're not light_spots, but they are a combination of light and light_spot

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • 005 has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 07:24:41 pm »

Heh, good to see my decompiler going to good use. :)

Just keep in mind, if either EA or MGM decide to give a crap about it, they could sue. They probably won't, though, they never cared at all about the PC version of Nightfire.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up