GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:31:45 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Issue] Game crashes instantly  (Read 3637 times)

Darkness

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Darkness has no influence.
[Issue] Game crashes instantly
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:26:06 am »

Okay, so, me and a friend were trying to play Goldeneye: Source for the first time, so we downloaded the install from here, and it works fine for me, but every time he tries to run it, the game crashes instantly. According to him this is what happens:
Seth.D: Well for like half a millsecond
Seth.D: Not even a millisecond
Seth.D: If you stare at the system tray really closely you'll see the little goldeneye source icon pop up for half a millisecond then disappear

I haven't heard about this bug from anywhere else, but I'm posting it under issue because it sounds like an installer or steam problem rather than a problem inside the game. Not sure what the problem here is. He's reinstalled about thrice, and redownloaded it once. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, no error shows up at all, it just instantly crashes on launch. Help appreciated, thanks.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
Re: [Issue] Game crashes instantly
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:41:00 am »

Make sure he is following all of the instructions here: http://wiki.goldeneyesource.net/index.php/Install_GoldenEye:_Source

also try launching the game with the -novid command.

Troy

• GE:S Coder
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 260
  • Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!Troy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:26:51 am »

Make sure he has Source SDK Base 2007 and his video drivers are updated.
Complete - Arsenal, One Bullet is Enough, Tournament DM v2, TurboDM
Defunct - Agent Under Fire
VC - Being such a dick, KM must be stroked before springing into action.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 12:28:35 pm »

Sometimes it helps to actually start "Source SDK Base 2007" the game, then quit once it loads, then load GE:S

This sounds like he might have an issue with his steam or files. I suggest redownloading the SDK Base 2007 to confirm its not that. This does not sound like a GE:S problem since non of our code is loaded until you see the window and the "Loading..." in the lower right.

Please check for memory dumps in: "C:\[PATH_TO_STEAM]\steamapps\[STEAM_NAME]\Source SDK Base 2007\" there will have a .mdmp extension. If any are found, upload them and provide a link, thanks.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 01:38:30 pm »

Does he meet the system requirements? They're the same as TF2 or HL2: Episode 2.

This reminds me of what happens when someone tries to run Source 2007 when they have an ancient motherboard that doesn't support SSE.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Darkness

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:40:09 pm »

Seth.D: @Proxie: Followed all the instructions on that page and even tried -novid, didn't work.
Seth.D: @Troy: I have Source SDK Base 2007, but apparently my graphics card has a new driver available. Brb installing it
Seth.D: Installed. Trying out goldeneye source
Seth.D: nope.avi
Seth.D: So
Seth.D: @Troy: Nope, still didn't work
Seth.D: @killermonkey: Tried starting the SDK. Still didn't work after that. And there are no .mdmp files in that directory.
Seth.D @Mangley: I can play TF2 just fine. And when I try to run cputest.exe it says that it doesn't work with 64 bit version of Windows.

Thanks for help so far though.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:54 pm »

My best advice is for him to redownload and reinstall the mod. Completely delete the gesource directory in "sourcemods".

The redownload is key because it is known that some installers flake out and a redownload always fixes the issue.

Darkness

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:38:25 pm »

My best advice is for him to redownload and reinstall the mod. Completely delete the gesource directory in "sourcemods".

The redownload is key because it is known that some installers flake out and a redownload always fixes the issue.

He's tried both the moddb download shown in the link in the OP and also the torrent from the official website. Neither are working for him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up