GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:09:42 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: GesFX Version 2.0  (Read 13492 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
GesFX Version 2.0
« on: August 23, 2016, 02:45:23 pm »

GesFX Version 2.0

I have now moved everything over to Reshade Version 2.0.

Things to Note

1. Your game may freeze for a few seconds as Reshades settings apply, this is normal.

2. In Goldeneye Source's Advanced Video Settings, set "High Dynamic Range" to none. It's not a requirement, but will deal with possible over brightness due to conflict
    with Reshades settings which already use a similiar effect.

3. Forcing Nvidia's Desktop Colour Settings in Control Panel will conflict with Reshade causing adverse affects like over brightness and possible light bleeds.

4. If you have any other software that hooks into DirectX, you will need to deactivate it to avoid conflict with Reshade.

5. Steam Overlay can cause Gamma levels to increase drastically, but only when it pops up a message. I would recommend turning the in game overlay off in Steams
    "In Game" options.

6. It's not a requirement, but I recommend downloading my darker, less saturated crosshair to go with this, the original is very bright and can make it difficult to see
    what your shooting when targeting long distant enemies:-

https://forums.geshl2.com/index.php/topic,8447.0.html

Comparisons

Subtle Version

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Brighter Version

BEFORE...

AFTER...

Subtle Version & Brighter Version comparison

SUBTLE...

BRIGHTER...

Go here for more screenshots:-

Subtle: http://imgur.com/a/bDPme

Brighter: http://imgur.com/a/MFUkq

Download and Install

GesFX Version 2.0 has 2 versions, Subtle and Brighter:-

The Subtle version applys the effect with almost no change to the vibrance and slight change to shadows, this makes it ideal for bright well contrasted displays.

The Brighter version applys the effect with added vibrance and more darkening of shadows, this one is best for faded/washed out displays (Like mine).

1. Delete any previous version. The files to delete are:-

Reshade (folder)
    d3d9.dll
    Reshade.fx

They are located in your "Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\bin\" folder.

2. Download GesFX Version 2.0 from here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/download/srnictiksjsuyzy/GesFXv2.0.zip

3. Extract "GesFXv2.0.zip", choose which version you want, and copy/drag the contents of the folder to:-

Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\bin\

Guide to Changing Reshade Settings in Game

First thing to do is change your video settings in Goldeneye Source to Windowed mode, and a resolution lower than your native (desktop), enough to leave you some space on the desktop to edit the Reshade configuration files.

Once you have changed these settings, apply them and quit Goldeneye Source, then reload (this is related to possible instability after changing settings, reloading is always best when changing video settings).

Goldeneye Source should now load in Windowed mode, you want your window size to be something like this...

As you can see in the above picture, I have pressed the "Windows" key next to left CTRL on the keyboard. This not only brings up the Start menu, but takes mouse control from the game, this will come in very handy for moving between Reshade settings and the game.

Now, on Goldeneye Source menu Create a Server and select no bots, select "0" for Map Time and Round Time (Means infinite), and set a password so no one can join, you don't want to be interupted while your editing Reshade. Once the game has loaded, pres the "Windows" logo key on the keyboard, the start menu will appear, just click on the desktop.

Now head to the Reshade files in "Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\bin\ReShade\Presets\Default". In here you will find all the necessary "cfg" files for editing the Reshade settings.

The main file to focus on for now is:-

Shaders_by_IDDQD.cfg

We'll try an experiment with this file to give you an example. So, to start off double click "Shaders_by_IDDQD.cfg", and if requested, choose to open with "Notepad". Below the "VHS" settings, you'll see "DosFX", and this line just under the header:-

#define USE_DOSFX 0

Change the "0" to a "1", then hold "CTRL" & press "S" to save the change, the newly applied setting will cause Reshade to reset on the fly while the game is still running, the effect is immediate, your game should look pixelated now. To return to normal just put the setting back to zero. This can save you a lot of time by removing the need to enter and exit the game to see changes, it's also beneficial to the learning process seeing immediate results.

And that's how you change Reshade on the fly. I hope this guide proves useful, any questions, just ask.

Mark :)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:54:46 am by markpeterjameslegg »

Graslu

• You can't win.
  • Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 143
  • Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!Graslu is awe-inspiring!
    • YouTube
Re: GesFX - Movie Preset
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 02:11:52 am »

Awesome! Does this affect performance a lot? I may give it a go in the future changing the settings a bit (Too dark for me).

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 05:38:51 am »

The FPS loss is minimal to nothing. I can help you with the brightness when you get round to trying... But it looks better in game, You will probably need my less bright crosshair mod that I just uploaded... Getting the right balance was very difficult between levels, for example... Archives is excessively dark without the high gamma, and Egyptian is excessively bright, trying to get Archives bright whilst trying keeping Egyptian from looking over bright, not an easy task. But I havent finished with it yet, I will continue to tinker around with it. If you do make some adjustements, I would be interested to see your progress, if you could post some screenshots here that would be great :)

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 11:21:04 am »

Wow Nice work markpeterjameslegg :)
looks great

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:43:10 pm »

Thanks Rick Astley :)

Torn

• Level Designer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 169
  • Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!Torn is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 03:00:56 pm »

This is really neat, I didn't know there was a Reshade for this engine. Thanks for sharing Mark!
Official Releases: Dam / Egyptian
Community Releases: Quake - E1M7 / Blockfort

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2016, 03:33:57 pm »

This is really neat, I didn't know there was a Reshade for this engine. Thanks for sharing Mark!
Your welcome. Reshade is really for any engine thats DirectX 8-11 or OpenGL, you just rename the "ReShade32.dll" or "ReShade64.dll" (depending on wether it's a 32bit or 64bit game) that comes with it to the game DirectX version e.g:-

d3d9.dll
d3d8.dll
dxgi.dll (DirectX 10 or 11)
Opengl32 (OpenGL)

Then you place the Dll file, Reshade.fx and the "Reshade" folder in the same folder as the games exe. However, on occasion you may need to place the files in a different folder than the games exe location due to the requirement of certain Dll files not along side the exe, which was the case for Goldeneye Source. I couldn't get it to work along side "hl2.exe" due to the requirements of certain dll's in the bin folder.

EDIT: Just to note, I did actually attempt a Reshade/SweetFX preset last year to no avail. At the time the effcts would cause light bleeds on screen, but I decdided to give it another go with the latest (more stable) version of 1.1.0f1, and it worked like a charm :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:38:17 pm by markpeterjameslegg »

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
Re: NEW VERSION - GesFX Version 1.1 - Movie Preset (Brighter Version)
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 01:10:47 am »

GesFX has been updated to Version 1.1. This version has been overhauled to give a much better balance between light and shadows giving much better visibility in darker areas. All Images & Links at the start of this post have been updated.  ;)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent

Added GesFX Version 1.2 to download options for brighter, less contrasted displays like mine.

I have made a slight adjustment to the brightness/contrast again, after switching from my tv back to my monitor the darker areas of the game look a little washed out and grey. I have therefore slightly adjusted to compensate for monitors like mine that are brighter and less contrasted, link can be found under GesFX V1.1 download.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
Re: NEW v1.2 ADDED - GesFX Version 1.1/1.2 - Movie Preset (Brighter Version)
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 07:57:10 am »

Uh...Is it supposed to look like this? I'm using your v1.1.

Hmm... Looks a little bright. First off download and copy in Version 1.2, then bring up GE:S menu and go into Video options and check your gamma brightness is set to 2.2, then head into advanced options and make sure that "High Dynamic Rendering" is off as you won't need it with my Reshade preset, it will just conflict and cause over brightness. If it's still too bright, try setting the Gamma darker in the GE:S Options. Hope this helps, if not I will write up a guide to changing settings while game is running so you can personalise your own visuals, it's great fun ;)

EDIT: Here's another thing you can try, the glowing effect is caused by Ambient Lighting, it's not everyones cup of tea. Download the following config file and put it in your "Reshade" folder and overwrite when requested. This will deactivate the Ambient Lighting, let me know how it goes:-

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3c5wdvggvow2655/GemFX.cfg

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:08:42 am by markpeterjameslegg »

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 08:46:30 am »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=753492089
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=753492074

Look at this. During the menu, if I hit OK from the Options tab, the sky goes blue. Otherwise, it stays all gray.

This is v1.2 with your GemFX.cfg and Crosshair edits.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 08:52:39 am »

I'm going to test this myself now, be back in a mo...

EDIT: Hi, sorry to keep ya. Just tried to re-create your situation, but no luck. I'm a little puzzled to be honest. Did you try disabling Ambient Lighting?

EDIT2: DUH! Yeah you did lol... Should have read the bottom of your post better.

What version of Windows are you running and what graphics card do you have? Reason I ask is in case I need to look up issue's related to a possible hardware fix if your running a different brand than myself.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:05:48 am by markpeterjameslegg »

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
  • codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.codemaster94 is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Steam Account
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 09:13:15 am »

I did the installation as follows:

Downloaded ReShade and only extracted the 2 files you said.

Then installed crosshair, then v1.2, then gemfx. I'm running Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 09:21:13 am »

Are you forcing Nvidia's Desktop Colour Settings in Control Panel? If your unsure, go to Nvidia Control Panel and click on "Adjust Desktop Colour Settings" in the left pane, by default it should be on "Other applications control colour settings".

Also... Is anyone else is having this issue?

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
    • Steam Account
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2016, 09:24:54 am »

I'll get back to you. That might be a problem. It's 4:30AM and I'm laying down. Goodnight.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2016, 09:31:06 am »

Yeah man, I'm a bit cream crackered myself... We'll try and sort this out tomorrow ;)

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
    • Steam Account
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2016, 06:31:04 pm »

Yeah man, I'm a bit cream crackered myself... We'll try and sort this out tomorrow ;)

So I have my NVIDIA set to have other applications control the color settings.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2016, 09:22:28 pm »

So I have my NVIDIA set to have other applications control the color settings.

Did it correct your issue?

codemaster94

• codemaster94
  • Secret Agent
    • Steam Account
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 09:24:23 pm »

No.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 10:19:04 pm »

I'll write a guide on changing settings on the fly either tonight or tomorrow. You will be able to play around with the visuals and see the changes immediately as you play with them, I'm working on something else at the moment, but almost done... I think.

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
Re: GesFX Version 1.1/1.2 + Guide to Changing Settings While in Game.
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 01:32:00 am »

Added a guide to changing Reshade settings while in game. Check at the bottom of original post :)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
Re: GesFX Version 1.1/1.2 + Guide to Changing Settings While in Game.
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 01:06:51 pm »

Move from Reshade 1.0 to 2.0 and Overlay Issues
------------------------------------------------

So first off, the overlay issue. I continued to look into the issue that codemaster94 was having and have discovered... Kind of by accident, that it's a conflict related to softwares that hook into Direct 3D Dll files, can't believe I didn't think of it earlier... Must be that "Dumbass" pill I swallowed the other night. I usually have Steam Overlay off by default (Don't like stuff popping up when I'm playing a game), but decided to put it on so I could be in contact with codemaster94 while in game to make the helping process a bit easier. This is what happens since:-

As soon as a popup from Steam Overlay appears my screen gamma becomes insanely bright, however, as soon as I open any menu on Goldeneye Source it corrects itself:-

If you have any other software that hooks into DirectX, you will need to deactivate it to avoid conflict with my Reshade.

Second, I'm in the process of moving to Reshade 2.0 for better Windows 10 support, but Windows 7 and 8 should be unaffected by the change. I am still running some tests on various settings, will try to get the right balance for everyone, to those of you that have had issues, my apologies.

Mark :)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
Re: GesFX Version 2.0
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 11:55:39 pm »

Everything has been moved over to Reshade 2.0. Original post and guide have been updated to reflect this. As always, any questions, just ask :)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up