GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:44:48 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Trent's Bio and Reflection  (Read 45896 times)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
Re: Trent's Bio and Reflection
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2011, 06:51:33 am »

Bass I was going to say, mp3 junks out of audible range noises to aid compression.

You shouldn't be upping your MP3 bit rate for no reason. You are an engineer, start thinking like one. The maximum bit rate you should output is limited by the maximum dissernment of the human ear. To say your ear can discern 320 kilobits worth of quantization is pretty impressive. From what I have read in the past, you start to lose dissernment at 192 ish bps which is why thats the gold standard for audio.

This is the same analogy as for TV resolution. Yah you can have 4000p TV's someday, but your eye can't dissern the difference from that or 1080p from the normal viewing distance and with a 50" screen.

Also, your audio perception is extremely limited to the performance of your output device. Most speakers in the consumer market can't render the full spectrum of 320 kilobit songs anyway. All this leads up to WASTED SPACE.

Km, I am sorry but you are full of shit. Listen to a score from a big name movie (such as star wars) in 192 and then listen to it in FLAC. If you can't notice the difference, then you need to get your ears checked. The problem is people don't realize how much they are missing when they get shitty mp3s. I dread the fact that I have to listen to GES music in anything BUT flac or lossless. Some of it isn't high enough quality to really make a huge difference for goldeneye, but just the thought of hearing mp3 again makes me shiver. All scores and audio I download are NEVER mp3. Mp3 is only good for the generic audio listener who doesn't have a very strong ear for all ranges (more than 3/4 the population). I have a decent stereo in my car and decent headphones that I didn't pay a lot for, and I can easily notice the difference. Take a listen for cymbals and bass especially. Those usually are what get distorted first in mp3s.....

Granted...all this is invalid if the original source isn't made with high fidelity...which a lot of recent day music doesn't have. Therefore, it wouldn't matter as much. Some artists still produce very high quality music, and its easily noticable in them in modern day stuff.

/rant..sorry, but audio arguments always get me fired up. I get upset a little cause I only wish people could really hear what the difference is. Sadly, one of my roommates can not tell a difference. The others can though. I can listen to a blind recording of two songs and pick out the lossless one everytime...:/ Anything less causes my ears to cringe.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:54:58 am by CCsaint10 »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2011, 06:53:20 am »

Yeah I was hesitant to tell him the same story. Engineers and sound engineers... are not the same. I happen to be both :/

While his comment is accurate, what he derived from it is not.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2011, 10:40:28 am »

Saint, you call me out on not knowing what I'm talking about, then you go on a serious diatribe about how lawless and mp3 are extremely different.

Not to be rude, but DUH.

My commentary was clearly only talking about the bitrate differences between the same method of compression. Regardless of how many bits you cram into an mp3, you are still doing a tremendous amount of compression aside from the bitrate. This includes low pass filtering to about 16 khz, which is why you lose a lot of the cymbols and stuff.

Please don't go on rants until you've taken a signals processing class. Thanks :-)

I'm just going to drop this here (Not scientific): http://www.maximumpc.com/article/do_higher_mp3_bit_rates_pay_off?page=0,0
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:48:08 am by killermonkey »

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2011, 04:40:24 am »

ah, sorry KM. I guess I didn't interpret that correctly. Usually I hear people talk about the difference between a 192mp3 and a flac as unnoticable, but what you were talking about was between mp3 compressions. My bad. I take back my shit talk I through at you. I agree with you fully. It is very difficult to determine a 320 and a 192 as they both filter out similar frequencies and sounds. Now if only everyone would realize that flac and mp3 are vastly different....that will take some time. :)

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2011, 10:23:36 am »

While I was surprised to see the difference between a good mix and a bad mix spectrally, compression did affect this judgement. However, compression generally removes parts you wouldn't notice anyway. That said... everything I stated still stands (I think?).

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »

Today was quite possibly the best day I've ever had.

I woke up today and decided to take action against that film company. I told them straight up "Pay me the agreed and documented account by tomorrow or I'm going to sue."

The boss of the group called me, completely in the dark about the situation. Turns out one person in the company held a personal vendetta against me over something retarded. I'm forgiving them for this, because I can take them further than they could have ever hoped to go. I've met so many influential people and made so many connections, I really can help them succeed. I was willing to look past how horribly this individual treated me, and the fact that he stole money from me. He's a talented guy, and he'd better not fuck up again.

Basically, my role in the film industry is restored. On another note;

I've been trying for ages to get together with SoundSex to collaborate on some music. He's one of the most recognized tech-house DJs in Hawaii. His brother, Superstar DJ Keoki was one of the few that gave birth to the underground party scene as we know it today. Tonight was the first time either of us actually followed through. I showed up at his Waikiki condo and played some of my music for him and his hottie girlfriend. She was in tears because she loved it so much.

Miko (soundsex) told me that producers would kill to be in my position right now. Then he told me to give him my five best tracks. He flew out to LA this morning to do a show. He's going to spin my tracks at a massive, then show them to his label.

I've already got the backing of two record labels. Miko is about to put my music on iTunes and Spotify.

Trent's not going to be broke for much longer.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 04:36:22 pm »

Bro thats amazing man! Im so happy to hear this!

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2011, 04:54:51 am »

That is amazing to hear! I'm so freaking stoked to hear that! Congrats!!

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2011, 09:40:48 am »

Trent, you are my hero :D

Congrads

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2011, 04:17:32 pm »

I got a call yesterday from a friend I haven't heard from in over four years. He was the producer of the first film I'd ever scored. He's the reason I ended up making any money at all in the film industry. After a year of working with him, he went to China for a few years to teach English. Deciding to answer the call despite the retarded early time of 9:00 AM was the smartest decision I've made in a while.

He hooked me up with a gig to do sound design for a Chinese documentary that he flew to Hawaii to shoot. It's paying ridiculously well. I'm financially secure for quite a while now, so I'm thinking of undertaking a hell of a project: learning the Unreal Engine.

Hell, maybe if I get good enough I can rally people to make a port of GoldenEye: Source over to Unreal 3. Wouldn't that be sexy as shit? GoldenEye shall never die!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 06:06:02 am by basstronix »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2011, 06:03:50 pm »

From what I understand, unreal doesn't let you do any hardcore coding, only scripting.

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2011, 07:07:04 pm »

Well I'll spend the next week or so fiddling with it. I'll report back when I've learned a bit about it.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »

From what I understand, unreal doesn't let you do any hardcore coding, only scripting.

Well from what I've seen people do in the Unreal Engine, the scripting language must be ridiculously powerful.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:14:40 pm by Jonathon [SSL] »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2011, 09:23:59 pm »

The original Unreal 1's engine from the first Unreal game is really complete, Unfortunately, Almost everyone forgot about it. The engine and game is still being updated by the community up to this very day, Surprisingly enough. I've heard possibilities with this engine are unlimited, However, It is indeed a bit old for GE:S to run on, But it has a lot of potential. Just letting you guys know. ;)

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #59 on: December 09, 2011, 09:45:31 pm »

Doesn't Killing Floor run on one of the UT engines?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up