GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 09:37:18 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: trying to run a server on linux but srcds crashes  (Read 3539 times)

Tux9656

trying to run a server on linux but srcds crashes
« on: July 09, 2010, 08:22:02 am »

Hello.
I'm trying to set up a GES server under Linux.  However, the server seems to immediately crash with a segmentation fault.  I get this error message:
========================================
./srcds_run: line 344:  2120 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $HL_CMD
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.
Cannot access memory at address 0xbf824a0c
/home/tux9656/hlds/2/debug.cmds:4: Error in sourced command file:
Cannot access memory at address 0xbf824a0c
email debug.log to linux@valvesoftware.com
========================================
I am able to host HL2 deathmatch fine and I checked the md5 sum of the file, gesource_beta_4_full.zip, I downloaded and it checked out just fine so I don't think anything is corrupted.  I'd appreciate any advise anyone has to offer.  Thanks.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: trying to run a server on linux but srcds crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:30:35 pm »

As the resident linux GES expert I will have to say: sorry but I can't help you.

Valve constantly breaks linux support on their dedicated server. It's anyones guess as to the problem. That blurb you posted is absolutely helpless.

Tux9656

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 11:09:06 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  Perhaps you are right in that a recent update broke something.  From what I've seen on this forum, it seems like Valve's updates break things often.  I guess I'll try the Steam forums, but I bet I'll get the whole "third party mods aren't supported, blah, blah, blah."

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:47:15 pm »

I used to be a diehard linux user for srcds until I got fed up with valve breaking up everything every day.

The best answer you'll ever have is: switch to windows. Yeah it sucks but it's more stable than linux when it comes to dealing with valve's products.
Pages: [1]   Go Up