GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 08:17:01 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goldeneye 64 OST - New Orchestral Versions!  (Read 5676 times)

lefunk

Goldeneye 64 OST - New Orchestral Versions!
« on: May 11, 2010, 02:18:58 am »

I have remade some of the tracks from Goldeneye, purely for my own satisfaction - in a more traditional,dare i say it - John Barry-esque style...
Here is my version of Runway - If anyone wants to hear more i'll put all my efforts up ... comments very welcome
Enjoy  ;D

"Runway"
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q21PQP8E

-another link to song:

Here

"Subterranean Caverns"
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2V0M3UAL
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:43:50 pm by lefunk »

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Goldeneye 64 OST - New Orchestral Versions!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:20 am »

Wow I like this, it's a great sounding remix, it sounds a whole lot like the Connery Bond Film Soundtracks from the 60s (especially the last half), something I've never seen done with a Goldeneye remix, and you pulled it off really well IMO.

VSTs could use a little more toning in places for a sharper accent/longer falloff where applicable, and to me it feels like there's not much change in dynamics and it feels like a lot of the instruments are playing right next to my ear while others are a few feet away (like the cello vs. the harp, respectively), and a little general reverb would enhance that "orchestra" effect you're going for.

I'd definitely love to hear more though.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:21:30 am »

Really, really awesome. I love how it develops into Runway X at the outro. I just wanted to hear more at that point!

I really liked it. Hats off to you, sir.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:32:32 am »

+1 for effort and outcome.

I'm not yet sure if I'd want to add it to my Runway playlist in-game; it feels like it's missing something...
In and of itself it's very well done.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenZen music - Nothing`s impossible
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:08:06 am »

Very good ear SSL, good points. The lack of hall and reverb makes it sound a little unnatural. The track itself is indeed quite good but I don`t see it in the GoldenEye soundtrack - therefor it has not enough drive or atmosphere.
The Cello sometimes sounds odd to me, especially in parts where you pitch it to much. Also there`s no bassline at the beginning. For your orchestral attempt I wouldn`t recommend an electric bass though but some double bass would help.
Also the snare drums; They feel very VST-ish. You might want to try to tweak them a little bit.
What I don`t like at all is this synth instrument that comes in at 1.00 for some seconds; it doesn`t fit in the orchestral setting at all. This line could easily be played by a piano or the harp like in the beginning.
From 1.40 on you really captured this John Barry thing, that sounds very cool.
Then at 2.13 this terrible (sorry) synth again playing the bond theme. IMO that instrument is an absolute no-go in that set.
From 2.42 on you have a really good drive, also there`s a bass and some movement. That`s cool !

Those are my opinions I hope you can use something of this.

Cheers,

Yannick
"...ни однохо выздоха...гдые вашй.... I`m alone" Россия

опасно - не входитъ - Ыанник

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:05:16 pm »

Overall, not bad.  I like how you mixed the original bond theme form with the runway.

I agree with Goldenzen both on the weird synth and the use of electric bass.

Here are some things that may help improve your piece!

1.) French horns would very rarely IF EVER play that low - and even then they definitely wouldn't do more than a phrase.  If you're going to play that low often, it would be better to have trombones / euphonium / tuba play that instead, since you're primarily just doing brass hits.  Did you only have french horns and trumpets?

2.) The Dulcimer riff at 0:28 implies that you're going to move somewhere else, but you don't, you just go back to the primary theme.

3.) At 0:36, it would be better for the cellos to be louder + everyone else be softer to help the melody in the cellos come out more.

4.) At 0:45, the trumpets could definitely join the violins / violas, a crescendo would be great too.  Also, if you had the violins double octaves (8va) there would be more "flare" or motion into the next section.

5.) At 0:47, since your coming right off of a Mannheim Rocket, it wouldn't be the best idea to give the cellos the theme - not a very high-octane instrument for the situation - particularly the register you chose.  Perhaps give to trumpets and horns instead?

6.) Also, since you move to a much slower and quieter section after that, you could give more contrast between the two by having more brass/string activity after 0:45 - it seems to be the climax of the piece?

7.) Hearing it again, your texture (especially at the beginning) sounds thin.  Is that intentional?

8.) At 2:16, I definitely like the switch to swing, it was a nice touch, but again, I thought there was going to be more movement, and it ended up being anti-climatic.  The texture (especially brass) was very thin - especially when compared to the original bond theme recording.

9.) At 2:48, I like that you have all the string playing the primary theme in unison, however, I don't know if the texture of the rest of the instruments is able to support all the unison playing.

10.) To help with what Jonathon [SSL] mentioned about the "orchestra effect," try googling "orchestra layout" or something, and hopefully you'll see some pictures of the layout of an orchestra - this is very helpful because you can adjust your panning / volumes appropriately (for example, you wouldn't have french horns on the left.)

11.) To help with texture / orchestration options, you may want to think about including other instruments. 

These are instruments that are commonly found in orchestras but (I don't think) were present in the piece:

- piccolo
- flute
- oboe
- english horn
- clarinet
- bassoon
- contrabassoon
- trombone
- euphonium
- tuba
- viola?
- bass drum?
- timpani

Although you had trumpet and french horn, trumpets / trombones are generally written for in 2 or 3 parts, and horns are typically written for in 4 parts.

Goldenzen talked about "pitching" the cellos too much -  the glissandos sound odd because only the cellos are doing it.  If the violins / violas(?) did it as well, it would sound more pallet-able.

Overall, great effort and well done!  I can tell you put time into it, and it's obvious when someone does compared to when someone just duct-tapes something together!

I only mention those things to help the piece improve (make it MORE cool!) and to help you improve in your writing!

Well done and keep it up!

lefunk

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:25:49 pm »

Blimey - I didn't expect the spanish inquistion!

Thanks so much for the feedback - some of the points are really useful for me, some not so. I have been producing music for over 20 years but only just got into the orchestral side about 8 months ago - i started this project to help me learn while also having fun with these great tunes,as i said - for my own pleasure. I thought some people here may want to hear them as you are probably more familiar with the music than anybody else! 

I wanted to keep the essence of the originals , which is why i haven't added much more instrumentation or harmony,but have focused on taking things out more than adding in.
Les Baxter scored a lot of low budget films and could rarely afford a full orchestra, maybe i should have said semi-orchestral! 
 I am a big fan of John Barry, and i love it when he was using synthesisers and electric bass. I don't really care about being too traditional with my orchestration, it's fun to add in some other elements and take away others.
  Anyway now i am going to load up the song and try a couple of things out...

Thanks again to all for taking the time to listen to my work, and for the intelligent criticisms.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 01:30:34 am »

I know I would love to hear any more tracks that you have any for us.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:03:06 am »

can someone repost that as a direct link..i never got to hear it and megaupload is being megagay

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

lefunk

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:03:54 pm »

Next up is "Subterranean Caverns" , just gonna tweak it a bit more and will put it on here when i'm reasonably happy with it! Just checked the link and it still seems good ... :)

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 09:46:49 pm »

I added another link, direct download/listen.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 10:18:20 pm »

Definitely a good start.  I'd work a bit more on the subtle atmospherics/texture though. Unfortunately it still sounds a bit like video game music :) Keep at it! I'm very happy to see more community based remixes!

lefunk

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 02:35:09 pm »

Here is my version of Subterranean Caverns - i have not had time to work more on it as i have been working 18 hours a day on a film score/sound design! So here it is - i hope somebody enjoys it, it's definitely better than my "Runway" effort IMHO,

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2V0M3UAL

Like before - comments are welcome - especially nice constructive ones - or ones that just say "It's great" :)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 07:35:29 pm »

...Yeah. I could play to this.
I'm in no position to critique so I'll leave it at that.

2:28 - 2:45 reminded me of the menus from Wolf3D for some reason, which was pretty cool.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC
Pages: [1]   Go Up