GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 03:17:04 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Application for Level Design and Music Production  (Read 9845 times)

Crackshot

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Crackshot is looked down upon.
Application for Level Design and Music Production
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:22:02 pm »

-Position applied for
Level Design and Music Production

-Relevant Experience
2 years experience mapping for both L4D and Counter-Strike: Source as for music, 1 years experience producing electronica

-Programs used
Fruity Loops Studio 9, Hammer World Editor

-Email
Faygo232@hotmail.com

-MSN\AIM
Faygo232@hotmail.com

Portfolio:

Maps:
http://www.fpsbanana.com/members/maps/642705

Music:
www.myspace.com/djcolinyost

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Application for Level Design and Music Production
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »

Pick 1. Level designer OR music production.

Crackshot

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 08:58:13 pm »

Level Design, its my strong point

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:46:00 pm »

Your maps could use some work.

The lighting is incredibly simplistic, and there's little brushwork to speak of as a majority of your maps are populated by large amounts of static props with very basic geometry.

cs_snowshot

http://sierra.fpsbanana.com/ss/maps/124110a.jpg

Why is there snow all over the ground here? If there were cars driving around, wouldn't most of it have been plowed out of the way or melted revealing the ground underneath? Additionally, why is there a light on if it's sunny outside? Also, there is no external detail to speak of, it looks as if once you reach the top of the building in the screenshot all that's there is sky. A slanted roof or the tops of other buildings could help with detail.

http://sierra.fpsbanana.com/ss/maps/124110b.jpg

There's not much interesting here, some blocky curves with brushed based lights (use models for these) and a high lightmap scale for blocky blobs of light.

http://sierra.fpsbanana.com/ss/maps/124110c.jpg

just bad lighting again, with no contrast or shadows to speak of except for the single overdetailed dynamic one on the physics table underneath the earthquake detector thing (why would that be in an office anyway?). Hint: to make a physics/dynamic prop blend in with a bunch of static props, disable shadows on it and use a block light brush on it in the same general shape. The window on the left of the screenshot looks pretty bad too, it's using a standard tinted glass texture and is just stuck in the wall at the same width with no metal or concrete border around it.

http://sierra.fpsbanana.com/ss/maps/124110d.jpg

Super simple brushwork again with blocky lighting which is all the same color. Additionally, the lighting origin on the bathroom door prop is off, resulting in the door being fully lit when it's actually in a shadow. The sprite on top of the tree looks oversized and distorted, very goldsrc-like.

gg_crackshot_final

Do yourself a favor and never post anything in a portfolio that has a large amount of dev textures. It looks like you don't have the perseverance to make a map look good, instead being satisfied with making a bunch of walls and throwing in some point lights and spawns and calling it a day.

gg_crackoffice_final_awp

http://dog.fpsbanana.com/ss/maps/99532a.jpg

Everything here is pretty plain, the textures are pretty monotone and the brushwork is pretty simple with a few static props thrown in. The light comong from the streetlamp feels far too diffuse and a strange yellow, and the spotlight coming from it is way too long. On the bottom left of the screenshot there's some brush based doors which don't even match the door frame size when they're closed, and inside there's a ramp with some nice tiling when some worn stairs or something would make a lot more sense.

http://dog.fpsbanana.com/ss/maps/99532b.jpg

Pretty plain with uniform lighting once again, there is no light prop in the far back of the screenshot or you set the fade distance too close, the cubicle walls are too low, and the textures on them are low resolution and dull.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/screens/99532?img=http://dog.fpsbanana.com/ss/maps/99532a.jpg

More of the same, with the addition of the gravel texture on the roof being ridiculously low resolution.

Pretty much all of the crits for the above map apply to fy_crackoffice_final as well.

I don't mean to offend or discourage you. I think you've got the very basics, but you could still learn a whole lot more.

Right now we're pretty full on the level design and sound teams, we would have to see some truly outstanding work. You're probably also need to have additional skills too, such as the ability to make your own models or textures.

Wait for a lead to come by and give the official word though.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:00:31 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Crackshot

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 10:09:25 pm »

I would like to point out that while your criticism is correct and I totally agree, most of the projects there are old and outdated only posted because its all I have to offer and I have since then improved my skills but have not submitted any projects to FPSB in some time and I assure you any issues I may still have can be worked out quite fast seeing as how level design is not just a hobby but a passion of mine and I wish to improve it any way possible which is a reason why I want to help anyway I can with this project.

Also I would like add that the best way to get a look at my work is by downloading the map and looking at it in-game mainly because I don't put much effort into my screen shots. I would like to post a link to the unfinished L4D Campaign that I made with a friend of mine to give a view as to my single player level design work aswell.

Also as for your comments on gg_crackoffice_final_awp that is the first map I ever created with Hammer or the source engine for that matter.

http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=1878
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:14:26 pm by Crackshot »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 10:37:53 pm »

As SSL said, you have the basics down pretty good. Now it is time to polish them. Unfortunately we do not have the room for any more level designers. Please do not be discouraged by this, simply continue to pratice your art, and you might just become great at it. Good luck man.

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Crackshot

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 10:43:57 pm »

Alright well thanks for at least taking the time to look over my application and i hope you consider me for any projects you may have in the future. Until otherwise best of luck with the mod and i look forward to seeing the final version.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 01:20:12 am »

If you want you can still make fun third party maps for the mod. The look of your maps are fairly open, so maybe try to remake skyrail from Nightfire :P

If anything it would be a fun map.

Crackshot

• Agent

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 02:52:11 pm »

I'm still seeing a lot of the same errors in that new map. I would take the criticism above and apply it to your new map.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 03:18:48 pm »

A word of advice:

If you want to improve your mapping, you need to step away from the Banana. You'll rarely, if ever, get any useful feedback there. I used to try to help people there, but the moderators suppress anything that's remotely critical, so it's not worth the effort. I doubt if I'm the only one to have that experience. Interlopers might be your best bet, or even if you post here you'll get a lot more than on CSBanana.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Crackshot

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 01:33:30 am »

A word of advice:

If you want to improve your mapping, you need to step away from the Banana. You'll rarely, if ever, get any useful feedback there. I used to try to help people there, but the moderators suppress anything that's remotely critical, so it's not worth the effort. I doubt if I'm the only one to have that experience. Interlopers might be your best bet, or even if you post here you'll get a lot more than on CSBanana.

Would you be available to mentor me, or at least point me to a site that I can post my work and get proper critiquing and advice because I really want to improve my level design I want to hopefully make a profession out of it in the future.

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 01:59:28 am »

interlopers.net is a good site to get some advice and critique.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 02:26:37 am »

Id say join a smaller, less established mod. Youve got some potential but these guys are rather picky xD (especially on level design where at the moment we are quite full)

Have a poke around moddb and find a smaller mod to help build on your skills :)

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

Crackshot

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 02:36:43 am »

Id say join a smaller, less established mod. Youve got some potential but these guys are rather picky xD (especially on level design where at the moment we are quite full)

Have a poke around moddb and find a smaller mod to help build on your skills :)

yeah well, the main reason I was hoping to join this is to improve my skills in the first place but I guess it would be better to not waste the time of this team and just go find a mentor elsewhere, hence why i asked about the site.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 09:00:28 pm »

I would like to point out that while your criticism is correct and I totally agree, most of the projects there are old and outdated only posted because its all I have to offer and I have since then improved my skills but have not submitted any projects to FPSB in some time and I assure you any issues I may still have can be worked out quite fast seeing as how level design is not just a hobby but a passion of mine and I wish to improve it any way possible which is a reason why I want to help anyway I can with this project.

Also I would like add that the best way to get a look at my work is by downloading the map and looking at it in-game mainly because I don't put much effort into my screen shots. I would like to post a link to the unfinished L4D Campaign that I made with a friend of mine to give a view as to my single player level design work aswell.

Also as for your comments on gg_crackoffice_final_awp that is the first map I ever created with Hammer or the source engine for that matter.

http://www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=1878
I know this will come off pretty douchey, but it's hopefully good advice anyway: get a little more professional in this area. Walk and free-look around your maps and take screenshots that look good. Take care with what's in the frame to not leave big dead areas or anything unsightly. Take these shots with screenshot instead of jpeg, get them into an image editor, crop them, tweak the contrast and color if you need to, resize as needed, then save as a high-quality JPEG. Forget about any maps that don't show your best work; just leave them out. Write half a paragraph for each map, just enough to explain what it is. Then find somewhere to put it that's fairly unrestricted, like here or similar, or even better get a domain name and some basic hosting (a lot of registars give you some free hosting with a domain, or vice-versa). I've got some hosting that I plan to keep for at least another year if you want to use that.

Would you be available to mentor me, or at least point me to a site that I can post my work and get proper critiquing and advice because I really want to improve my level design I want to hopefully make a profession out of it in the future.
Interlopers is probably your best bet that I know of. If you want to send me some work I'll take a look at it, but you'll be best served any way by getting several opinions. I'm not aware of much in the way of mentoring to be had out there. If you get onto a mod, I wouldn't hope for a lot more than some support in the form of playtesting, models, textures, and direction. I doubt if there's anyone who will show you the ropes as far as mapping goes. Look for personal sites/blogs of mappers that have done some good work and written something about their processes. Information out there is pretty patchwork. IMO Dave Johnston's blog has some good stuff.

I don't want to get any further off-topic here though; this is already well beyond what belongs in this forum.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:43:06 am by mookie »
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up