GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:26:28 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Dell XPS model  (Read 17267 times)

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Kujo has no influence.
Custom Dell XPS model
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:06:22 am »

While working on my map of the computer lab I work in, I realized it wasn't going to look very complete unless I had some custom models to work with (as the only computer model in GES is an ancient 386 PC from the control room). I spent some time learning how models are used in hammer, and figured out how to extract the "Beefy" Dell Dimension computer from cs_offce (Counter Strike) and import into my map. 

However, I also wanted to portray the Dell XPS 700 machines we had in the lab. My friend, who had only done some simplistic modeling for Oblivion a while back, decided to try his hand at 3ds Max Studio, and see what he could do. This is what he came up with:
http://playground.bradley.edu/~moverholt/xps.jpg

After completing the skin and getting it in game, this was the result:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3608/3461369029_b8a512413f_b.jpg
^^ Click for larger image ^^

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3621/3462184682_fc649a12e3_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/3461360943_48fb3b1cae_b.jpg

Not bad for his first Source model!  And yes, we noticed there was an issue with the outer metal shell being too thin and not texturing properly from behind, and are working on a solution.  But this is his mostly finished model.

Let me know what you guys think, and I'll make sure to show him what you guys say.

P.S. This also shows you a little more of the work I've done on my ge_mislab map.  It is mostly complete, except for a few more custom models and textures I might try to get in there.  Now, I am mostly working on expanding the map to the rest of the building and giving it more playability than the small room the lab makes up.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 07:10:19 am by Kujo »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Custom Dell XPS model
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:58 pm »

Add $nocull 1 to the textures vmt. This will enable drawing of the texture on the "culled" side of the polygon.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:26:13 pm »

The map is looking good. The number of props in the room shown on the room may make the map a little iffy performance wise, but since you get 157 fps with everything maxed out (I guess it is maxed out), it shouldn't represent that much of a punch on lower-end systems, that are supposed to run the mod at lower settings. It'll probably be like Archives.

The model of that Dell looks nice btw.

Keep up the good work!

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 06:34:22 pm »

The map is looking good. The number of props in the room shown on the room may make the map a little iffy performance wise

Agreed, you do seem a bit crunched on elbow room with alllll of those computers squished one after one, maybe add some leeway room and stuff?

all out though, looks sexy

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:42:47 pm »

Props to your prop.

Agreed, you do seem a bit crunched on elbow room with alllll of those computers squished one after one, maybe add some leeway room and stuff?

Methinks everyone there works with a dual monitor setup.

Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 12:56:31 am »

Be carefull with modeling/mapping a school building, someone might mistake this and think you're going to run amok and prepear yourself with this nasty nasty "Killergames".

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 02:42:38 am »

Be carefull with modeling/mapping a school building, someone might mistake this and think you're going to run amok and prepear yourself with this nasty nasty "Killergames".
Yeah, that's probably why I'll never take the map public, just something to practice mapping techniques and for my friends to mess around with.

since you get 157 fps with everything maxed out (I guess it is maxed out)
Yes, I do have all the video settings maxed out for GE:S with an Nvidia GTX260.

That would be correct ( except the "Admin" station, which has 4 monitors  ;) )

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 02:57:37 am »

$$$$ video card for them.

Does it actually, or is that just for the sake of the map?
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 03:59:16 am »

Props to your prop.

*cough* >.>

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 05:46:26 am »

$$$$ video card for them.

Does it actually, or is that just for the sake of the map?
Each computer has dual monitors, except the one which has 4. 

All the Dell XPS's came with Nvidia 8600 GTS's, and the other Dells all have some lower end ati card. Each of the ATI and Nvidia card's have dual DVI ports on them, allowing two monitors per card.

I was able to find a spare ATI card somewhere in our stuff, and threw it in one of the XPS's, stealing its 8600 and putting it the Admin station, thus having dual 8600's and 4 monitors (which can also be put into SLI, which of course drops you back down to two monitors, but increased performance).  Its amazing how fast you use all that screen real estate when you have multiple remote desktop connections open to servers with browsers, word documents, etc.

And hey, the business college pays for all of it, so I have nothing to complain about. It's a fun job, despite all the newbies wanting their password reset daily :P

Kujo

• Tester
  • Secret Agent
  • Kujo has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 05:53:11 am »

Add $nocull 1 to the textures vmt. This will enable drawing of the texture on the "culled" side of the polygon.
Thanks KM! That worked great! We figured we were going to have to redo a large portion of the model to fix that   :)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 07:07:31 am »

nice model buddy. Looks like the real deal too.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Lunarman55

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 03:11:47 pm »

Thanks KM! That worked great! We figured we were going to have to redo a large portion of the model to fix that   :)
Ya...that solves a lot of problems. Now I won't have to do so much work to fix this thing, hehe

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 08:45:40 pm »

I would tone down the saturation on the red, it makes the model stand out too much in the maps overall color scheme.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 04:38:51 am »

Each computer has dual monitors, except the one which has 4. 

All the Dell XPS's came with Nvidia 8600 GTS's, [...] allowing two monitors per card.

Yes I knew that. Was just asking if the room actually has an admin station with 4 monitors. ::)

Hmm... I dunno. I kind of like the red. When viewing the entire room, it's not that bad.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up