GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:48:45 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible server options. Regarding disabling blood splatter and cheats.  (Read 7653 times)

Utikal

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Utikal has no influence.

I am wondering how you guys have considered extending custom server options in the future. I think it would be nice to be able to disable the blood splatter similar to how you can disable jumping. I am aware that there are some hl2 commands that can modify the in-game violence(violence_hgibs and violence_hblood), but I'd like having a custom GE:S command to disable the blood decals on walls while leaving in the blood decals on player models and blood spray. More options aren't ever a bad thing, and this would allow the violence to be more similar to the original if needed while also making the paintball mode more authentic.

Another thing I was wondering about were cheats. I'm sure you guys haven't overlooked this, but where are you on classic cheats like DK mode for Goldeneye: Source? Is it ever gonna be done? I can see some problems arising, but it seems like a good idea.

Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:56:18 pm by Utikal »

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
Re: Possible server options. Regarding disabling blood splatter and cheats.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 02:55:50 am »

If you played in the gravel pit server, then there's actually extra blood due to a mod I installed called the Goremod. You should also notice drip drops of blood splatter from your view as well. I could be wrong, but I think Doc installed goremod on his server as well. I guess it would be a good option for the client side app to let users choose, if that's possible.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:30:45 pm »

Be able to disable the blood decalls with a cvar, for a more classic-feeling, I say YES! Cheats? Since it's multi, i don't think it's usefull, but can be fun.

I think Doc installed goremod on his server as well
No, I don't. Not a fan of gore-blood-effects.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 12:35:35 pm by Doc.NO »

Utikal

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 07:21:27 pm »

Be able to disable the blood decalls with a cvar, for a more classic-feeling, I say YES! Cheats? Since it's multi, i don't think it's usefull, but can be fun.

Being able to use the cheats in multi-player added a lot to both Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I think its part of what made the games so memorable at the time. It gave them quite a unique feel, and added further customization.

All guns is self-explanatory.

DK mode looked ridiculous, and made head-shots MUCH easier. Imagine your surprise after entering a server and seeing this cheat active!

PD's Quake-style unlimited ammo, no reloads was complete chaos. Unlimited ammo was nice too, and didn't break the game as much as the former.

I just think it would be cool to pay homage to some of the cheats in the original. It's certainly not necessary, but I think people would enjoy it.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 07:54:20 pm »

I think mostly likely at least some of the cheats will be in the final version.  However, since thats in the programming dept, lots of other stuff has high priority in that section. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 11:26:18 pm »

All guns, unlimited ammo, no reloads, etc... are easy to code, so i think we might see em in a future release. Some of them can be even done ATM with server side plugins.
But don't dream with DK... since ges has a character modelers/animators lack.

Utikal

• Agent
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:36:29 pm »

All guns, unlimited ammo, no reloads, etc... are easy to code, so i think we might see em in a future release. Some of them can be even done ATM with server side plugins.
But don't dream with DK... since ges has a character modelers/animators lack.

Really? How much work would someone have to do to get a DK mode separate on the currently existing models? Admittedly, I don't know much at all about modifications, but it didn't seem like it would require TOO much work. My thoughts were that you'd need to enlage the head, arms/forearms, and probably the weapons in a way that would still mesh with the original models body with it being toggable in-game.

I'm not sure whether or not the animations would need major re-workings, or how the hitboxes would be effected. Could someone clarify?

Also, disabling the blood as previously described would be easy, correct?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:38:02 pm by Utikal »

SDFprowler

• Agent
  • SDFprowler has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 04:57:19 am »

I'm bumping this thread because it's been nearly a year now and it's quite possible that the prioritization of cheats has been given light.. or one can hope ;)  Any information at all about cheats?  Perhaps the DK Mode?  I'm not holding my breath on that one, but it would be a great addition to the mod :)  Make it feel more like I'm actually playing Goldeneye.

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Bissrok has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 06:25:06 am »

Well, for Beta 3 I know they have Paintball Mode planned. Looks like that's the only cheat in, though.

SDFprowler

• Agent
  • SDFprowler has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 09:16:26 am »

Sometime this past week I was playing on a server that had paintball mode activated.. it was pretty cool

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 07:24:15 pm »

Hmmmm, this is an interesting idea. I think a blanket "disable blood decal on wall" when paintball mode is active would suffice and not create anymore burden on the server's side with 1000 options to implement.

The key improvements of Beta 3 are indeed hit detection, effective invulnerability, and a slew of gameplay features never before seen. The major difference is you won't see ANY blood impacts if you don't actually do damage to the player, IE if you are spamming someone with RCP90 and you are activating the player's invuln during 50% of your hits, you won't see a slew of blood coming out. Blood will only register when you get a confirmed hit. This is a really nice feature because its visual feedback to you when you actually "got him"

I'll look into this, but its def not a priority. As far as "cheats", the only ones you will get are Paintball and All Weapons (impulse 101)

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 08:18:54 pm »

"The key improvements of Beta 3 are indeed hit detection."

That's all I needed to hear. You guys can add whatever weird cheats as long as my damn hits register in LTK. lol
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

ShadeX

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 09:58:56 pm »

Wait a sec, If there is only beta 1 and a 1.1 patch, how are the devs on to beta 3 already. I don't really know how the beta system works though.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:08 pm »

Alpha 1.0: First release, very rough but playable DM.
Alpha 1.1: A month later. New models (ammo crates instead of the HL2 boxes) and cleanup. Bad spawns in Egyptian ftl.
Beta 1.0: A year later. Epic fail because everyone was arguing and rushing against Christmas.
Beta 1.1h: Patch to make Beta 1.0 playable.
Beta 2: Unreleased. A failed attempt to get the WIP stable, but because of all the things Valve broke, it was pretty much hopeless.
Beta 3: Pending. Based on Orange Box, the things that were broken in the old engine of Beta 1.X are either not broken in OB or have been fixed.

When I say Beta 2 I usually mean 1.X because that's clearer than Alpha 1/Beta 1.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: [1]   Go Up