GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 12:42:50 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Release date of GE:s Beta 3  (Read 26305 times)

1Rusky

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • 1Rusky has no influence.
Re: Release date of GE:s Beta 3
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2008, 10:50:29 pm »

Would it be a stretch to estimate by the end of the year?

irfman

• Secret Agent
  • irfman is looked down upon.
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2008, 12:27:42 am »

I have one real quick question, what happens when Valve releases the updated version of source like what they done with Episode 2, whats gonna happen then?

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2008, 12:41:46 am »

Beta 3 is already using the Episode2 Engine(Orangebox Engine). So when Beta3 is released you won't even need to buy Orangebox, the SDK will just need a update(or something very similar).

The updates have been pretty conservative, the main thing I love about Beta3 is the new look, so in future media releases should get better and better with new ingame shots.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

ChronoSKitz

• A portal
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ChronoSKitz has no influence.
    • Chronetic
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2008, 09:51:24 pm »

After a while you get used to not seeing updates for a while, I'd rather have em just get it done right. We've received rushed product before It's fun for a little while but then you get bored knowing there's more from the original goldeneye you want to see anyway.

Now that the phantom is in this time, I'll be on my toes like I was for the original alpha,

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 11:06:55 pm »

and the reason we want EVERYTHING to be in game for this release, is that we are doing a True beta.

now as for a release date... uhh it wont be years i know that much, but it wont be days either haha.

ummm, are you serious? PLEASE DONT tell me you guys are going to take yearS with a "s"....frankly, if it isn't done within a year from now...that will kind of make me wonder since it looks like from the gameplay that the foundation is set and all you have to do is throw in achievements and weapons and fix bugs...I don't think that should take 2 years..or even a year. Please, I really hope it wont take that long. That "s" you put on "years" REALLY FREAKISHLY scares me.

Also, by saying a COMPLETE beta..does that mean you are adding EVERY WEAPON IN THE WHOLE GAME before releasing..or do you just mean all the weapons you guys have created as of right now? If that is the case, will the grenade launcher and rocket launcher make it in THIS beta?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:10:17 pm by bklax23 »

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 12:18:11 am »

ummm, are you serious? PLEASE DONT tell me you guys are going to take yearS with a "s"....frankly, if it isn't done within a year from now...that will kind of make me wonder since it looks like from the gameplay that the foundation is set and all you have to do is throw in achievements and weapons and fix bugs...I don't think that should take 2 years..or even a year. Please, I really hope it wont take that long. That "s" you put on "years" REALLY FREAKISHLY scares me.

Also, by saying a COMPLETE beta..does that mean you are adding EVERY WEAPON IN THE WHOLE GAME before releasing..or do you just mean all the weapons you guys have created as of right now? If that is the case, will the grenade launcher and rocket launcher make it in THIS beta?

This project is made by us on our freetime, we don't work in a studio so we don't work on it for 8+ hours a day so get off our backs, we also have lives outside of this mod.
Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2008, 12:25:03 am »

I also recall him saying that it won't be years with an "s".
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2008, 09:02:48 am »

Quote from: bklax23

My exact quote was "it wont be years i know that much" thought i was clear on that lol.

For your estimates for how long something should take, to be honest even i don't even know, and I've been with this project for 3 years. we never know when we will hit a lul in development, or when we will hit a peak its unpredictable when your working with people who are making things in their spare time and on a volunteer basis. To be able to give out solid dates on exactly how long things will take is foolish and ignorant on anyone's part including me.  we have no clue if monkey will get slammed with work, school, or hell get in a car wreak, then our main programmer would be out, and the project would be literally dead in the water.

Yes a complete beta does mean EVERY WEAPON otherwise that's not complete. and yes that does mean all the weapons we have created... we have finished every single gun in terms of modeling and texturing. i want the grenade launcher and rockets in before the game comes out, but the team could over vote me on that if the rest of the game is golden and we have to have it in a patch. but i really really would push for it, unless it was something like "if we put it in, we have to delay release for 2 months for 2 guns" that wouldn't be cool, but other than that yea i want them in.

with talking with various teammates and their expectations for when things can get done, we have a good idea of when we expect things to be ready to get into your guys hands, but tbh the team never knows 100% for sure. which is why we have to be a bit cryptic about dates. we don't want to disappoint you, and you don't want to be disappointed.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2008, 12:52:57 pm »

with talking with various teammates and their expectations for when things can get done, we have a good idea of when we expect things to be ready to get into your guys hands, but tbh the team never knows 100% for sure. which is why we have to be a bit cryptic about dates. we don't want to disappoint you, and you don't want to be disappointed.
With the Beta 1.0 rush, I understand why you guys don't want to set up a release date again. This is a good decision. Rather, why not release some percentages on what's done til that famous beta 3? It gives your community an approximate idea of where you guys stand in term of dev, and might calm down people like bklax23 ;). This is the way it was done back in 2005, and worked well.

sorry about the whole lack of updates thing, we do kinda suck at getting those out to you guys. the main reason we are slow with updates, is that they take a lot longer to assemble and a bit of work to do them. so we would rather just spend that time and effort actually making the game cause well that's a lot more fun for us haha.
That's why most of the mod out there always have one or two Public Relation dude. GES is probably the only non failing source mod whitout a PR dev...

Oh, and please: work on that nice photoshop art so called website. Should be more up-to-date :/
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:05:22 pm by Doc.NO »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2008, 02:18:16 pm »

Xanatos is the PR dev, dont ask me why he doesnt do his job anymore, same deal as any other dev i suspect ; better things to do for his time.

At this stage of the mod and this coming beta, it would be over the top to do such things as graphs and percentages. That should be a sign at how far off it may be.

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2008, 02:54:34 pm »

The front site is static content which is hard coded. While i was on the team i was pushing for a cms like joomla to be used but the server host scott didnt want it because it was dynamic (well scott these forums are dynamic to!) and thus its hard to update and prob wont be updated all that often.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2008, 04:36:20 pm »

Xanatos is the PR dev
LOL. Good joke.

it would be over the top to do such things as graphs and percentages. That should be a sign at how far off it may be.
Im not asking for a shitload of stats, graphs, etc... Just a little estimation on how far from release beta 3 is... 20%? 80%?

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 03:17:13 am »

Quote from: Doc.NO
With the Beta 1.0 rush, I understand why you guys don't want to set up a release date again. This is a good decision. Rather, why not release some percentages on what's done til that famous beta 3? It gives your community an approximate idea of where you guys stand in term of dev, and might calm down people like bklax23 ;). This is the way it was done back in 2005, and worked well.

That's why most of the mod out there always have one or two Public Relation dude. GES is probably the only non failing source mod whitout a PR dev...

Oh, and please: work on that nice photoshop art so called website. Should be more up-to-date :/

in terms of percentages, we would have to go through a check list to see, but most of the stuff is done, weapons are all modeled and textured. some of them need animations, our interface is set. the bulk of the game is in there and running.  monkey has a good idea of what the actually percentage is ill have to ask him, or maybe he will chime in.

when Xantos moved onto other things our PR kind of went down hill and the devs tried to cover it as best we could, but again we care more about making the game haha. Sharp is handling the PR stuff now so bug him if you want more info about the project he will talk your ear off haha. better to have us bad at PR, and good at making GES than good at PR and crap at making GES hehe.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 11:20:42 am »

better to have us bad at PR, and good at making GES than good at PR and crap at making GES hehe.
QFT, but a good game with no one playing it coz of a lack of PR wud be sad.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:23:45 am by Doc.NO »

UnKnown-Pain

• Secret Agent
  • UnKnown-Pain has no influence.
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 05:56:03 pm »

QFT, but a good game with no one playing it coz of a lack of PR wud be sad.

Agreed.

To be honest i expected more interest in the post about the Beta 3 update but it seems many people have moved on, also im sure many think this mod is dead. Perhaps if PR was present there would be a bigger fan base, then again im not one to criticise the devs decisions regarding that area.

I guess PR is a pain in the arse, still if you want to get more people playing this 'beta 3' get on the PR bandwagon !

Just an opinion :/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up