GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 02:36:51 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Character Speeds  (Read 6467 times)

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
Character Speeds
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:49:25 pm »

Maybe I'm just imagining this but it seems like some characters move faster than others.  I think Mayday and the Female Scientist are the fastest.  These characters also weight less than the others based on their stats in game.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I a nut?

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: Character Speeds
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 04:00:56 pm »

As far as I know the characters do not differ from one another (in terms of gameplay) and are not intended to.

So you might have noticed it in Living Daylights mode where the ones carrying flags are supposed (I guess) to be a little faster than the rest.

For anything other than that: you might have come across different players using these skins that were more agile than the other players you saw, moving more directly, so you got that impression.
Note: that's mostly the ones that have been around for some time and know exactly what they're doing, not hesitating a second, like most newer players do.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 04:28:57 pm »

There is a set run speed.  But you can go faster than it by using engine exploits such as wiggle walking and wall strafing.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:42:10 pm »

Yes you must not be using the speed bonus methods. You can do it as well, they are exploits kept in to maintain skilled players ability to use advantage of knowledge. Like i said, everyone can learn them though, and over time you can develop the same advantage.

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
  • El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.El Dudereno is working their way up.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:11:50 pm »

In the original Goldeneye on N64 you could run faster by constantly strafing while moving forward at an angle and so I've tried that on source and it seems like it works but I've got to get used to the new controls.  I use my xbox 360 controller with the speed freak adapter which extends the sticks for more precise controls.  I know mouse and keyboard players don't like it but I think the controls map very nicely with the 360 controller.  Its as close to the original as I can get.

Is this what you meant by wall strafing?  What is wiggle walking?  Sounds like what I was saying. 

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:21:24 pm »

You are correct on wall strafing.  This is an element left over from the Quake engine..

Wiggle walking is done be going left to right repeatedly really fast.

It just happens to be one of those things when done properly it give you a clear advantage like bunny hopping.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

El Dudereno

• Secret Agent
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »

Thanks.

By the way, I LOVE THIS GAME AND EVERYONE THAT HELPED BRING MY BELOVED GOLDENEYE BACK TO ME! 

I spent countless hours playing in college and I plan to play this til the servers go down.

If the campaigns were available I'd be in Heaven.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:55:10 pm »

Thanks.

By the way, I LOVE THIS GAME AND EVERYONE THAT HELPED BRING MY BELOVED GOLDENEYE BACK TO ME! 

I spent countless hours playing in college and I plan to play this til the servers go down.

If the campaigns were available I'd be in Heaven.

1 <3 |_|

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1]   Go Up