GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 23, 2024, 10:56:26 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Why having content released also benifits the devs.  (Read 10815 times)

AlCapwn

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • AlCapwn has no influence.
Why having content released also benifits the devs.
« on: February 04, 2008, 09:11:32 am »

A small note to the devs or anyone interested. I know you guys don't want to give a release date (oh, bad craziness), but don't hold off too long. Like it or not, releases please the community, and breathes life into it. And when the community is strong, and the demand is strong, the dev morale is high, everyone's pumped and all goes good. But when the community isn't so strong, then developers will tend to slack, not prioritize the mod as much as they should. Content creation slowly declines, not by much, but it's significant nonetheless.

I know a lot of you are hard at work, and you guys are doing great right now based on what I can see. I guess what I'm saying is go at it full force. I don't want this mod to die halfway through like all the others. It's a godly mod, don't hold off too long. Even updates from the mod team have faltered yet again, and that's kind of what prompted me to make this post. Even if you have nothing important to say, it's nice to have a sign of life, keep the faith strong. If the devs posted shit about their daily life, totally unrelated to GES, it'd STILL give people incentive and hope, and probably reduce the large amount of negativity that has infected a lot of people of the community. Not to mention more feedback, which is an important part of mod development, usually provides for a more polished product.

tl;dr I'm a ges junkie getting massive withdrawals, and i'm bitching on the forums about the devs

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
Re: Why having content released also benifits the devs.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 11:21:41 am »

releases please the community, and breathes life into it. And when the community is strong, and the demand is strong, the dev morale is high, everyone's pumped and all goes good.
Agree with that. Epic post.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 04:06:11 pm »

Heh, we want to release just as bad as you guys want us to.  It all comes back to lack of a programmer.   Its not like we are trying to hoard all the new stuff to ourselves or something.  We have all this great content, and no way to release without a programmer.  The situation may change in the near future though, so keep your fingers crossed. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 06:21:54 pm »

I was going to say...

I'm sure the devs have realized this already.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:44:54 pm »

Who was the programmer before?...I don't quite remember because back then I wasn't too involved in the forums...just gameplay. By the way, do you have a new programmer coming along? You said you "that might change in the near future" Whatda mean?

CCsaint10

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

aka. Anthony I (the new programmer), needs to be put to work, loaf whippage style
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 03:05:57 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:20:14 am »

a whips length ahead of ya haha
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 02:05:04 am »

Antony the first?....soooo...in english this time...what name does the programer go by....

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 04:06:23 am »

.... anthony....
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic

CCsaint10

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 05:50:50 pm »

....Does he go by the dev name of anthony...is that is name on the forums?..I have never seen that name if it is....

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer

CCsaint10

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 03:26:06 am »

yeah, with 16 posts, I can understand why I never saw him. :)

7SEALS

• Agent
  • 7SEALS is looked down upon.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 03:51:36 pm »

I agree! Moar content! lulz... I started C++ long ago and made a program a day. Did it for about 3 weeks, until I realized that C++ was a joke language. There are many better ones out there, that are much easier. The only benefit I found from C++ is that noobs couldn't read your coding, because 99% of it looks like gibberish. But hey, if you ever need someone to code you a calculator, clock, or even Hello world! Then you know who to go to.... lol

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 04:44:51 pm »

I agree! Moar content! lulz... I started C++ long ago and made a program a day. Did it for about 3 weeks, until I realized that C++ was a joke language. There are many better ones out there, that are much easier. The only benefit I found from C++ is that noobs couldn't read your coding, because 99% of it looks like gibberish. But hey, if you ever need someone to code you a calculator, clock, or even Hello world! Then you know who to go to.... lol

LOL. 7Seals full of shit again. C++ is great oo lang. Faster than other langs and almost every game engine is written in it. The only bad side of c++ is hard to code vui for it.

yeah, with 16 posts, I can understand why I never saw him. :)

He used to go by the name of pimpinjuice.

P.s. The new smilies suck.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 04:46:53 pm by Mark [lodle] »

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 07:05:42 am »

Did it for about 3 weeks, until I realized that C++ was a joke language. There are many better ones out there, that are much easier. The only benefit I found from C++ is that noobs couldn't read your coding, because 99% of it looks like gibberish. But hey, if you ever need someone to code you a calculator, clock, or even Hello world! Then you know who to go to.... lol

So after three weeks you determine that one of the most popular and syntacticly emulated languages was a joke. How code looks is often just a preference but I think it has a clean look to it, and is one of five languages I use commonly based on what it is I am doing.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up