GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:07:22 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ge_Rocket (WIP)  (Read 30441 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Ge_Rocket (WIP)
« on: December 08, 2009, 01:14:34 am »

I'm currently working on a map for Goldeneye: Source called ge_rocket. The map is actually a pseudo-remake of an old Medal of Honor multiplayer map which was a V2 Rocket facility which I wanted to remake. I'm not sticking faithfully to the original map design much at all, only the general layout with necessary refinements to fit Goldeneye gameplay suitably.

In this Goldeneye: Source rendition it will be a disused, late cold war Russian military missile base which has been adopted by Janus and is in the process of being renovated. Architecturally it will carry a similar feel and appearence to Control and some parts of Facility but will also incorporate a large snowy outdoor area along with other features such as fully operational elevators which will run between the surface and underground levels. If you don't feel like taking the elevator, perhaps a vibrantly lit cooling tower, ventilation shaft, or maintenance stairway may be to your liking.  ;)

Some early screenshots of near-complete areas:

:)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 01:26:51 am by Mangley »
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: Ge_Rocket (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:26:10 am »

You should turn up the lightmaps on some of those surfaces, they have the potential to cast some really cool shadows and lighting. Also, make sure not to forget to add some supports to those railings in the last picture.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:28:20 am »

Will do. ;) I've got a long way to go yet though, so I'm leaving those lightmaps until much later, it's not worth increasing the compile time just yet.

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:20:12 am »

Don't forget death zones at the bottom. Perhaps the missile is warming up.

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 10:51:04 pm »

Moar screenshots of other areas approaching a finished state.

As it stands the map is about 40% complete, when it's finished it will be large enough to hold 26 players... maybe even 32 at a squeeze.

There will be 2 or 3 working elevators (probably 2) which will behave quite realistically, with a set of outer and inner doors that only open simultaneously and when the elevator is on that floor. If the doors close when a player is inside the elevator it will automatically travel to the other floor. If you try to open the outer doors when the elevator is not on your floor it will call the elevator and the doors will only open once it arrives. Theoretically there will be no way to block or get on top or under the elevator.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 10:57:42 pm by Mangley »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:59:31 pm »

HAHA, and theoretically you can't fuck up the sequencing of the ge_complex bridge... theoretically.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 11:43:03 pm »

In the cave area images the concrete (metal?) wall textures need to be moved down a little, they're misaligned to the floor.

Loving how the shadows are turning out, but make sure not to overdo it as low lightmaps can kill your performance.

Also, Elevators=not good in Source, maybe the shafts and cars are accessible but static? There are just so many things that can go wrong with elevators, including all of the I/O stuff, then it likes to lag and glitch up when being used online.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 12:35:09 am »

The texture isn't really misaligned, I wanted to give the impression that the floor was under construction in that area, the completed area further back is what the walls are aligned to.

As for the elevator, I'm quietly confident.. I'm limiting the players interaction with it very strictly, they won't actually have any direct control over the elevator's movement or the doors, instead just two buttons which will operate calling the elevator and opening the doors, everything else will be automated triggers and timers. Though that's not to say it won't get borked to hell if everyone in the server tries to pile in one at the same time... we'll see.  :P

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 02:57:17 am »

lookin good.

EMH Mark I

• Earthworm Jimbo
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.EMH Mark I is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 04:12:51 am »

Ya, its a really nice map with lots of potential.  I liked it.  The elevator(s) are also really well done from that time we played on it Mangley, compared to the other custom maps with elevators I've come across.  You remember how shocked I was with the upward climb being "smooth as ice". 8)  Funny how source is all about physics, and yet when a player gets transported, things go to hell.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 05:50:15 am »

Funny how source is all about physics, and yet when a player gets transported, things go to hell.

It's also funny how the only thing the players are affected by physics wise is gravity and simple push/pull. All collisions are done on a bounding box fashion and movement is no exception to that rule. In fact, there is a place in the movement code that actually detects when you "may" be in an elevator or ladder situation and attempts to predict your movement so you don't jitter too much... it doesn't work.

Mangley

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 02:26:06 am »

Ventilation towers. Proof that choosing the right textures can make a big difference. The concrete texture I was using before made the geometry very obvious, you could see that the walls were only 16 faces and made it look very cold. In contrast this texture compliments the geometry and looks like insulated walls and gives a warmer look.

In the map the two ventilation towers serve as routes between floors and also offer a refreshing break in the gloomy concrete environment.

In its current state the map is around 60% complete with almost all of the indoor areas made, most of which is already fully optimised. Hopefully it'll be ready for playtesting within a few weeks so long as nothing goes awry.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 02:47:59 am »

very nice looking! Although the sides of the walls seem barren without any decals or wires or pipes or anything.

[GE:S Com] DF Ank1

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • [GE:S Com] DF Ank1 has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 06:38:41 pm »

Incredible. I am wondering how peoples could make such greats maps, really
Big Fan of the Arecibo Observatory / Antenna Cradle.
I would pay money to get the old cradle back. Ad me on Facebook. I am ever glad about new members. Specially when they come from GE:S. My name is Rudolf von Ank

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 08:46:04 pm »

Suggestion about the elevator: Make it super-slow to avoid glitching. Should fix the problem.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up