GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:03:29 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Textures Since Update  (Read 8079 times)

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • aaronmarsh632 has no influence.
Missing Textures Since Update
« on: August 04, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »

Hi,

I've been developing a map for a while now and I just updated to 4.2 GES which is kwl btw, but now when I open my map in hammer a bunch of the textures are missing - just showing as grey blocks. I was using textures from other levels like facility & bunker etc. I really dont want 2 have to re-texture all the missing 1's cos it will take dayssss. Please can any1 tel me a quick way to resolve the issue without having to re-texture? I guess the textures are in a different place or something and possibly hammer cant find them anymore but i'm desperate for an answer :)

thanks

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Missing Textures Since Update
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:34:05 pm »

There is a replace texture feature in hammer. Just replace all those textures with a new one. Unless there are dozens of missing textures.

All textures we removed were low quality hl2 type ones. Take a look at the new textures, might find some you like more.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 10:38:38 pm »

thanks for the quick reply. There are about half the map missing :/ I did use all 512x512 textures tho and they were mainly from the goldeneye/facility/texture etc but I guess ill have to replace them all if thats what it needs.

thanks for ur help

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 10:40:43 pm »

Oh, sorry for the double post. Is there a way to export all used textures into its own wad file for securing the textures from possible future updates?

thanks

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 10:45:13 pm »

You can pack the textures into the map. Will add a extra step, and create a pretty large map file.

Pakrat can do it, along with other tools.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:19:31 am »

thats kwl, yh the size will be a let down but its something ill consider. thanks for ur help

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 09:25:31 am »

What map are you making by the way?
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 10:27:15 am »

Hi, I'm working on a couple - the Dam, and a modern facility - not the same layout but still 'feels' like facility. Im concentrating more on that map rather than dam atm cos i think it would make for a better multiplayer map.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 10:35:23 am »

I'd love to see dam with alternate added routes, I believe that with a lot of work and imagination, It could be a great multiplayer map.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 12:17:13 pm »

That's really odd, yesterday i just recognized that my bunker map also has some missing textures and model errors in it. Seems i have to update the map.

But this is an inavoidable thing. During development there'll be old assets noone uses for the official maps anymore, so they're deleted because the installer should be as small as possible.

Third party maps using the content have to be updated.

I'd suggest to all the server owners to check the maps for errors previouse to hosting them on their servers and not host them if they are affected.

Otherwise the broken versions will spread to the community and the mapper has to rename the map in order to avoid "map differing" issues.

For all those maps that won't recive an update, it might be a good idea to have the original resources downloading seperatly from the server using .res files.

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »

I'll keep that in mind for my private server, ill check the maps etc & take any 'broken' 1s off temporarily.

Just an extension to my question, I realized some models like the bathroom sinks and (i guess) the reflective texture on the radiators etc have the pink checked 'non texture' pasted over them. Any Ideas how to change this?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:08:06 pm »

Screenshot please so that we know what models and textures you're talking about.

If i understood you right, this is related to missing textures.

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 10:21:07 pm »

Hi, sorry for the late reply, heres few screenshots of the models i've noticed.

thanks

marinedalek

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • marinedalek is working their way up.marinedalek is working their way up.marinedalek is working their way up.
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 10:28:54 pm »

That looks like the effect you'd get from missing cubemap textures. You'll probably need to rebuild them with (I believe) the buildcubemaps console command.

aaronmarsh632

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 08:26:00 am »

Hi, do you know how I'd do this please? I pasted these models from another map so I didn't do them myself originally - If im not mistaken the sinks and radiators are from hl? Would it be some kind of reflective material?

thanks
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up