GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:21:33 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 110424: On Her Majesty's Secret Service  (Read 28719 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: VC's Laboratory 110424: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »

Quote from: Sir Lombardi
I was with a +100% bonus damage
Good work!  Okay, you were probably playing against store mannequins, but still, I'm happy to see someone did reach the higher levels on the bonus scale.

Quote from: jjmn
"you already need a certain level of proficiency in order to reap success from the game."
Indeed.  That's what DM and LTK can give you.  My guiding influence with OHMSS is to visualize for players when they are and aren't shooting effectively.  It's really a leap from the lion's head to go from being told "aim for the head, control your fire" to actually knowing and integrating into your FPS brain how to implement that strategy and start maximizing your DPS.  I don't think any of our scenarios, least of all my own designs, are where FPS and GES first-timers should begin.  I find that to be an issue of our server/popularity situation, where there are only a few active servers and you're often caught between a rock and an LTK place, since a cycling server often doesn't spend much time on DM.

I don't want to think of my audience as slovenly and porcine, but I cannot help but notice trends toward rewarding player participation over player progression.  That shit-fight over body armor was drug into OHMSS without any consideration for why I added armor to the spec, and I would not be surprised if it was done simply to spite me.  gg.  Goldeneye 007 was always a game that was all about fucking over your friends, not making things fair.  Everyone had house rules of conduct just to make it tolerable because there were so many dick moves like armor/weapon camping, armor destruction, running the spawn patterns, knocking the controller away, pulling out a cord, punching someone in the kidney...

Plans:
* I may lower the damage requirement on Klobb and Throwing Knife because they're fucking annoying.
* Something else but I forgot what it was and I've got to go to work now so bye~bye~ ^_^/`
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2011, 12:05:35 am »

Honestly, most of the time we played GE64 on console it was on LTK because armor camping completely ruined deathmatch.

Thanks to the efforts of a few amazing GE64 modders, we have the option to turn armor off when playing on emulator, and i can say that deathmatch sees a lot more activity without it.  LTK more or less defined GE64 multiplayer, but half of the reason for that is deathmatch being impossible to play due to body armor.

The thing that sets armor in GE64 apart from Quake and other games all about controlling resources is that body armor is the only health related pickup in the game.  On top of that, the invulnerability period and radar ensure that the armored player cannot get ambushed or otherwise killed quickly, making it much easier for them to stay alive than in other games.  The game isn't designed to be fair, but certainly we want to avoid something so blatantly exploitable that it stagnates the match and almost always allows the camper to top the scoreboard, if only because they can stay alive and well equipped longer than anyone else.  People banned this back in the day because no-one wants to play with an armor camper.

And yes, trying to make your gamemode playable instead of dismissing it outright was definitely done to spite you.  I can't see how you would come up with that, but most of us have better things to be doing.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:08:13 am by Entropy-Soldier »
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

Gabbo

• Cate Archer's secret lover
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 24
  • Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...Gabbo might someday be someone...
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2011, 12:22:06 am »

Honestly, most of the time we played GE64 on console it was on LTK because armor camping completely ruined deathmatch.
We had very different GE64 experiences, you and I.

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2011, 01:44:48 am »

As VC Said, We all had our house rules. One being not camping the armor, Or not picking it up at all.
I guess you had unfair friends to play with, E-S.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 02:26:35 am »

It's just generally better not to have the option there in the first place.  It's hard to define camping and even unintentional armor pickups did happen occasionally.  It was just easier to avoid it altogether, rather than argue about every instance of armor pickup or go around destroying every vest before a match.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »

This thread has become STOP PLAYING THE WAY I DON'T LIKE TO PLAY.

I'll open it again when 4.2 progress leads to developments related to OHMSS.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:34:15 pm by VC »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up