GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 08:03:35 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AFL grand final 2011 - Geelong vs. Collingwood  (Read 5610 times)

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
AFL grand final 2011 - Geelong vs. Collingwood
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:11:33 am »

Don't know what AFL is? Learn about it from my new post below on the rules and some past videos, seen on youtube. Aussie Rules Football FTW

What is AFL football?

=========================

This will deal with the other day. 2011 AFL grand final.

Geelong (premiers '07, '09)
Collingwood (premiers '10)

This year saw the two highest winning sides in the regular season go through undefeated in the finals to come up against each other on the first Saturday in October. Geelong, in their 5th Grand Final in 5 years, and Collingwood - looking to go back to back and keep the Premiership cup.

Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 1 Grand final

Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 2 Grand final

Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 3 Grand final

Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 4 Grand final
Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 5 Grand final
Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 6 Grand final
Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 7 Grand final
Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 8 Grand final
Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 9 Grand final
Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 10 Grand final
Geelong vs Collingwood - PArt 11 Grand final

Watching these will set you back 3 quality hours of viewing. =) Enjoy! For 3 quarters it was a really amazing game on a really high stakes day. Quarter 4 was good for only about 10 minutes. But seeing the best team win is valid if not overly tense viewing.

Names to listen out for
Jimmy Bartel (all game)
TravisCloke (first half)
Tom Hawkins (second half)
Scott Pendlebury (posessions all game)
Stevey Johnson (epic, carrying injury)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:32:25 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
Re: AFL grand final 2011 - Geelong vs. Collingwood
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 01:12:15 am »

Each premiership season sees weekend played rounds of 8 matches where two teams of 22 players field an oval shaped field measuring 180 metres, with two sets of 4 posts at each end. The two taller posts in the middle represent the master goal of the game, in fact they are called "goals". Some key terms and their explanation :

Goals = when you KICK the ball between the centre posts either on the full or bouncing through (without being touched)
Behind = the ball going through either the 2 spaces each side of the central posts. OR the ball being touched by any player and entering between any of the posts.
Mark = A player grabbing a cleanly kicked ball from  mid air without it having being touch, and holding it. This represents a stoppage by default where the player can opt to go back from the mark position and kick forward to teammates.
Handball = using hands to hit the ball to a teammate running by, or to avoid being wrapped up a pending tackle. Also key in keeping posession without risk by foot.
Tackle = in AFL grabbing an opponent above the knee and shoulders or below by using a bearhug like action either on the run or not. (if you tackle a player bouncing the ball you are awarded a "free kick" as the tackler)
Bounce = a running player must bounce the ball every 15-20 metres or a free kick to the opponents is rewarded. Players not really moving need not bounce periodically (bounce rule isnt a time thing)
Free kick = a penalty bonus for the opposite team of a player deemed to be infringing on any number of rules against the team recieving the kick. A free kick works the same way as a mark, a stoppage by default but the player awarded can "play on" by hand or foot before the umpire has finalised the mark position
Hit the post = hitting either of the central goal posts is a "point" no exceptions, you cannot bounce a goal in by hitting the inner sides of the goal posts.

1 Goal = gets you SIX points
1 Behind = gets you ONE point.
Kicking it over the boundary on the full = gets you nothing lol, its a free kick to the other team.

Another key thing to note, players match up man on man by default (though tactical deviations to this exist) and there is NO such rule as offside etc like in soccer.

==========================

Almost 100,000 spectators were there (99,500ish) at this years 2011 Grand Final, and this national sports best day for being seen around the globe on various cable sport channels. I would like to personally say that, I never want to see the game become internationally competed on a A-level. That would make it supremely less unique than it is now. So I don't show this to try say it should be a world sport, or even heavily regarded :P

But the facts of it's member base for teams, game attendance and TV audience doesn't lie. It is the sport most popularly watched in Australia. Some people on youtube channels try to propagate the idea AFL is equal to soccer or rugby in this country. Those people are just jealous and ignorant of facts. AFL players get paid far more and the game generates the most sponsors/money.

==========================

OTHER CLOSE GRAND FINAL MOMENTS

EXTRAS
- goals of 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ0W9SbBHqo&feature=related - high fly marks of 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wds8DWvJ98&feature=channel - big hits
AFaiL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvKi7fiacJA&feature=related

IMPROBABLE GOALS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8llcP6tZoiw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxRWyjBLZvY&feature=related
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:18:14 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:12:17 am »

I am really appreciative when it comes to sports. So hearing about two undefeated teams work through the playoffs to meet in the finals, is pretty cool!

I dont understand how AFL works. Its not shown in America probably as you know (or you wouldnt have explained it :P ) I will read up and watch the final game tmrw

GO PATRIOTS! (New england; NFL)

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:45:20 am »

I like watching things like this. It's nice to get out of the ridiculously closed bubble of American sports where nothing outside Football (American egghand), Baseball, and (in some regions) hockey exist.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW
Pages: [1]   Go Up