GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:31:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Hit Detection  (Read 5693 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
Re: Weird Hit Detection
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 02:36:49 pm »

I decided to post this here as well because it's a good lesson to those thinking there's something wrong with the hit detection. This is a video of me experimenting with the Player Impact sound, I decided to put a hurt sound to replace it, everytime a bullet hits the enemy, they make a hurt sound, but watch closely how many shots I fire compared with the amount that actually hit and you'll discover that the hit detection works perfect, missing is solely to do with my aim, weapon spread and Invulnerability Period:-

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 10:07:35 pm »

In addition, I believe that the invulnerability period should be slightly reduced for players with fully auto guns as well, but not eliminated.

It has already been reduced in 4.2 and I believe gameplay has suffered greatly. You had a better chance with a pistol vs an automatic previously.

And you can't "find" the highest powered weapons anymore, you get them by being lucky and spawning near them.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 02:37:57 am »

It's an interesting idea.

However: The thing is the invulnerability period is pretty much as short as it could be whilst still being noticable... Making it shorter for certain weapons would either make almost no noticable difference or too much difference to the point where it completely turns the tables on weapon power.

It's perfectly legitimate to have unbalanced odds in a game. In fact, it's great to have that. If you balance everything too much the skill ceiling of the game is lower. The whole point in powerful weapons is so you can play aggressively and offensively and dominate more of the map. If you make it so any player can just double tap the mouse button to take you out in an instant then that really goes out of the window and then the game becomes more about jumping about like a dipshit because avoiding damage becomes more important than dealing it.

namajnaG hit the nail on the head with what he said.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 09:37:09 am »

Of course you can find where the weapons are. After playing for a while, you know where the highest level weapon is in the map. Press C and you can see a list of all the available weapons. This is never a problem with standard weaponsets, but if servers are not setting up weaponsets properly, it is still able to be figured out from looking at this list.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

RobbeR49

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • RobbeR49 has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 06:52:33 pm »

I know where all the best weapons are, that's not the problem.

What I am saying is with the spawning and less amount of time you are able to stay alive now, traversing the map to get to the best weapons is much more difficult.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up