GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 04:28:52 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hit registration of arms and hands  (Read 5915 times)

Koba

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Koba has no influence.
Hit registration of arms and hands
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:17:10 pm »

You can't shoot people in their arms and hands. The shot goes right through as if they're not even there.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: Hit registration of arms and hands
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:39:35 pm »

I've noticed this a little too, I think it's the hitboxes not matching up with the animations...
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:00:25 pm »

I've noticed this a little too, I think it's the hitboxes not matching up with the animations...

Hog wash. Hitboxes are attached to bones. When the bones move, the hitboxes move with them. 1 to 1. It's prolly just a stupid thing like the weapon's hit box is covering the hand's hitbox and it is absorbing the shot and telling the bullet to keep on going.

Try shooting the non-weaponed hand and see what happens.

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 11:25:18 am »

Okay, I have run more tests. This time with Kraid.

Here's me shooting through the 1st and 2nd hitboxes.

After that I went around so you could see where the bullets went:

We found out that hits are only registered when shooting the elbow and up (3rd box).

Then we tried guns that you hold with two hands.

When holding the rocket launcher, shots to the left arm's two first boxes will go right through.
The right hand will register shots but it was still possible to shoot through it from some angles.

The Grenade Launcher registers hits better than but the left hand has some issues.

Regular grenades also suffer from the hand/forearm issue.
The only weapons that work perfectly are: Slappers, Knives and Mines.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 09:39:07 pm »

My initial debugging estimate is that the hitboxes are leaving the BOUNDING BOX of the player (which is a static box 24x24x72) and thus the shot fails to register that it hit the player. Only after the shot registers that it hits the player does it do the further check to see which hit box was hit.

Not really sure how to fix this as increasing the size of the bounding box plays havoc with movement.... prolly can't be fixed tbh.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:37:45 am »

I wouldn't see this to negative, i mean why the hell would someone want to shot at arms and hands if he can hit a head or chest too?

It even makes it easier for you to deal demage to the enemy because the chance of hitting a low demage hitzone like the arms or hands are reduced.

And since this little thing will apply to every player i don't see a disadvantage for someone.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:01:17 am »

I wouldn't see this to negative, i mean why the hell would someone want to shot at arms and hands if he can hit a head or chest too?

It even makes it easier for you to deal demage to the enemy because the chance of hitting a low demage hitzone like the arms or hands are reduced.

And since this little thing will apply to every player i don't see a disadvantage for someone.

Agree completely, if your spamming a weapon, and hit the hand and lower arm multiple times. Then its going to hurt you more then you just not hitting them at all. Since it could easily cancel out a Body/Head shot.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:25:51 am »

But that's like suggesting we should remove the hit box for the legs or even body because the important shots are to the head :/

You get what you get when you spam.

Koba

• Agent
  • Koba has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 10:02:51 am »

Yes Kraid, most people aim for the head and upper body. That's why I think this went unnoticed. But still, what about shooting halfway across the map in runway or cradle? You can't really aim in those situations.

If you hit a body part it should deal damage, anything else would be crazy. This is especially important during MWGG and LTK, where it doesn't matter where you aim.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 03:45:12 pm »

I'll look into it, but this might be a source engine limitation in the way traces are done. Will report back this weekend

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 06:44:41 am »

Thanks KM for looking into it, I feel the same way as Ferg and Koba on this one

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 06:40:10 am »

I'll look into it, but this might be a source engine limitation in the way traces are done. Will report back this weekend

Can you make a box around the groin area? I want to shoot there and make him die of groin pain :)

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 07:30:57 pm »

Can you make a box around the groin area? I want to shoot there and make him die of groin pain :)
;D

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 02:02:30 pm »

It's about time someone paid attention to this.  I was raging about it back when Runway and Hats were first being tested and no one gave a shit because it's just VC ranting about stupid shit again.  Now, suddenly all this genius thought about bounding boxes being involved.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 04:02:19 pm »

Yeah...I hope this gets resolved since this will help change the game up for the better. :) Especially for sniping.

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 04:20:36 pm »

It's about time someone paid attention to this.  I was raging about it back when Runway and Hats were first being tested and no one gave a shit because it's just VC ranting about stupid shit again.  Now, suddenly all this genius thought about bounding boxes being involved.

Where in the hell have you been???

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

CCsaint10

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 01:09:54 am »

so km, any news on this?

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 12:54:18 am »

Where in the hell have you been???

he has been smoking pot and got high as well.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 12:58:49 am »

so km, any news on this?

Not yet I am uber busy sorry

CCsaint10

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 06:19:39 am »

That is fine. I understand. As long as it gets checked up on eventually, I will be happy.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up