GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 12:16:53 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The world is a dangerous place......  (Read 7794 times)

engineer

• Retired Developer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • engineer has no influence.
The world is a dangerous place......
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:55:09 am »

This happened when I detonated a Remote Mine under one of those generators in Caves. It tossed it at this poor sap and killed him instantly.

Has anyone else had that happen before?

[EDIT: If you think this is fake, then here's the uncropped screenshot: http://georgheissmann.googlepages.com/ge_caves0000.jpg]
Quote from: basstronix
If sounds had taste, those explosions would taste like bacon.  I love it.

Ryan [Saiz]

• Retired Developer
  • Ryan [Saiz] is looked down upon.
    • My Site
Re: The world is a dangerous place......
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:58:17 am »

Ya I killed someone by shooting the generator and I took a picture of it too.

Quote from: Loafie, Hero of Dreams
He's kind of like a tornado. He's not around all the time, but when he is, shit gets moved hahaha

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 09:58:27 am »

It's not fake, it's just the engines way of saying, well I don't know how this person died, so lets just say the "world" as in the game environment. It'd be too much of a hassle to code in every object that could kill someone, so that it would properly identify objects in the death messages. So we leave it as that.

We might change it to say Killed with Object though, or 'World Object'.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:06:37 am by Sean [Baron] »
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 10:21:40 am »

That's a funny one, but is still better that saying you were killed by world_prop_explosive or something like this, like it said in BETA 1.1 when you were killed by an explosive barrel.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:41:53 am »

Hopefully you guys will do a better job of coding it than Valve has done, they have it slightly wrong for HL2DM.

Is it possible to kill players or at least do damage with mines not by exploding but merely them hitting the player?
I know in HL2DM grenades have a mass and do 1HP damage, you can kill players with buddha enabled using it :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:47:14 am by keefy »

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 10:50:09 am »

I'm fine with 'World.'

I've never been hurt by a normal physics object (throwing knife obviously excepted) but I have gotten stuck to grenades and mines, making escaping the blast radius rather difficult.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

ChronoSKitz

• A portal
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ChronoSKitz has no influence.
    • Chronetic
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:09:04 am »

This isn't to uncommon. Halo 3 does the same thing with "the guardians". Happens mostly when your struck by a physics object and you haven't been shot by the enemy team.

I was in that Pic too.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 02:54:25 am »

I remember back in the day of Beta 1, if you got killed by an exploding prop such as the caves generators or the exploding barrels in Facility backzone, the death counter would display a message like "The SSL killed GEPlayer with prop_physics_respawnable".

Wouldn't it be possible to do this again in Beta 3.x by instead of using the entity class name, but using the entity's specified name (I'm referring to the names given to entities in Hammer for I/O and parenting) so that it could say "The SSL killed GEPlayer with exploding barrel" or something like that.

The only problem I could see with this is that it would be a bit tedious to name every single exploding prop in the map.

Just a suggestion.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Sole Signal [Audix]

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.Sole Signal [Audix] is working their way up.
    • Sole Signal music
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:14:18 am »

Speaking of screenshots...Here's what happened when Wake broke our server. ;) I took some really trippy video too; trying to decide the best way to compile it.

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 03:21:17 am »

Reminds me of the Pen and Ink cheat in the original Goldeneye but with a bit more broken in it.

What did you guys do?

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:24:31 am »

World is much better than "prop_explosive" BLAH BLAH

We are not changing it from world. World looks clean. End of story pretty much guys. Final thoughts and im locking it

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 03:33:51 am »

^^^
Agreed, although The World is not enough for some people.
 ::)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:35:40 am by keefy »

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 03:43:58 am »

^^^
Agreed, although The World is not enough for some people.
 ::)

Argg, I lol'd.

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 03:52:17 am »

Ya I killed someone by shooting the generator and I took a picture of it too.

roflmao

I mean think about, if you throw a REAL grenade up in the air and it comes down close to someone and shoot it, LOL that person is gonna get f.....ed.

This makes the game more better.

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 04:09:57 am »

We should call it "something weird" instead of world.  World is already funny, but indicates we might have messed something up.

"Baron was killed by something weird". win.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up