GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:10:15 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porting Half-Life 2 custom maps to GE:S? (for personal use)  (Read 7648 times)

Myst

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Myst has no influence.
Porting Half-Life 2 custom maps to GE:S? (for personal use)
« on: September 17, 2012, 08:37:22 am »

Hey everyone,

my friends, family, and I have been playing GoldenEye: Source for quite a while now. The moment I found out about it, it quickly became our favorite source game, and with that our favorite FPS deathmatch game. ;D

Sadly, after playing it for some time now (and playing N64 GoldenEye & Perfect Dark when we were younger), the levels have become too repetitive and a quite boring... except the facility, which will always be my favorite ;)

Anyways, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch has a LOT of really cool custom maps, and my question is, can I port custom maps from Half-Life 2 Deathmatch to GoldenEye: Source? It's of course for my own personal use with me and my friends, I have no interest in redistributing them or anything like that.

I've done a lot of modding before, unfortunately not with any source game, but I know generally how things work, I know I'll have to get Hammer, and set spawn points, gun/ammo/armor spawns, and probably add models/textures from Half-Life 2 into the GoldenEye folders... (If it makes it easier, then perhaps I could use Counterstrike: Source custom maps instead of Half-Life 2 custom maps, if it is in a better format. I own both games so either is fine.)

So to sum it up, my question is, is this possible without getting into a huge project? And if so, then can someone point me in the right direction to get started?

Any help would be much appreciated! :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:55:06 am by Myst »

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
Re: Porting Half-Life 2 custom maps to GE:S? (for personal use)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:10:35 am »

Greetings Myst, First of all, Welcome to the forums!

The first directive you should take is learn to decompile the maps you want to use, Your best bet is to use VMex, Google it, You shouldn't have too much of a hard time to find it. What decompiling does is that the program (VMex in that case, I use a different decompiler but it's still in beta status for decompiling Source maps, Else I would have sent it to you.) will take any BSP you give to it and convert it back into a VMF file, Which is a map file to be opened within Hammer.

Every Source and GoldSrc map format is the same, So either you wish to get CS:S or HL2DM custom maps, Both will most likely work.

Of course, Decompiling sometimes leads to errors, Such as missing textures, Solids or corrupted entities like lighting, And will not always give you an 100% accurate build, So I suggest you familiarize yourself with Hammer first to know how to replace textures and create basic brushes and lights, And don't bother getting textures/materials from HL2DM/CS:S since GE:S has some of the finest textures and props you can get around, And you are bound to find something to your likings! Just use the FGD file providen within the 'gesource' files and you'll have every prop and texture from GE:S ready to use in your maps.

Hope that helped!

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
Re: Porting Half-Life 2 custom maps to GE:S? (for personal use)
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:10:15 am »

The main issue I see with this is scaling and map flow.  dm_overwatch doesn't play like a GoldenEye map.
Pages: [1]   Go Up