GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 06:01:25 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Check which weapon we are wielding?  (Read 16858 times)

Zeno

• Deadly Agent
  • Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Zeno has no influence.
    • Gurren Lagann
Check which weapon we are wielding?
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:10:27 pm »

Am I missing something or is there no way to check what weapon you're wielding?

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Check which weapon we are wielding?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 06:08:13 pm »

Well, you can look at the weapon you are holding; if you don't know the name of the weapon you're holding, the best you can do is spend some time in the wiki.

There can be some confusion when it comes to the mines, but they are color-coded so it won't be that hard to distinguish between them.

I also think that when you pick up a weapon, it's name appears on screen, so it's just a matter of memorizing.

Zeno

• Deadly Agent
  • Agent
  • Zeno has no influence.
    • Gurren Lagann
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 06:27:30 pm »

Yeah, I knew all that but it's not enough.

I can usually tell what weapon it is by looking at it, but when I enter a near pitch-black room then I have no idea. Hell, The Golden PP7 can be hard to tell it's golden with dynamic lighting. The mines I have issues with too.

It shouldn't be a matter of memorizing either. This is a fast paced FPS, not a puzzle game. There shouldn't be a problem distinguishing between weapons. I don't have this problem in other FPS games.

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 06:30:34 pm »

I can usually tell what weapon it is by looking at it, but when I enter a near pitch-black room then I have no idea.

See which weapon it is before entering the pitch dark room mate. It's the only way.

Zeno

• Deadly Agent
  • Agent
  • Zeno has no influence.
    • Gurren Lagann
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 06:36:31 pm »

And if the situation changes in a dark room and I need to change my weapon to something else I have... I'm screwed?

I mean yeah, if I enter a dark room with a machine gun and run into someone in close quarters... I can change to the shotgun and know what it is. But this isn't true for all weapons.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 06:44:42 pm »

There shouldn't be a problem distinguishing between weapons. I don't have this problem in other FPS games.

Well this is goldeneye recreation not other FPS, its all part of the process of getting better at a fun/rewarding strategic FPS. The ability to recall guns by looking at them is only going to make you feel a reward. Give it time and you will see this "frustration" type feeling start to fade.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:48:47 pm »

Well mate, I can't help you more than this. walk around with the most powerful weapons you have out and use the number keys to fast-switch weapon. The correspondent weapon classes are on the options menu.

Not much can be done to alleviate your "problem". You can always try to crank up your screens brightness to get a better view of pitch dark areas (not may in the game btw), which would look bad, because you would also get some extremely lit areas on the other hand.
Another way is to use the flashlight, which is F by default. It will give you away if the radar hasn't already, but you will be able to see your weapon.

Zeno

• Deadly Agent
  • Agent
  • Zeno has no influence.
    • Gurren Lagann
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:57:44 pm »

Well this is goldeneye recreation not other FPS, its all part of the process of getting better at a fun/rewarding strategic FPS. The ability to recall guns by looking at them is only going to make you feel a reward. Give it time and you will see this "frustration" type feeling start to fade.

And Goldeneye is an FPS. That was my point. I spent 6 hours last night playing with 3 friends in the same room, and my friend made this comment first before me. It's not just me.

As for the flashlight, I would have this on all the time in dark rooms if I actually ever found a server with this option enabled.

Well this is goldeneye recreation
Another way is to use the flashlight
Although that feels like a contradiction. If Wake meant this is an exact recreation, recommending to use the Flashlight shouldn't happen. If it's not an exact recreation, then I don't see why there isn't a label saying which weapon you have equipped.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 07:00:53 pm by Zeno »

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 07:07:26 pm »

When did i say anything about a flashlight? You took that comparison from two different people lol

Personally i only use a flashlight for fun because I can recall all the guns. Once again ill state it, you and your friends have been playing for 2 days and so there is no reward feeling yet. The memorizing of which gun model is which and where weapons place on the ground will make you better.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 07:10:40 pm »

Probably because it clutters up the screen?
I do see your point about the PP7's they do look alike in certain light conditions I too have struggled to know wif its gold or silver.

Meliadoul2k

• Pretty Gangsta Myself
  • Secret Agent
  • Meliadoul2k has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 08:17:50 pm »

Turn off quick switch. It's annoying. Plus, you'll always be able to tell what weapons you're holding.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 08:31:30 pm »

Turn off quick switch. It's annoying. Plus, you'll always be able to tell what weapons you're holding.
Nope, I find it annoying to not use quick switch.

Do the weapons have individual names so we can bind them to keys? Yes I know there is probably too many to bind them all.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 08:33:45 pm by keefy »

Zeno

• Deadly Agent
  • Agent
  • Zeno has no influence.
    • Gurren Lagann
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:59:27 pm »

Nope, I find it annoying to not use quick switch.

I agree. It's inefficient to play without quick switch.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 10:32:57 pm »

the only way currently is to turn off fast switch, or to just memorize the gun your holding.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 10:37:59 pm »

haha, this thread is funny, seriously man this is a moot point.... How redundant could it possibly be to put an HUD label of what gun you are holding. That's like putting a condom over a latex suit. We are serious when we say memorize the guns, know what you are doing. This mod is not meant to be played as a run and gun shooter, neither was GE64, YOU have to put in the effort to become skilled, the game will not apply skill for you.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up