GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 06:33:25 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Less-Than-Shite Performance  (Read 28969 times)

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
Re: Less-Than-Shite Performance
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2011, 06:45:39 pm »

I use Acronis, but the problem is its not free.
I was looking at that one last night and gave the trial a shot, but cloning is not available in the trial. >_>
Still on the table, though.

~Edit: Readied a Clonezilla USB stick as suggested by my IT prof and will clone tomorrow, for science.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:17:02 am by Rodney 1.666 »
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2011, 09:58:08 am »

Again it's just easier to post here rather than create an entire thread for it.

I have a festering troll of a problem that just refuses to leave me alone, and it's blasted bloody speaker noise. I used to have just bare-bones stereo speakers. I then upgraded to 2.1 near the beginning of the year, and for whatever reason that escapes me, the speakers emit a constant fuzzing sound. After trying different cables and different devices and finally just plugging everything into the wall sans inputs I concluded that as long as the speakers have power, they emit that fuzzing noise; and it's not like a quiet subtle sound either; if you stop and listen you can hear it across the room.

So being fed up with those I upgraded again to 5.1 today with these guys (Logitech Z506).
And guess what. Same shit just not as bad, and sounds like a hard drive that's working in the background. I went through the same diagnostics as last time and conclude that as long as they're receiving power, they do this, and all five of them do it (center channel is the worst, followed by the FL & FR, then the RL & RR). Actually if the center is connected its noise is even worse than the last set.
If it means anything I'll also point out that with the previous 2.1 set, the higher the volume on the physical dial the louder the noise. With this 5.1 set it's constant regardless of volume.
I suspected that it may be line noise as I just have the sub plugged into a 6-tap with four other things plugged into it (if that's at all how that works), so I relocated to a power bar and then an extension cord and... same thing.
Important note, for whatever reason, one particular time I reseated the VGA-esc cable that connects the main (has the vol-knob) front-right to the sub, the hard-disk-noise just quit. All was well for a few hours and now it's doing it again. >< Thus I don't have a stance on connection integrity.

So do I just have horribly shit luck with audio or is there anything at all I can do?

tl;dr version:
Two sets of speakers that emit fuzzing noises as long as power is applied. Really, really shitty coincidence or something I'm missing?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:20:21 am by Rodney 1.666 »
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2011, 10:32:37 am »

I have the same speakers and mine do the same.

I even have a good Asus Soundcard. Computer can be off, and still will get static. I really think its the quality of the wire they use, but who knows.

I use to get bad interference with my PS3 plugged in, then upgraded the cable and no more static via PS3.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2011, 04:25:30 pm »

I have z506's as well. It's just what you get for paying $100 for 5 speakers and a subwoofer; the quality is crap. If it really bothers you, call Logitech support and ask them if they can send you new ones. My first set conked out after 2 months (center speaker died), and they set me a new set at no charge.

I don't really rely on my z506's for accurate playback due to the difficulty in getting the audio to balance correctly, I mostly only use them for gaming, watching movies, and listening to music. Whenever I do audio/music production or video editing, I switch to my 10-year old 2.1 Altec speakers which have fantastic quality but are missing that awesome immersive feel you get from surround sound.

Unless you pay like $500 a speaker you're always going to have that hissing sound.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #109 on: December 21, 2011, 07:04:30 pm »

Well, not necessarily.  There are a number of factors that can influence speaker sound.  Wiring can be an issue, but different problems cause different sounds.  For example, if your jack isn't making a proper connection with the input, then you're going to have a different sound than if you had a tear in the diaphragm of your speaker cone.

I would recommend taking your exact speaker configuration and then trying them hooked up into someone else' system.  If you have the same problem, then you know it is inherent in the speakers.  If not or you get a different problem, then it either points to your computer or a problem with the speakers.

Since you have the same problem with two different sets of speakers, I am wondering if it is something specific to your computer / tech setup.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #110 on: December 21, 2011, 08:58:55 pm »

Well at least it's good to know that it's not a freak coincidence case.

I switch to my 10-year old 2.1 Altec speakers
My previous set was in fact the Altec Lansing VS4121
So you're saying there's no point in exchanging these for another of the same set?
If it was just the center I'd feel better about calling Logitech but the fronts are just as unbearable. I have to shut the speakers off if I'm not playing anything; it really does sound like a gadamn hard drive that's working away.

I would recommend taking your exact speaker configuration and then trying them hooked up into someone else' system.
Wouldn't plugging the sub into different outlets in the room and always excluding the inputs (connection to the computer) result in the same thing?

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #111 on: December 22, 2011, 01:24:55 am »

Wouldn't plugging the sub into different outlets in the room and always excluding the inputs (connection to the computer) result in the same thing?

Sort of, but what would you be plugging them into to create sound coming out of them if you are excluding all of the inputs?

If they are making noise without any input signal, then I would say there is something bum with the speakers.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #112 on: December 22, 2011, 01:47:04 am »

as long as they're receiving power, they do this, and all five of them do it (center channel is the worst, followed by the FL & FR, then the RL & RR). Actually if the center is connected its noise is even worse than the last set.

I'd say so too.
Conflicting info. I mean, I trust Major and SSL saying that theirs do the same thing which doesn't bode well for exchanging these for another of the same set, but I find it bizarre that the reviews I've read on the Z506's completely fail to even mention noise.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #113 on: December 22, 2011, 03:06:12 am »

If it sounds as loud as a hard drive they're most likely broken and you should look into getting them replaced. The only hissing I can hear from mine can only be heard when you put your ear right next to them while they're on.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:10:31 am by Jonathon [SSL] »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2011, 05:56:40 am »

Not as loud as a hard drive but has the sound of one. I can hear it two meters away though and that's what matters.
To guarantee success I might just swap 'em out with these or even these, or just get the same set; not sure yet (but I'll need to figure it out tomorrow as I'm leaving for a week on Friday).

~Edit: Actually I think I'm just going to return these and hold off, not necessarily because of the impending Xmas (because things that have personal preferences attached to them like speakers make terrible gifts) but because I don't feel like throwing buckets of money around just yet. An opportunity might be coming up in the near future.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:43:10 am by Rodney 1.666 »

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2012, 06:31:09 am »

So I'm still in the market for speakers and I've been looking at these.

Any thoughts? Too excessive for non-aduiophiles? Pricey just because they have the Logitech logo on them?
Sale on those ends after tomorrow.

Proxie

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 141
  • Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!Proxie is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2012, 10:03:16 am »

Well you have many great options for 2.0 setups but I'm currently unaware of any out of the box 5.1 systems that will give better performance for less than or equal to $379.  You would get awesome sound quality if you put that money into headphones and maybe a nice sound card.

(I know we went over this)

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2012, 07:18:07 pm »

To be honest, either route is good. If you want to go for the sound card and headphones, you have lots of good options. If you want to go towards the 5.1, it will be nice as well. It truly is up to the person in what they like. Personally, I like both and don't really have a preference. Completely up to you macc.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2012, 07:43:31 pm »

So I'm still in the market for speakers and I've been looking at these.

Any thoughts? Too excessive for non-aduiophiles? Pricey just because they have the Logitech logo on them?
Sale on those ends after tomorrow.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121050

cheaper

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
    • Steam profile
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2012, 08:16:40 pm »

If you want to go towards the 5.1, it will be nice as well. It truly is up to the person in what they like. Personally, I like both and don't really have a preference.

"Headphones to speakers" wasn't the question, and I have no interest in headphones whatsoever.
Very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121050

cheaper

Because I will inevitably have to return them after I plug them in and discover a horrible screeching sound, it has to be a place that I can walk in and out of.

The more I think about it, the less I see a need for 5.1 in the first place, but I figure that if I'm going to upgrade I may as well upgrade and go surround, but apparently the market has shifted toward premo-2.1 and cheapass-5.1... >_>
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up