GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:28:47 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to create a texture with snow particles on it?!  (Read 15611 times)

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
How to create a texture with snow particles on it?!
« on: April 08, 2015, 10:27:07 pm »

I have been search all over on how to do this but with no luck. I used Photoshop but it was not was i needed nor does it look realistic...especially when your textures will be seen up close. Does anyone know of a good program to use for doing this kind of thing? I want it to appear like the snow it sticking to the texture. If someone could point me in the right direction i would be much appreciative.
Troy, get back on that treadmill

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
Re: How to create a texture with snow particles on it?!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:58:38 pm »

Some good advice I could give to you would be to get a hold of ccsaint's Surface map, decompile it, and learn/implement how the snow was added onto that map. Though decompiling a map is not necessarily respected in the mapping community, not to sound hypocritical because I did it to learn, but that is a good source of understanding how others did it to learn.

Best,
Tri

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 12:28:48 am »

Make a sand texture and then turn it white.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 03:00:51 am »

I don't exactly understand what effect you're trying to achive. (example?)

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
  • RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.RogerMooreSucks is looked down upon.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 01:36:28 pm »

I don't exactly understand what effect you're trying to achive. (example?)

Here is an example of what i am trying to do http://imgur.com/npsXklN.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:01:35 pm »

Here's a quick photoshop example with a brick texture i had laying arround from another project.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/m5a9e357hc7kei6/snowy_brickwall.psd

I took the green channel of the normalmap as a base for the snow, inverted it so the white faces upwards.
Now i used filters (e.g. brightness/contrast, Gradient,...) to tighten up the highlights till the white is only left
on the parts i want them on and the rest is black.

Then i used this as a mask for the snow texture and applied a layer effect to give it more depth.

The snow fx on the bottom was created by blending a difference cloud filter with a gradient.

The rest is just a matter of using suitable blend modes for the layers.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 01:01:30 am »

Here's a quick photoshop example with a brick texture i had laying arround from another project.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/m5a9e357hc7kei6/snowy_brickwall.psd

I took the green channel of the normalmap as a base for the snow, inverted it so the white faces upwards.
Now i used filters (e.g. brightness/contrast, Gradient,...) to tighten up the highlights till the white is only left
on the parts i want them on and the rest is black.

Then i used this as a mask for the snow texture and applied a layer effect to give it more depth.

The snow fx on the bottom was created by blending a difference cloud filter with a gradient.

The rest is just a matter of using suitable blend modes for the layers.

Assuming you know your way around Photoshop/ your image utility of choice, this is hella great advice.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 09:30:41 am »

If you don't, it's time for some basic training.

RogerMooreSucks

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »

If you don't, it's time for some basic training.

I already achieved my 00 status in photoshop :D. BTW i figured out an easier way of doing the snow. Thanks anyways.
Pages: [1]   Go Up