Global Communications > killermonkey's Blog

Canvasing Open Source Game Engines

(1/4) > >>

killermonkey:
So I have been on the hunt for a new game engine. I am absolutely fed up with the Source engine. Valve has all but abandoned the SDK, there are tons of undocumented features, and the back-end (actual engine code) is NEVER updated.

Not to mention the fact that we can't make any money using the SDK, ever, and we are shackled to it's ridiculous content pipeline (getting models and textures ingame).

So I did a quick canvasing of the available Open Source game engines out there, focusing in on ones with non-restrictive licenses and ones that are not just 3D engines (ie no sound, etc.)

Here is what I came up with:

1. Panda3D

Ups: Fully featured game engine, even has AI. BSD license means you can use it commercially. Active community. Python AND C++ interfaces.

Downs: No development tools, relies heavily on Blender (but has Max/Maya exporting). No level designer. Networking code is very low level. GUI coding looks painful.

2. Cafu 3D

Ups: Fully featured gaming engine, specifically for FPS and networking. Active community.

Downs: GPLv3 license, looks outdated from the demos.

3. Crystal Space 3D

Ups: This is the first 3D engine I used back in High School! Pretty neat framework, easy to program.

Downs: WAYYYY outdated, community is flaky, no networking capability built-in, no dev tools.

4. CUBE Engine

Ups: Looks modern and sophisticated. Has a game built on top of the engine already, all open source. Supports FPS! In-game level editing, even COOP level editing!! ZLIB License

Downs: Looks like mincraft, smells like mincraft....

More to come!

Read my other blog post

Emilia:
Are you wanting to port GE:S over KM?

TriDefiance:
Sounds like a lot of work for ditching the Source Engine.

killermonkey:
No, I do not want to port GE:S.

but I do want to do something beyond GE:S at some point. I like $$ too ;-)

Enzo.Matrix:

--- Quote from: killermonkey on August 18, 2012, 03:22:12 am ---I like $$ too ;-)

--- End quote ---

Every time we do something big in the press I can count on my Dad "So when are you going to earn something from all this?"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version