GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:13:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: [ISSUE] Attempting to run dedicated Fedora Linux server  (Read 8002 times)

MSuLL

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • MSuLL has no influence.
[ISSUE] Attempting to run dedicated Fedora Linux server
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:10:34 am »

Hey all,

First off, thank you VERY much for all the work on this awesome mod.  As an Unreal Tournament (UT99) coder myself I know these things take a lot of time.

I'm working on getting a dedicated server up for my clan.  I'm running Linux, Fedora 12 flavor.  I'm a complete noob to server setup on anything Valve or Source; so with that in mind:

I've got all files in place, everything looks good and ready to go.  I've not done any modifications at all other than working in the server.cfg to set admin pass and server name.

To start the server, as per the wiki I issue:
./srcds_run -game gesource +map ge_runway +maxplayers 16

srcds_run spits a gross-looking segfault:

Console initialized.
srcds_i486[1583]: segfault at 0 ip (null) sp 00000000ffa32d9c error 14 in srcds_i486[8048000+e000]
./srcds_run: line 352: 1583 Segmentation fault $HL_CMD

Adding -debug to the command line shows no further information.  Worse comes to worse I can use Windows, but honestly I prefer to host game servers under Linux.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.  Thanks guys  :)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: [ISSUE] Attempting to run dedicated Fedora Linux server
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 07:00:07 pm »

looks like you need to reinstall your hlds on linux

MSuLL

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:22:43 pm »

looks like you need to reinstall your hlds on linux
That's what I thought too (when I saw the segfault), was hoping it was the hlds so I re-installed from scratch.  I'm wondering if it could just be an issue with how I'm running it.  Fedora 12 is very new, just might be an issue with the distro.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • V!NCENT has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:50:57 pm »

It might be the hlds... But it might also not be.

"Greeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat... ::)" I hear you think.

You see... Plain and simple: Fedora is a bitch. Fedora is not your avarage Linux distribution. It is not only bleeding edge, but it's also a playground for new ideas and concepts and there is code over there that might not even be inside of a development release of Linux itself. So there is a high probability of things that go bad, terribly bad.

But the biggest pain in the ass is SELinux (Secure Enhanced Linux). It is some kind of security bitch that goes beyond rights management, it plain and simple denies any request by an application that SELinux thinks it might not need and thus many things will just not even work and some won't even output anything to a console before it's terminated.

In order for anything to work with Fedora it needs a custom profile of things that it is allowed to do, otherwise it will be terminated on the spot.

So before you even try to do anything with Fedora I suggest that you use another distro first to get familiar with hlds and then you might considder running it on another Linux distribution ;)

However if you insist on running it on Fedora, there is an SELinux profiler configure thingy under (in Gnome) System -> Administration -> SELinux thingy. Maybe you could just set hlds to do everything it pleases ;)

PS: Of course profiling only needs to be done for anything that is not included in the Fedora repositories, which is the case for hlds...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:54:39 pm by V!NCENT »

MSuLL

• Agent
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 07:59:48 pm »

Hey V!NCENT thanks for your thoughts.  What you have said about Fedora is completely true  :)

I've been using Fedora on my home and work PCs since the 2nd release, I know it very well, which is why I'm using it with this server.  SELinux has been turned off (completely disabled from the kernel) since the initial install was complete, I figured it would cause some crazy issues.

I think I'll jump into Ubuntu server and see what luck I have.  I don't know it nearly as well, but I'd imagine that's what the majority of Linux servers for GE:S would be running.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 08:08:00 pm »

I think I'll jump into Ubuntu server and see what luck I have.  I don't know it nearly as well, but I'd imagine that's what the majority of Linux servers for GE:S would be running.
Probably a good idea ;)

My advice would be to grab a 1GB USB stick if you have one laying around and put an Ubuntu Live CD iso on it, boot it, download hlds and see it works. That way you don't have to srew around too much. With the Unetbootin app (bot available for Windows and Linux) you automagically download a popular Linux distro and the graphical app will trake care of everything. The only thing you have to do is make sure the USB stick is formated as FAT32 and flagged bootable. There are enough howto's on the internet on how to do this under Linux (if you don't already know how do it ;) ).

PS: Oh, and it also needs to be mounted first. Because hlds is not open source you might want to not grab the latest Ubuntu release but go with the 8.04 LTS version (Long Time Release) so the odds for succes are higher ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:22:12 pm by V!NCENT »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 09:08:37 pm »

Ubuntu 9.10 runs HLDS just fine. I use that for our dev testing linux server at my house.

I agree with ditching Fedora for server hosting, its just too likely you'll run into a problem...

Beta 4 is being built with G++/GCC 4.1 so it might not have as many issues on the newer distros.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:10:15 pm by killermonkey »

MSuLL

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 07:51:57 am »

Thanks everyone, we're online.

One last quick question: I want my players to be able to vote for the next map.  The WNx GE:S server(s?) have such a mod (which appears to be the same as one I've seen in TF2 as well) so I know it must exist, but my Googling is not yielding results  :(

If anyone can steer me in the right direction... thanks!

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 08:08:06 am »

Install Sourcemod. Look for a mapvote plugin, there are lots, test and choose your favorite.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 04:10:29 pm »

Beta 4 is being built with G++/GCC 4.1 so it might not have as many issues on the newer distros.
Although I totally support FLOSS, I want to add that GCC is slower than whatever Visual Studio's default compiler is.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 04:19:56 pm »

I've heard that but cannot compare because I don't use any MS programming tools. (Haven't since...2002?)  Is it slower because it's busy being better or is it filled with old stuff that could be improved but isn't because it works and no one wants to risk breaking anything?
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 06:50:55 pm »

The linker (gcc) is actually on par with VS 08

The compiler (g++) is much slower than VS 08. By an order of ~10 minutes

MSuLL

• Agent
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 12:59:46 am »

Alright, one more. Server was working fine, had about 10 players at one point and all was good.

I installed metamod and then sourcemod, and it works great, configured and running with no issues, or so I think.  Later I come to find out that if a second player joins, the server process crashes.  No errors specifically, the process just dies with a memory address in the message.  If I disable metamod and sourcemod the issue goes away again.  I've re-installed the mod's associated files, they aren't corrupt.

Just wondering if anyone's seen this, I know it may not be the right venue for such a question.

V!NCENT

• 00 Agent
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 04:40:05 am »

I've heard that but cannot compare because I don't use any MS programming tools. (Haven't since...2002?)  Is it slower because it's busy being better or is it filled with old stuff that could be improved but isn't because it works and no one wants to risk breaking anything?
Compare the speed of firefox on windows with firefox on linux.

And by speed I did not meant compile time. The reason for this is that there is a new feature in the visual studio compiler that microsoft added because they were getting their ass kicked by gcc in the past ;)

MSuLL

• Agent
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 04:48:31 am »

So... fun story:

My server has a 64-bit processor.  I downgraded the OS to 32-bit and now literally everything works great  ;)

Thanks for all your help, all.  Have a good one!

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:43 am »

Valve released an update monday that broke linux based servers, it has been fixed now but it is the reason why I do not recomend linux for source based games.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 11:45:00 am by keefy »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 12:38:53 pm »

Valve released an update monday that broke linux based servers
Valve breaking things with Updates? Now that's a suprise [/irony]

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:52 pm »

Valve has a team of maybe 2 linux jockeys. They hardly know their ass from their elbow and the support is near zilch. They basically say "if it works it works" but sometimes it doesn't work and their linux jockey is on vacation so some fucktard programmer uses non-standard C++ somewhere and linux doesn't work anymore.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up