GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 06:01:11 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 9035 times)

L. Spiro

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!L. Spiro is awe-inspiring!
Introduction
« on: July 02, 2017, 05:31:51 am »

I posted in another topic some CD-quality recordings of the game music on YouTube.

Since my old account from many years ago has been lost, I felt I should reintroduce myself.
I joined long ago to share maps I hacked out of the game and converted to .MAP to load into Hammer/WorldCraft.  These geometry blue prints could be used to get absolutely perfect geometry conversions so as to avoid any issues with proportions and scale.

I am a video-game developer.  I was a senior graphics programmer on Final Fantasy XV at Square Enix, and before that I was an R&D programmer on Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, Phantasy Star Nova, Silent Scope: Bone Eater, and a bunch of games spanning back many years, including Ghost Recon 2, 187 Ride or Die, etc.

Rare put out many hit games that, as a child, made me want to move to England and work at Rare.  I decided not to join Rare after they got bought by Microsoft, but I did move to England and make games near Twycross.  I am real-life friends with some of the developers of GoldenEye 007, including one of the composers, as well as friends with several people currently at Rare.

As GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark were heavily influential on my childhood and steered me towards making video games in England, it is quite a unique joy to talk with the people who worked directly on the games and hear their stories about those days long ago.

Similarly, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII are the reasons I joined Square Enix in Japan—another childhood goal of mine was to work on a Final Fantasy game in Japan at Square (later Square Enix)—and there I did language exchanges (I helped him with English 1 day each week, he helped me with Japanese 1 day each week) with a developer on Chrono Trigger, and again it was a unique joy to hear the stories of those working directly on the games.  As an example, he made the bike race in Chrono Trigger, and he said it was so cycle-intensive that all of the logic for the bike race is actually branchless.

As for my own work on Final Fantasy XV, I implemented the shadows, 50% of the clouds (there are 2 algorithms—I implemented the fluffy puffy clouds while the other algorithm does thinner wispier clouds), dynamic resolutions, and lots of optimizations.  I sharpened texture mipmaps and increased the texture quality throughout the game significantly.
I also did motion captures for Noctis, Ignis, Gladiolus, and a bunch of NPC’s.
This is “me” sitting.

I have been a fan of GoldenEye 007 and Perfect Dark since they came out, and last time I came around it was to share ripped geometry.
I’ve made advancements on my old tool and it exports much better, simpler, and robust geometry, and can now position textures automatically.
I can share new .MAP files if there is interest, although I expect by now there is no work being done on geometry anymore.

My main share this time is the release of CD-quality recordings of the game music.  If there is interest, I can send the original .WAV files (no MP3 compression, no YouTube compression) which could be used as a soundtrack for the mod.

L. Spiro
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:04:05 am by L. Spiro »

CptLima

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 210
  • CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!CptLima is awe-inspiring!
    • Follow Cpt. Lima on Twitch!
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:51 am »

Cool stuff... saw the game music post and loved it. I have a custom mix for every level that combines original remixes produced for the mod, and the original songs from the game; the fact that you were able to locate and share such high-quality versions of the original soundtrack is amazing, and I hope to add them to my playlist soon / replace the older versions I had.

Entropy-Soldier

• Managing Director
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 372
  • Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!Entropy-Soldier is awe-inspiring!
Re: Introduction
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:28:22 am »

Welcome to our community!  It's awesome that our project has caught the attention of accomplished individuals such as yourself.  You've done a lot of neat stuff and it was interesting to hear about it.

That being said, one of the core principles of GE:S is that all the work within it is our own.  We've avoided including ripped assets in the mod even for things like classic maps which obviously referenced the original material as heavily as possible.  I personally enjoyed giving some of these tracks a listen when you posted them the other day, but I'm sad to say we can't include them in an official GE:S release. 

Regardless, thanks for making them!  Even if we can't include them in GE:S I'm sure there are plenty of people besides myself and Lima who are happy to have higher-quality versions of these tracks out there.
"By reading this, you’ve done more than you can imagine." - Adrian
Pages: [1]   Go Up