GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 11:53:21 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Unlockable Characters via Achievements  (Read 4162 times)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
[Suggestion] Unlockable Characters via Achievements
« on: November 04, 2009, 10:52:16 pm »

I know that the extra characters (russian soldiers, scientist, civilians, janus marines etc...) aren't really a priority at the moment, but I've been thinking about this and I think it would be pretty damn cool if in the final version that you had to unlock them through specific achievements... so you have a specific achievement that you earn simultaneously to unlocking a character. Not difficult achievements of course, nobody wants to grind too hard to unlock game content.

For instance something like....

Achievement: A Gift From Your Friends Back at the Barracks...
- Win 5 rounds of You Only Live Twice on Frigate, Unlocks the Helicopter Pilot.

or...

Achievement: Closing time, James...
- Get 30 kills with Remote Mines on Facility Backzone, Unlocks the Russian Soldier.

or even...

Achievement: Siberian Separatist
- Get 20 kills with the Sniper Rifle on Surface, Unlocks Siberian Special Forces.

Thoughts? I think it would be a nice little feature and a little extra incentive for some people to play more, it may help to maintain a good player count in the future too.. Also no other mod has really ventured into achievement unlocks... it would make Goldeneye: Source even more unique.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
Re: [Suggestion] Unlockable Characters via Achievements
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 10:54:41 pm »

This has been tossed around a few times, but not really for unlocking characters, but rather different character outfits.

Once we have a majority of the characters done, you might see something like this implemented. No guarantee though.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:03:46 am »

Dwayne, Siberian Soldier, and Civilian are totally unlockworthy. Though I can imagine a system like this working pretty well since we already have quite a couple class based achievements.

Pink suit Bond unlock, anyone?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 12:08:51 am by Sergeant Kelly »

Kinky

• Level Designer / Environment Artist
  • Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Kinky has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:20:37 am »

Now now... any kind of pimpery will be reserved for Mr Moore when he arrives ;)

Currently in Progress - ge_jungle

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:07:48 am »

Unlockables are a mess and a half. The only game I actually think got it right was COD 4. They based their unlockables off of your use of a certain weapon in multiplayer (although it should also have been for single player, punks) and your global rank based on your performance ingame. This worked great for that type of game and the type of unlockables.

The problem lies in, what the developers of TF2 found out, is that most people will go into "grindhouse" type servers that specialize in achievement getting just to get an unlockable. That definitely was not the intention of the design, however, that was the outcome. You really can't grind out performance factors (like the awards in GE:S) so that is a better route.

I am personally against unlockables. Simply because they are yet another hurdle to overcome to get what you want. We are about delivering massive amounts of high-adrenaline nostalgia, not waving a carrot in front of your face until you blow up 200,000 remote mines with your good looks.

Nice idea, needs A LOT of thinking. I think its better left undeveloped.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 04:31:32 am »

Oufits unlockable is the idea we have been sure since 2007 we would like to do. So far, its an back-burner thing that will likely be done toward the end of production MP.

Having unlockables would be unique in mods, and your concepts are good, but I think the above passage is about all you'll see happen in GE:S, if something does.

Maxaxle

• ge_paintball 1
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Maxaxle has no influence.
    • My site
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 07:16:53 pm »

I think there should be a player model unlocked for watching all of the credits ;D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up