GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 16, 2024, 10:31:44 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

If you have a PS3, What made you buy it?

Games
- 3 (17.6%)
Controller
- 0 (0%)
Free Online
- 1 (5.9%)
Blu-Ray
- 4 (23.5%)
All of the above
- 9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Official Playstation 3 Discussions  (Read 47929 times)

nowhere

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • nowhere has no influence.
    • Janus Syndicate
Re: Official Playstation 3 Discussions
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 04:52:38 am »

I know the people who made this video personally. Look at #3 on their member list. Joined 08 Oct 2005, and I am the one who posted the smash my Ipod link in the old GE:S forums. They are a great bunch of guys, but I'll have to admit a little bit weak with the sledge. I can't wait for their Nintendo Wii video.
Yeah, but can you be in their videos? I don't think so, watch the Wii video. I'll point myself out in it.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 10:54:49 am »

you know i just got to thinking about something with the PS3

sony right now is estimated to be loseing around 300 dollars per system right.

and aprox 1 in 4 PS3s are on Ebay right now selling for around 1k-1.5k a peice... wouldnt it be funny if sony was paying employees or setting up places for them to be ebaying PS3s for them so they could be selling the PS3s at a profit, and just short change all the retailers. casue the retailers arent ever really going to know how many systems each others companys got so that would actualy work hahah.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

X23

• Secret Agent
  • X23 has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 03:35:57 pm »

If they did that and someone found out people would probably get mad.

I would laugh though.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 04:15:21 pm »

Pretty sure that theory is at least 10 shades of illegal lol all genius plots have some elment of legal issue tho

nowhere

• 00 Agent
    • Janus Syndicate
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 05:04:05 pm »

That would not only break several laws, but it would also be incredibly stupid. The PS3/PSP has cost the gaming department of Sony upwards of 100 million. Sony doesn't want to just make 1,000$ a console they want more people to have them. To think about this logically you have to think about why the PS3s are fetching so much on eBay, it's because there's so few PS3s. Why would Sony want to sell fewer PS3s just so they could make a tiny bit of extra money?

olileauk

• Last vestige of [L[T]K]
  • 00 Agent
  • olileauk has no influence.
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2006, 05:05:10 pm »

yeah, no kidding. although that sort of thing would be quite surprising to find, a huge company like sony selling consoles on eBay so they're no longer making a loss. haha :)
Been here since Alpha 1.1... Those were the days.

nowhere

• 00 Agent
    • Janus Syndicate
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2006, 05:18:12 pm »

yeah, no kidding. although that sort of thing would be quite surprising to find, a huge company like sony selling consoles on eBay so they're no longer making a loss. haha
They would still be losing money though, that's one of my points.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2006, 08:54:10 pm »

If either of you are going to be in a smash wii vid.  I demand that "Goldeneye Source Rules" be yelled out constantly.  and maybe add .com too.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Vin007

• Agent
  • Vin007 is looked down upon.
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2006, 09:19:55 pm »

The PS3/PSP has cost the gaming department of Sony upwards of 100 million.
Don't forget this can also be seen as costs for promoting the Blu-Ray for the PS3 and UMD for the PSP.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2006, 09:46:22 pm »

That would not only break several laws, but it would also be incredibly stupid. The PS3/PSP has cost the gaming department of Sony upwards of 100 million. Sony doesn't want to just make 1,000$ a console they want more people to have them. To think about this logically you have to think about why the PS3s are fetching so much on eBay, it's because there's so few PS3s. Why would Sony want to sell fewer PS3s just so they could make a tiny bit of extra money?

no theres nothing illegal about that at all, they can sell their product in ANYmarket they please. and if there were laws about that, they could sell 20k PS3s to an employee and have him sell them all to get around any wacky laws that most likely arent even on the books. (just cause its not fair doesnt mean its not illegal)

if the system right now is costing them 900 bucks to make, and they are selling for around 1500 per system at final bid on average. they are making a profit of 600 bucks per system sold when i checked last night they ahad around 27,000 up, if sony had just Ebayed all of those (of coursse the didnt) thats 12,000,000 in profit.... not to bad considering they are losing a crap load per system. i think it would have been a good strateige for them to do that themselves instead of having the consumers do it for them and they lose out. free market can be a real bitch sometimes hahah.

sony wouldnt bee selling fewer systems, they would be selling the same amount of systems at a higher price. simply put no matter what the price of the PS3 for the amount they had... they are going to sell out of every last one of them for sure even on Ebay.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

nowhere

• 00 Agent
    • Janus Syndicate
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2006, 10:20:31 pm »

no theres nothing illegal about that at all, they can sell their product in ANYmarket they please. and if there were laws about that, they could sell 20k PS3s to an employee and have him sell them all to get around any wacky laws that most likely arent even on the books. (just cause its not fair doesnt mean its not illegal)

if the system right now is costing them 900 bucks to make, and they are selling for around 1500 per system at final bid on average. they are making a profit of 600 bucks per system sold when i checked last night they ahad around 27,000 up, if sony had just Ebayed all of those (of coursse the didnt) thats 12,000,000 in profit.... not to bad considering they are losing a crap load per system. i think it would have been a good strateige for them to do that themselves instead of having the consumers do it for them and they lose out. free market can be a real bitch sometimes hahah.

sony wouldnt bee selling fewer systems, they would be selling the same amount of systems at a higher price. simply put no matter what the price of the PS3 for the amount they had... they are going to sell out of every last one of them for sure even on Ebay.

Actually, I'm almost 100% sure that it would break some trust law. They said # of consoles at launch and if they purposefully lower that number so that they could make more for selling them on eBay, then I'm betting that would be illegal.

Let me put what I was trying to say this way: Sony's ultimate goal with the PS3 is market penetration, they want to sell as many as they can put simply. The reason PS3s are getting so much money on eBay is because there aren't that many. If Sony had produced a crapload of them, then yes, they would probably still sellout but they definitely wouldn't fetch as much on eBay. Hence it would make no sense for Sony to want to lower the number of consoles they sell at launch just so they could get a little bit more money by selling them on eBay. Sony would've definitely rathered to have a lot of them produced than to have this shortage and markup on eBay.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2006, 10:35:19 pm »

Its basic economics.   Supply vs Demand.

Supply = Low
Demand = High
Cost = Cant change..  normaly will
Re-sale cost = Sky rockets.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

nowhere

• 00 Agent
    • Janus Syndicate
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2006, 12:47:56 am »

Exactly Enzo, and Sony wants Supply and Demand to be high. They don't want Supply to be low, especially not when the demand is highest. That's why it would make no sense for them to purposefully lower the amount of consoles available to make a tiny bit of money.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2006, 02:03:10 am »

:: They don't want Supply to be low, especially not when the demand is highest. That's why it would make no sense for them to purposefully lower the amount of consoles available to make a tiny bit of money.

Not necessarily.

Let's look at it the Viacvian way: Sony could make more PS3s and put them out if they really wanted to because they're big enough, so why don't they?"

Right now, they have no competition.  360 is already out and established, and Revolution is still a ways off, so they have the Shiny New Toy market right now.  They are the only Shiny New Toy, and will be for a while.  As long as they are the only Shiny New Toy, they have the market cornered.

Sony is taking a hit on every unit; printer manufacturers take a hit on every unit.  Printer companies earn profit on ink, Sony must earn profit on game sales.  To sell games, you need game contracts.  You need to tell game studios you have a strong, enduring product.  One that will create a large userbase to buy lots of games.

Which sounds better:
"We sold out opening day, and now we move a few units every week."
"We've sold out every day for the first month! People camp out in line before stores open for the first two weeks! We're on the news because of the media frenzy!  People are paying sixteen grand to get a console to play YOUR NEW BLOCKBUSTER GAME, {EA/Ubisoft/whatever}!"

We've discovered something.  Sony makes PS3 look bigger than it is, by abusing metrics of popularity.  PS3 (artificially) sells out every day, starting from release until they eventually satiate the market.  PS3 gets on TV, newspapers, and Goldeneye Source Forums.  Sony doesn't care about making money off of PS3 and we know this because they sell at a loss, so I ask you, nowhere, why wouldn't they want to have low supply when demand is high?  They sell more they LOSE MORE because each unit is -$300!  They want to choke sales and spread those losses out over the coming weeks, while buiding investment in Buzz, Popularity, and Attention from the mass media, so they can get the game studios to sign exclusives to Sony and not to Nintendo, who's known for going for exclusive contracts and using them to dominate whenever possible.

Remember, they are the only Shiny New Toy on the market, and will be until Revolution comes around the corner.  Their best strategy is to exploit their solitary position to get the contracts and distribute their losses, so when Revolution comes out, PS3 will have the game catalogue to stay competitive.

At least, that's what I think.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 02:17:07 am by Viashino Cutthroat »
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

nowhere

• 00 Agent
    • Janus Syndicate
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2006, 03:28:23 am »

The Wii is coming out in an hour and a half. So how long do they get to be the newest toy on the market? Let's see.... 2 days. They would probably need a month to accomplish what you're describing, plus, even if they had made 3-4 million PS3s for launch they would still have sold out and you're telling me Sony would rather make 300-500 thousand available at launch? So you think Sony would rather say "We've sold 350,000 units" while the 360 and the Wii have sold in the millions?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 03:31:24 am by nowhere »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up