GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:41:33 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 81215  (Read 6835 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 81215
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:36:59 am »

I wish people (testers and devs) would talk to me. That's one reason why I have a PM box and there's a tester forum and I'm on AIM and Steam and this thread will work too.  Today ends with Spider, not unlike the Man in the Yellow Hat of Curious George fame, calming down a situation that never should've became an issue in the first place, except there is a V, a B, and a K who can't help but turn into the three stooges when the opportunity presents itself.  Anyway, now that I finally have recieved some feedback, I can make some tweeks.  Here's the poop.

Quote from: Changelog
DD44: Firing rate is consistent for pistols.
DD44: PC Accuracy Penalty is now halved, from 40% to 22.5%. (Yes, that's half.)
AuG: Hitbox flag is now set. (It is a damage weapon, not an instagib. AuG to limb with sufficient armor and +10 handicap is not lethal in Goldeneye and is the only way to survive a successful Golden Gun strike.)
Au7: Hitbox flag is now set.
Au7: Firing rate is consistent for pistols.
Ag7: Firing rate is consistent for pistols.
Bishop: Tap-fire rate reduced to combat spamming.
Bishop: PC Damage Buff reduced from +50% to +40%.
Bishop: Zoom speed increased from 0.7s to 0.6s to encourage use of scope.

I had DD44 and PP7 firing more slowly than PP7S. This was originally intended to see which tempo fit best with the new GES gameplay. I started to like the slower rate because new GES is about not-spamming, but testing shows that people want to throw their magazine away and die while reloading, so the semi-automatic pistols will let you make a fool of yourself just as they have in previous editions of Goldeneye Source.

I gave all the pistols an accuracy penalty to ensure that they don't fall into the role of sniping weapons superior to the long rifles or Bishop.  However, the 40% that felt right for PP7/S always seemed a bit much for DD44, so I'm tightening it up for now and perhaps forever.  I probably should've set it here in the first place but I wanted to keep the deviation constant across all the pistols.

I don't know if the hitbox override on the Au's was an oversight or what, but with the damage system working almost-perfectly, no override is necessary.  And as stated, there is a special case that we may as well get right since we're here. :D

Sniper rifle was part of the drama, so I'm medling with it again.  +40% puts it in the AR33/Phantom damage bracket; I had it at +50% which allowed for a headshot+limbshot to do lethal damage to a full-health/no-armor player, but because testing is upset that they get shot up and die, I'm taking it back a step, accelerating the zoom a step, and slowing the semi-auto fire rate.  I know when I played Goldeneye 007, Sniper Rifle saw plenty of dogfighting as well as long-range battles, but so much Counterstrike has the average tester all upset about the previous 5.35 rounds per second semi-auto rate.  It is now 3.45 r/s.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: VC's Laboratory 81215
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 06:15:19 am »

HAHA, the first part of this blog reads like a 13 year olds rant blog after he got home from school being picked on by everyone because he has overhead braces and plays with little toy figurines in the lunch room...

Good work VC, we love you, if we didn't you'd be a gray person!

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:25:35 am »

the big problem with design, is that so many people try to treat the symptom and not the disease and as a result people end up arguing the wrong treatment while the patient is still hacking up a lung.

a good example was the sniper pp7 same accuracy thing. yea the sniper shouldn't be identical to a pistol when unsighted, but accuracy isn't the issue, its a symptom. the problem was it shot from the hip identical, what are methods to change that, but keep the accuracy cannon? ill let the community mill that design problem over in their head to see if they get a solution hehe. maybe someone will come up with the same solution we did.

i'm telling you dude, letting people spam is going to be the best thing ever haha go ahead and spam me in the back, ill turn around blast you 2 times in the head and go on about my business. Invul is one of the best design implementations that makes GE64 so bad ass.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:34:26 am »

Ahh let me make a distinction on spamming:

Unzoomed firing should not award the player with accuracy (as was the case with the sniper rifle)
Fast firing is taken care of by invuln NOT accuracy, CSS implemented loss of accuracy

This is what we were discussing with more words of course

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 03:51:04 am »

I can't believe how unique all these details are for a game. Damage values for guns, damage locations, gun accuracy. This is stuff I'd love to tinker around with, but my mindset isn't good for programming, developing, and all that jazz.
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!
Pages: [1]   Go Up