GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:19:33 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Character Artist and Animator, props etc.  (Read 5301 times)

Lord_Redikkulus

Character Artist and Animator, props etc.
« on: August 03, 2009, 03:55:33 am »

Hello, I was thrilled to find this project as GE is an old favorite indeed. The images in the media thread look fantastic, btw. I am a senior online college game art and design student specializing in characters and props for games. I have spent the last few years making 2D and 3D games outside of class with other student programmers and artists, mostly in Torque.

I am a dedicated artist with a tireless work ethic and a commitment to achieving professional results (and success.) I would be delighted to have a part in this project because it presents the great possibility for me to learn a new engine and improve my skills. Please visit my website www.gregfavre.com for a complete portfolio including animation videos, resume and bio.

- Greg Favre

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 02:51:47 am by Lord_Redikkulus »

Goldenzen

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 133
  • Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!Goldenzen is awe-inspiring!
    • GoldenZen music - Nothing`s impossible
Re: Character Artist and Animator, props etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 07:58:16 am »

Hi Greg,

looking at your post you would like to apply for character or prop guy, I just let the animation stuff out, I`ll have to watch some but I want to talk about your modeling first:

I only know little about 3d stuff and model making, I`ve only worked about 6 years with C4d and not very intensively.

Your stuff showed here and on your site, at least the characters, don`t convince me to be quite honest. No hard feelings, your story or your professional career looks interesting but your character models look more like some generations past our todays possibilities.
Look at our GES models, IMO they`re far away from the character`s you have made, maybe you need to get in touch with some more modern programs or technologies, then it could turn out pretty good, but like I said IMO the models don`t fit the current demanded niveau.

And one more thing: I think GES shouldn't`t be the platform for you to LEARN a new engine IMO you should bring some knowledge already. And if you just get in touch with GES programs now, you already need a lot of time to get on a acceptable niveau.

I hope I wasn`t to mean, like I said I don`t want to say to much in 3d world, because it`s not mine, the words up to our 3d artists maybe they like your work.

Sincerely,

Yannick
"...ни однохо выздоха...гдые вашй.... I`m alone" Россия

опасно - не входитъ - Ыанник

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:42:05 am »

TBH, i don't know why you choosed this image to represent your work.
The character proportions looking very strange (for the most of your characters).
I never played Gauntlet, so i don't know if you just reassembled the look of the original.
The little outdated look Goldenzen mentioned might be engine related, so nothing to complain about.

In fact, i see all the basics are there and i'm sure you got the potential and you're willing to improve your skills. So i see no reason for you not to get a trial.

Let's wait for one of the lead devs to come here and post his thoughts about it.

If you got any additional work, like some high-poly characters or props, feel free to post it here.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 01:36:12 pm »

I looked at your website and I must say I REALLY like those plant models you made. Your props look 100 times better than your characters. Be it the simplicity factor, but I think its the proportions.

The only character I really thought was perfect, given the low poly nature, was the ghost. The other bipeds looked very squat and mal-proportioned. You definitely have skill in low-poly modeling, there is no doubt about it.

I would like to see you model a character for us given a limit of 5000 polys and see what your creativity and skill can deliver. I am definitely up for a trial for this guy, but I am skeptical if he can get the proportions correct in a decent amount of time. Be aware that we will most likely have you delete and start over MANY times before the trial is over if we see that you have gone down a bad route. If you are not comfortable with this prospect I don't suggest you continue, but if you are we will guide you to excellence, that is guaranteed!

Lord_Redikkulus

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 02:51:12 am »

Your critiques are extremely helpful in altering my perspective and I thank you for them in earnest. I would like to pay diligence and re-apply later when I'm better prepared if that is acceptable. Thanks again for the good word.

- Greg

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 09:26:43 am »

i agree with monkey, i think your plants are really nice, but your characters are lacking for modern games.

i'm interested to see what you can do though so go ahead and make a trial thread in the trials section
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms
Pages: [1]   Go Up