GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 02:09:05 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sc_giza_d  (Read 5681 times)

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.
sc_giza_d
« on: September 02, 2012, 06:14:55 pm »

A quick map and fun project made for my pleasure, sc_giza allows you to explore the Great Pyramid of Giza at your own pace. Most internal and measurements are accurate to the real thing, except for the ascending and descending angles of the interior shafts, which I had to eyeball, and the various shafts coming from the Queen's Chamber and Kings chamber, which are irregularly shapped. Instead of recreating the exterior as it stands today, I opted to include the polished limestone casing (shining in all its splendor) which continued to stand with the Great Pyramid until 1300 C.E. when a massive earthquake shook many of them loose (and which were later used in construction projects around the area).

Please note that there are no hieroglyphics inside of this pyramid because there are no hieroglyphics inside of the real thing except for a disputed forgery bearing the name of Khufu.

While this map is not intended for play, it is nominally equipped for it with 8 player spawns, 8 Janus spawns and 8 MI6 spawns. There are no weapon spawns.

Some personal thoughts on the making. It was fun, quick, and a pain in the ass. I cannot fathom how much trouble it must have caused the Egyptians to build the real thing (no wisecracks about slaves please, that's been tossed out by academia).

Special thanks to Kraid for fixing it up beyond what I have envisioned.

Download It Here

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:22:21 pm by Sam Colt »
Completed: twine_mi6_sc, 1138_hangout, ge_garrison

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
Re: sc_giza
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:08:19 am »

looks interesting Sam...ill have to keep an eye out for this one

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 02:34:20 am »

Unlit?

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
  • Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.Sam Colt is a force to reckon with.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 03:49:54 am »

Yes, unlit. Just a quick map I made for myself to tour the Great Pyramid, but I figured others might be interested.

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 03:51:57 am »

I don't get it..?

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 03:55:09 am »

Toured the Great Pyramid have you? It was just a side project for my own amusement, building the Great Pyramid in the only way I possible could have. I figured some other people might be interested in taking a tour.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 03:57:23 am by Sam Colt »

liamcadhain

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 02:33:45 pm »

Looks pretty cool Sam, well done. I must take a virtual tour of it

kraid

• Game Artist
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 07:34:53 pm »

I don't see a reason why it shouldn't be visually apealing, especially since it's a virtual tour.
But i see why you didn't compile it with lights. (compile times anyone?)

In fact i compiled it with lights and crawling arround in it with only a flashlight adds a lot to the athmosphere.
Also it could benefit from a soundscape.
And you missed out a few important details e.g. the small shaft that was meant to lead the soul of the pharao directly towards the polar star.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 01:12:17 pm »

there was an egyptain giza map in Goldeneye Rogue Agent

Sam Colt

• Secret Agent
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 02:07:04 pm »

The map did have lights in it but they didn't compile for whatever reason. There are a lot of small details I left out, the soul shafts from the King and Queen's chamber, the third sealed chamber connected to the the shaft leading from Queen's chamber, the drained passage, the passage carved into the pyramid by looters. But very well, I can add these things if you think it's worth the effort.

kraid

• Game Artist
    • my Homepage
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 03:01:05 pm »

I'd say the light didn't compile because of issues in the bsp or even leaks.
I cannot say exactly because a few of these issues might have been caused by the decompiling (e.g. invalid faces on the skybox pyramids).
But i found the env_light and just today a single light entity in the empty part of the pyramid.

After messing arround a bit with your map, i have to say that some things are far from how a map should be built.
But i didn't want to recreate the whole thing from scratch, so i keept the most parts and only edited where it was neccessary to guarant a complete compile.

I'm adding a zip with the compiled map and the vmf i compiled it from.
I've added in lights and even light sources (props). One thing that's still missing are env_sprite entities to fake lightning on the lamps.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/qrra51snf890aq3/giza_k.zip

When thinking about further optimisation, i'd say it might be a good idea to move even bigger parts of the map to the skybox, so that the actual map is only a small corridor containing the chambers, shafts and a small piece of the outside area where the player starts.
Seriously, i don't think many ppl would like to travel arround the outside part much, especially since it's also only a small border arround the pyramid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up