GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 29, 2024, 01:38:40 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: [For beta 3.0] How to Fix Server Issues  (Read 16382 times)

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
Re: How to Fix Server Issues
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 06:01:04 pm »

gesource_ded_patch.zip is still needed by all clients
Client don't need anything, don't start to split the player base heh? That patch is server side only :/

Mods should just have their OWN app, like "mod dedicated server" so these conflicts with their commercial stuff doesnt occur
They did it, its called episode1 and orangebox :)

Staaf

• Secret Agent
  • Staaf has no influence.
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 06:18:37 pm »

Client don't need anything, don't start to split the player base heh? That patch is server side only :/

howcome i get the No Steam Logon message again while my server is updated properly then?

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • steven_m64 has no influence.
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 06:22:23 pm »

i was the one that made that patch, and yes it IS NEEDED by clients, servers with the patch cant be viewed on the server list by players without it.

and the playerbase has been split since valve first broke everything so please stick to commentary of things you actually understand. ;)

everything wont be fixed for everyone until the team releases the next update witch makes things more simple for noobs.

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 06:29:23 pm »

howcome i get the No Steam Logon message again while my server is updated properly then?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7579-RPSX-6098

if you still cant get ingame after that then last effort you can try is to go exit steam then move to the steam folder and delete everything other then steam.exe and the steamapps folder and relaunch steam.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 08:51:29 pm »

i was the one that made that patch, and yes it IS NEEDED by clients, servers with the patch cant be viewed on the server list by players without it.
Client needs the patch to play on patched servers. Rigth now there are 25 non patched servers and 19 patched. And 99.99% non patched clients. So if you want to play and have a chance to find a filled up server, do NOT install the patch.
Server host can still use the newly provided gameinfo.txt to save them the asshle of the hl2 folders copy/past. Install the patch and you will never have any client.

please stick to commentary of things you actually understand.
I perfectly understand 99.99% of people out there runs a non patched client. I also understand the only servers filling up are those not patched.

GES player base is right now NOT splited. Don't split it, client shouldn't install the patch :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:58:02 pm by Doc.NO »

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 09:59:18 pm »

screw the patch really what we need is mod update to make everything as it should be.

and whether a client should or should not patch depends on the player and what method they use to get and play ingame.

the steam server browser will only list servers with the steam.inf patch probably due to the fact it will assume the mods have that setting set as it should be.

meanwhile clients that do not have the steam.inf and launch the game and use the games internal server browser will only see the list of servers that don't have the steam.inf

thus creating a split of players that use the internal browser and those that use the steam browser.

for the sake of continuity its best if everyone has the same files so i think players need the patch.

but this is all such crap and i think the team needs to just hurry up and release the next version :D

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 10:08:10 pm »

ohhhhh well that explains now why I see no players on in the steam browser..and then when I go in game there are a few servers with players. :) Odd, but I guess it makes sense.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

The Cy

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!The Cy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 10:34:21 pm »

yeah, we definitely need 3.1.. my precccccccious   ;D
finished: ge_funhouse v4 Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?urjfs3ra2zdslcz

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 05:49:56 am »

We were waiting on the steam situation to resolve before releasing the patch.  No point in releasing a patch that fixes bugs when the steam situation is fubar.   
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 06:07:57 am »

plus Valve could release a fix that would break 3.1 then we'd have to release another patch... its just a mess right now and its not our fault

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009, 06:08:04 pm »

valve releases "fixes" that break things all the time.

postponing things is often counter productive due to that fact, its better to just go with the flow.  :P

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009, 11:57:47 pm »

Actually this is the first time a valve update has broken our OrangeBox version from being at least playable for all players. There has always been little server browser bugs the testers endured from time to time, but never substantial so that we wouldnt release 3.0 on time. I still think some people here dont know the facts and thus arent in the position to say we should or shouldnt be releasing.

Our patch is basically ready but we have not tested it at length in this recent update. So we will take at least a week at *postpone* status since an issue may still exist, and we feel its negative to our mod to do otherwise than our decision, and its not in need of debate :)

This in no way is our fault but if we release prematurely we then take on some responsibility and if servers are confusing for people to navigate they will then blame us not valve ; since the majority wont check our forums/site, just leaving our playerbase without investigation. We dont want that. We like smooth conditions for our fans, not workarounds, and its actually up to valve to provide mods with that evironment of ease.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:38:49 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

CCsaint10

• CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2009, 08:38:34 am »

I understand what you are saying wake...however, it has seemed like valve "released" a fix...and as for as that update shows, it seems like they aren't aware of any more problems. I mean the last update "fixed incompatibility with mods" obviously didn't fix it...and then from the sound of this update saying "you need to use this installer since the new files aren't compatible with the old one" sounds like they are just saying..."screw it, we don't want to figure it out".....which seems kind of sad to me.

Am I understanding this right? Does Valve STILL have no clue that these problems are still problems??? or are they ACTUALLY working on a fix??

I do agree with you wake, KM, and everyone that says not to release 3.1 yet, but i just want to know if Valve REALLY is aware of the problem since it has been over a month and they haven't fixed it.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 11:13:37 am »

I bet Valve is aware; someone must have sent them an e-mail reporting the problem. Probably the GES team did.

CCsaint10

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 06:45:03 pm »

no offense PPK, but do any devs know the answer? And if so, what is left to fix?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up